Storm v Devils - 10/09 @ 19:00 - CC - Chat/Updates

Johnnybravo1927

toy_car_uk said:
brief summary

Our luck was bad, if a bounce or deflection could go against us it did.
but that is not why we lost.

The officiating was bad even by EIHL standards.
Again, that is not why we lost.

Storm and Hull before them have always looked for the odd man breakaway against us under Pacha, It seem we still learnt that is the case. Our team, pretty much to a man made huge mistakes at some point in the game some players time and time again. Turn overs, failing to clear the zone, 4 player watching a puck sail by each expecting the other to pick it up. Sad to say that over all it was one of worst performances I have seen from a Devils team. The team ultimately gifted The Storm 4 goals and that is why we lost the game.

Sadly there was a very drunk and very bad winner of a Storm Fan goading Devils fans in the gents toilet after the game. (He was very much the exception) but if a Devils fan had risen to his taunts its not hard to imaging it escalating. With hind sight I should have alerted the stewards to him.

Thats a shame about that one 'fan' as on the whole I thought their fans were very pleasant

DevilDom

Didn't watch the game but reading the posts on here and Twitter from people I know and respect who did it sounds like we made a lot of uncharacteristic errors. I wonder if the pressure of expectation may have impacted on some players performance? We have after all come into the season with management (rightly) saying the aim is to win the league. In the past 2 years the aim was simply to be competitive and entertain, although we far exceeded that.

Johnnybravo1927 said:
Thats a shame about that one 'fan' as on the whole I thought their fans were very pleasant
Indeed. To clarify for anyone who doesn't know, the storm fans and organisation are some of the most welcoming and friendly in the league. Just a one off alcohol fuelled fan letting them down on this occasion.

Russky

Mods. please delete the immediate above post made by me.

Sheincar said:
I don't believe you were at the game & there was no webcast so p sure you're in any position to comment with such authority.
I dont know what your problem is with me. I was merely expressing my opinion based on my knowledge of the game and on the texts I received from two people at the game.

I was hosting MNL coverage of the game which meant I was getting detailed texts on what was
happening. The texters know the game and are able to read the game as it happens and thus inform me what is happening. I then transpose their texts almost word for word editing and amending if necessary to make it more readable for the MNL viewers

I have been watching Ice hockey for nearly twenty years and have built up a significant knowledge of the Devils and the game in general as a result. I use my knowledge to formulate my opinion which I then post on here.

Whether you agree or disagree with me is neither here or there but to challenge my opinion but sayiing i have no authority to express it makes you look t as if you think you are the only one who knows what they are talkng about. Sorry to shatter the illusion but I am intelligent and articulate enough to formulate an express my opinion but it is in no way anyway less valid than yours Sheincar.

How I express myself on here is totally up to me, but if you mistakenly misinterpret my posts thats your problem not mine and I wont amend my posting style or my opinions for any self appointed hockey experts, who think they can jump on any one poster that dares to express an opinion contrary to the so called hockey experts

Last edited:

backrow

I wasn't at the game either but I thought Russky's were fair and very well expressed! They did seem to support or confirm the MNL coverage and poste from other Devils' fans.

Electro

I too was not present at the game and have made comments on it. I gained information personally from the MNL, which is invaluable and long may it continue. I'm not always present at games or available to watch on streams thanks to being committed on weekends in a role/position that takes me around the UK, but I'm able to view MNL. I also spoke to people who where at the game and frankly echoed their opinions, some qualified to express that opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheincar said:
Russky said:
To me its virtually a cardinal sin to concede a shorthanded goal at any time. We were disapointing tonight. The Storm's D unit looked solid and were well drilled. They knew their tasks.

At the moment our lines are not gelling and the team as whole looks a little disjointed and were not firing on all cylinders tonight.

Despite having had 7 pre-season games it will still take a while for the team to click and find the their best plays. Lordo is still tinkering with the line combinations and until he is happy with and settled on the best combinations and dynamics at his disposal, the Devils wont be hitting top gear. I just hope he sorts it relatively soon.
I don't believe you were at the game & there was no webcast so not sure you're in any position to comment with such authority.
What is the problem? Jesus Christ.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

E.D.S.

Wannabe2 said:
E.D.S. said:
All of this comes with the caveat that it's one competitive game in (even then I feel a bit generous given pre-season) but.....
We seem to lack ideas. Much like last season we only have a Plan A. Credit to the Storm they played a low trap with 4 players behind the red line when the Devils were re-grouping behind the net. Storm set up as a Team who were playing a much stronger opposition and looking for any counterattack. It worked and they did well. They were solid. To not be able to break down a Team like that is very worrying. I'm still looking at the coach. Not sure he has the ideas or experience to do what's required here. Good player, invaluable on the penalty kill but as someone to devise a master plan to win games, for me it just isn't Lord. Now before anyone starts yelling about it being the first game in, this is a continuation of last season for me. When the blaze Stuffed us in the Playoffs last season they figured us out and we had no plan B. It was much the same last night.
Speaking of continuation from last season again.... Hotham... Had one of those games last season when he looked like he'd brought his iPad on the ice with him. Looked bored and disinterested defensively but came to life when in their blue line. Great hands and skill but looks so disinterested at the back with the usual turnovers and give aways.

I echo the sentiment re: Haddad and Doucet. Real tried hard and worked their butts off. In sure their more to come from the new boys but on this showing (yes it's only one showing) they were poor.
As for Borderleau, he's a presence no doubt. Can only see McGratton stepping up. He could be a real weapon. Nobody on the storm bench wanted to fight him (not that they have any real fighters). So he could be a presence on the ice without spending time in the box.
In short, some positives trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the team but there are worrying signs and those sit with the coach for me. This isn't a bring back Franny post at all but Lords got this season (half a season) to prove himself. Hope he does as it but we look a bit one dimensional now, as we did last season.
Onwards and upwards.

Storm don't have any real fighters, hello Eric Neilson will fight anyone, he is one tough cookie, but huge mates with Bordeleau.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello, thank you for the correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russky

I dont know what the problem is Danhall76. it seems that some people think you can't have an opinion on a game if you weren't there in person, what a ridikculous assumption!! I wasnt at the assassination of JFK as it was before I was born, but i can still have an informed opinion on it.

Wannabe2

Forget those stupid comments mate, because that's what they were,I for one respect your views, they are very unbiased , informative,and very passionate. Huge thanks for your incredible work on MNL without very special people like yourself, we would be up shits creek.

Russky

Wannabe2 said:
Forget those stupid comments mate, because that's what they were,I for one respect your views, they are very unbiased , informative,and very passionate. Huge thanks for your incredible work on MNL without very special people like yourself, we would be up shits creek.
Cheers Wannabe2, that means alot.

terry hunt

Russky you must continue to express your opinions even if they dont suit others.You are entitled

to do so.

There is gang of so-called "hockey experts" onn here who jump on anyone who dares to disagree

with them.

Never forget that the most expert hockey people in Cardiff are connected with the Devils and look

how often they get things wrong.

They will probably put you on their hate list with Electro.

Electro

Steve King wrote on his Twitter page "Great atmosphere tonight and a dominating performance by the ". I'm not a gambler, but I'd bet a shit load of cash Sheincar isn't going to call him out on that opinion. [emoji5]

Finny

Electro said:
Steve King wrote on his Twitter page "Great atmosphere tonight and a dominating performance by the ". I'm not a gambler, but I'd bet a shit load of cash Sheincar isn't going to call him out on that opinion. [emoji5]

Difference being Steve King watched the game on the webcast.

I can see where Sheila was coming from. I was surprised Russky gave such an indepth and seemingly personal match report when he didn't see any of the game. Yes he was getting texts from the game but they are still second-hand.

Russky

Finny, it wasnt a match report just my opinion on the game, formulated from the excellent detailed texts i was receiving and an ability to intepret the texts and also 'reading between the lines' of the texts received. I am sure you have the same skill having seen so many Devils games over the years, also have an ability to interpret statistical information. Its really not 'rocket science'.

Russky

Finny said:
I've learnt that one's man miss is another man's great save. Hence why I very rarely comment on game's I haven't seen.
Thats your choice but I do have information in the form of the detailed reliable texts on which to base my opinion, as I said earlier, I wasnt at the assassination of JFK as it was before i was born but I am still able to form an informed opinion on it from information subsequently available.

Wannabe2

People read things in different ways, the Storm game I couldn't go, no webcast, so Russky's interpretation of the game was spot on for me.

Russky

To follow up on Electro's earlier post re Steve King's Twitter post:

Nobody should have the right to 'call out' a fellow member and poster over their post just because someone simply does not agree with the opnion of the poster. To do that is to disrespect not only the poster but it undermines people's freedom of expression. Also to deride, ridicule or to undermine the validity of another persons post or opinion is highly disrespectful and not worthy behaviour of this forum.

Last edited: