Stevie Lyle

Temme

Aberdare_Devil said:
Becomes player-coach of the Swindon Wildcats for 2015-16
http://www.swindonwildcats.com/news/390 ... OM_XfmsVv8

Watched him against the Manchester Phoenix last week and he let 10 go past him. :DWD

For me, Stevie Lyle is the player i have the worst memories of in a Devil uniform :lol:

I remember us outshooting Nottingham 44-26 in the Play-off final and losing.

And remember Belfast's Cheverie (or was it Awada?) shooting high glove side on him in the shootout in the Play off final to win it for Belfast.

Both of these moments i associate directly with him in net :lol: :lol:

A great goalie in his day & a fantastic servant to British hockey though & congratulations to him on his new role.

jimmy snels

Temme said:
Aberdare_Devil said:
Becomes player-coach of the Swindon Wildcats for 2015-16
http://www.swindonwildcats.com/news/390 ... OM_XfmsVv8

Watched him against the Manchester Phoenix last week and he let 10 go past him. :DWD

For me, Stevie Lyle is the player i have the worst memories of in a Devil uniform :lol:

And remember Belfast's Cheverie (or was it Awada?) shooting high glove side on him in the shootout in the Play off final to win it for Belfast.

Both of these moments i associate directly with him in net :lol: :lol:

A great goalie in his day & a fantastic servant to British hockey though & congratulations to him on his new role.
Not forgetting conceding from basically the whole length of the ice in his last season! Lol

My memory of him being chosen as the All Star Netminder in the Continental Cup in Holland, when he was in net when we beat 2 Soviet League team, when aged 14years.

Comments like those preceding this message are disrespectfully to Stevie and Devils history

KaneDevils

Sounds like stats to a recent game ...... that we also lost.

Best wishes Stevie, a legend in so many peoples eyes. Mine included. :RAWK

Ibbz9

Top netminder and a great person. From playing on his team since the age of 9 it was obvious he was a special talent.
Many highlights including his debut tournament, his success with GB and the most successful product of our Junior development.

I have never understood the criticism he gets. If he had a Canadien passport I am certain he would not get half of what he got.

He is still playing great; standing second in the goalie stats on an average team.

His years with the Devils he shared ice time with Herlofsky who many regard as the best goalie to have played for the team.

EVERY netminder lets in soft goals on occasion. It is an occupational hazard.

I think he will do a grand job as coach. He has a vast amount of experience, is highly respected by his peers, and has a great understanding of the game.

drainage

Nott Simpson said:
My memory of him being chosen as the All Star Netminder in the Continental Cup in Holland, when he was in net when we beat 2 Soviet League team, when aged 14years.

Comments like those preceding this message are disrespectfully to Stevie and Devils history
Totally agree .....he was a great goalie and sadly like all of us age diminishes us

It doesn't however eradicate what he did achieve

Wannabe2

Very unclassy comments on here, and no need for them. Stevie Lyle was a class act for our organisation for many years, he played in the one position that is a thankless task, local boy who loved his own towns team. Wish you all the best in your new venture Steve.

jimmy snels

Oh god, it's called a bit of banter. We all know how good he was when he was younger and how good a devil he was. This isn't a eulogy to him or a thread stating some devestating news. It's a bit of light hearted humour. I would hazard a guess he hasn't been looking on this forum much either...

wildthing74

Sounds more like ill informed opinion rather than banter. Stevie was among the best even in ISL days of former NHL/AHL netminders.Not sure of his capability as a potential coach but his ability I'm his position was not in question,his awards & trophies prove that.

His final game for us at the POFW was immense IMO. He did everything he could to keep us in it as long as possible. Just a shame we never looked like scoring the whole game :(

jimmy snels

shoes_off said:
His final game for us at the POFW was immense IMO. He did everything he could to keep us in it as long as possible. Just a shame we never looked like scoring the whole game :(
Probably his best performance of the whole season as well, just didn't turn up in front of him

Thread starter #15
wildthing74 said:
Sounds more like ill informed opinion rather than banter. Stevie was among the best even in ISL days of former NHL/AHL netminders.Not sure of his capability as a potential coach but his ability I'm his position was not in question,his awards & trophies prove that.
Spot on! :RAWK

(Apologies to the MODS for the thread being in the wrong forum!)

I have fond memories of Stevie.

My Dad and me were season ticket holders between 96-98 and I'm pretty sure Stevie was really young at the time. Both seasons Stevie was great.

Sheincar

wildthing74 said:
Doesn't Stevie run goalie camps in the off season?