Storm v Devils - 10/09 @ 19:00 - CC - Chat/Updates

Russky

To me its virtually a cardinal sin to concede a shorthanded goal at any time. We were disapointing tonight. The Storm's D unit looked solid and were well drilled. They knew their tasks.

At the moment our lines are not gelling and the team as whole looks a little disjointed and were not firing on all cylinders tonight.

Despite having had 7 pre-season games it will still take a while for the team to click and find the their best plays. Lordo is still tinkering with the line combinations and until he is happy with and settled on the best combinations and dynamics at his disposal, the Devils wont be hitting top gear. I just hope he sorts it relatively soon.

osh

So, a very disappointing start to the season no matter how anyone tries to disguise it. Plenty of preseason games to organise lines, and yet we seem to be defensively poor ( according to friends who attended the game ) let's hope for a reality check and a better performance tonight against the Clan. I have to say that I'm not at all comfortable with our defensive line up so far this season, and Hotham and Fournier worry me for their casual attitude in defence despite their prowess going forward.

wildthing74

Very poor tonight and I'm struggling to find any positives other than at least it was not a league game.

We gave the puck away time after time and poor turnovers cost at least 2 if not 3 of the goals.So often we lost possession on their blue line and yet they always seemed to be capitalising and even when we were on the PP they looked more dangerous on the break.

It was a poor night for the D for sure and I'm not a fan of juggling lines which we seemed to do all night.I thought such a long pre season would see us come out flying but instead we were flat from the start and ironically looked like we were struggling on the small ice.Crazy to even think that so soon out of BBT but that's how it looked and many fans commented as such.

We had a huge travelling support as well as the bus I would estimate another 70-80 others so well over 100 which is fantastic for a CC game after so many pre season games.

Bordeleau threw a couple of big hits and was straight in when Valcek started being a dick and made sure he put a stop to it pronto.He and Neilson didn't seem to be on the ice that often at the same time and never looked like getting involved which I'm glad about I would rather see our guy settle in first.

Tonight's game v Clan is way more important IMO abs I hope with a good crowd expected we put the Storm game behind us.I hope we stick to settled lines too as otherwise how are we going to find any rythem?

kettdevil1

Bad day at the office. Credit to Haddad and Doucet who battled hard all game and created plenty of chances but in general we never got to grips with the Storm's game plan and at times, we seemed as though we were forgetting the basics. Passing was poor, defensive responsibility was poor and accuracy of shooting poor.

These games happen from time to time in a season but it is frustrating that it happened last night in front of a large and vocal away support. Tonight has just got a lot bigger, beat the Clan and last night's game will fade from the memory, phone in another performance and the pressure goes up a lot.

Credit where it is due, the Storm are no pushovers this season, they are fast, tenacious and deserved the W. Off the ice (and as ever in Manchester) the welcome was warm, friendly and despite the result, Manchester is a cracking away trip.

august04

wildthing74 said:
I hope we stick to settled lines too as otherwise how are we going to find any rythem?
Let's be honest, Lord spent virtually all last season tinkering with the lines too. We never found any rhythm then either.

Johnnybravo1927

Wasnt the result I expected but thats thevway it is. Despite expectations being high this yearcwe havevno god given right to win. Manchester storm are a much improved side on last year and deserved their win. We never clicked at all last night despite a few periods of play. On the plus side Bordeleau looks to play his part well and my first visit to manchester brought back memories of the BBT. Onwards and upwards from here starting tonight

Electro

Its not surprising to see the same issues as last yr when those issues are not addressed & ignored.

Hopefully this team has enough experience to voice issues in the dressing room and work around a solution.

Maybe next season pre season should be against teams of a similar standard, playing against better teams only shuts your lines down before you get to experience there potential, leaves players disheartened and frankly since few fans turn up to watch, it maybe more financially benefiting to have a better prepared team who'll likely attract more fans in a potential winning season.

It's to early in the season to write off this team, but it does show, it takes more to run a team than simply buying players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheincar

Russky said:
To me its virtually a cardinal sin to concede a shorthanded goal at any time. We were disapointing tonight. The Storm's D unit looked solid and were well drilled. They knew their tasks.

At the moment our lines are not gelling and the team as whole looks a little disjointed and were not firing on all cylinders tonight.

Despite having had 7 pre-season games it will still take a while for the team to click and find the their best plays. Lordo is still tinkering with the line combinations and until he is happy with and settled on the best combinations and dynamics at his disposal, the Devils wont be hitting top gear. I just hope he sorts it relatively soon.
I don't believe you were at the game & there was no webcast so not sure you're in any position to comment with such authority.

Ocko

Manchester is probably going to be one of the tougher places to go this year. They will be very similar to a Gerad Adams Devils team; built to play in a small rink and win their home games. Plenty of teams will lose there and it's only a Challenge Cup game, which is harder to not qualify for than it is to qualify.

Lines might not be clicking but that is probably more individuals rather than a coaching issue. I'm not going to pretend, I've not seen a game for 3 weeks but the only issue seems to be the Bentivoglio and Ulmer line. Joey Martin makes any line good, the Lord and Myers line (with whoever they are lining up with) has had good reports and the fourth isn't there to score goals. It leaves one line, and those two players have always lit it up together - it'll come, it's our first competitive game. The first 4 preseason games were just fitness preps such was the class of the opposition.

And the D will be far away from their sharpness; Hotham and Fournier missed most of the preseason so will be a few weeks behind.

Nothing to panic about and no shame in losing away to the Storm, especially on the first weekend of the season.

E.D.S.

All of this comes with the caveat that it's one competitive game in (even then I feel a bit generous given pre-season) but.....
We seem to lack ideas. Much like last season we only have a Plan A. Credit to the Storm they played a low trap with 4 players behind the red line when the Devils were re-grouping behind the net. Storm set up as a Team who were playing a much stronger opposition and looking for any counterattack. It worked and they did well. They were solid. To not be able to break down a Team like that is very worrying. I'm still looking at the coach. Not sure he has the ideas or experience to do what's required here. Good player, invaluable on the penalty kill but as someone to devise a master plan to win games, for me it just isn't Lord. Now before anyone starts yelling about it being the first game in, this is a continuation of last season for me. When the blaze Stuffed us in the Playoffs last season they figured us out and we had no plan B. It was much the same last night.
Speaking of continuation from last season again.... Hotham... Had one of those games last season when he looked like he'd brought his iPad on the ice with him. Looked bored and disinterested defensively but came to life when in their blue line. Great hands and skill but looks so disinterested at the back with the usual turnovers and give aways.
I echo the sentiment re: Haddad and Doucet. Real tried hard and worked their butts off. In sure their more to come from the new boys but on this showing (yes it's only one showing) they were poor.
As for Borderleau, he's a presence no doubt. Can only see McGratton stepping up. He could be a real weapon. Nobody on the storm bench wanted to fight him (not that they have any real fighters). So he could be a presence on the ice without spending time in the box.
In short, some positives trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the team but there are worrying signs and those sit with the coach for me. This isn't a bring back Franny post at all but Lords got this season (half a season) to prove himself. Hope he does as it but we look a bit one dimensional now, as we did last season.
Onwards and upwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnnybravo1927

E.D.S. said:
All of this comes with the caveat that it's one competitive game in (even then I feel a bit generous given pre-season) but.....
We seem to lack ideas. Much like last season we only have a Plan A. Credit to the Storm they played a low trap with 4 players behind the red line when the Devils were re-grouping behind the net. Storm set up as a Team who were playing a much stronger opposition and looking for any counterattack. It worked and they did well. They were solid. To not be able to break down a Team like that is very worrying. I'm still looking at the coach. Not sure he has the ideas or experience to do what's required here. Good player, invaluable on the penalty kill but as someone to devise a master plan to win games, for me it just isn't Lord. Now before anyone starts yelling about it being the first game in, this is a continuation of last season for me. When the blaze Stuffed us in the Playoffs last season they figured us out and we had no plan B. It was much the same last night.
Speaking of continuation from last season again.... Hotham... Had one of those games last season when he looked like he'd brought his iPad on the ice with him. Looked bored and disinterested defensively but came to life when in their blue line. Great hands and skill but looks so disinterested at the back with the usual turnovers and give aways.
I echo the sentiment re: Haddad and Doucet. Real tried hard and worked their butts off. In sure their more to come from the new boys but on this showing (yes it's only one showing) they were poor.
As for Borderleau, he's a presence no doubt. Can only see McGratton stepping up. He could be a real weapon. Nobody on the storm bench wanted to fight him (not that they have any real fighters). So he could be a presence on the ice without spending time in the box.
In short, some positives trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the team but there are worrying signs and those sit with the coach for me. This isn't a bring back Franny post at all but Lords got this season (half a season) to prove himself. Hope he does as it but we look a bit one dimensional now, as we did last season.
Onwards and upwards.

Excellent post. Difficult to argue with that other than the kack of storm fighters. Neilson and Valcak are both capable enough

Ocko said:
Anyone at the game care to give and assessment on how did Bordeleu got on in his first game?
Please with what I saw, put plenty of shifts in and didn't seem to lack stamina for the full 60, unlike some 4th liners from higher leagues have been in the past. I suspect he may fall foul some fans that can tell the difference between a player that makes things look effortless and a play that puts no effort in though. In warm up Bordeleu worried me as he would make Hendrix look like a speed skater he was so slow, but not so in the game its self. He also seemed isolated in the warmup, but suspect that's just coming into the team later than the rest and nothing more. He is very willing to step up by the looks of things, but also looks very controlled and looks for the nod from the bench. I dont think we will see any red mist moments from him.

E.D.S.

Too early to do this/him any justice but he looked good. Willing to throw a hit and look for the hit. Doesn't play or skate as awkward as he looks. I think he'll do well on the big ice which is the main difference for me and other big guys we've had in the past that have only ever really been suited to little pads.

brief summary

Our luck was bad, if a bounce or deflection could go against us it did.
but that is not why we lost.

The officiating was bad even by EIHL standards.
Again, that is not why we lost.

Storm and Hull before them have always looked for the odd man breakaway against us under Pacha, It seem we still learnt that is the case. Our team, pretty much to a man made huge mistakes at some point in the game some players time and time again. Turn overs, failing to clear the zone, 4 player watching a puck sail by each expecting the other to pick it up. Sad to say that over all it was one of worst performances I have seen from a Devils team. The team ultimately gifted The Storm 4 goals and that is why we lost the game.

Sadly there was a very drunk and very bad winner of a Storm Fan goading Devils fans in the gents toilet after the game. (He was very much the exception) but if a Devils fan had risen to his taunts its not hard to imaging it escalating. With hind sight I should have alerted the stewards to him.

Wannabe2

E.D.S. said:

Onwards and upwards.

Storm don't have any real fighters, hello Eric Neilson will fight anyone, he is one tough cookie, but huge mates with Bordeleau.