Steelers v DEVILS - Sun 12 Mar 2017 - League - FO 5pm - Chat/Updates

RedDevil17

Not really the best performance from us but we were outplayed for most. Shame Bowns got injured that was one of the reasons why we lost. We barely hit anything in Tango orange but it was a one off I'm sure. Lets hope we win next week. It's still in our hands so its not the end of the world. P.s The riffing tonight was awful. Having a referee from sheffield who is sponsored by sheffield and riffing AT HOME is just wrong. Very questionable indeed

RTfarty

Fully expected the Steelers to have a fire lit under them tonight after the CC Final. We've had their number all year and they had a point to prove tonight.

Hope Bownsy's injury isn't as serious as the crutches make it sound, but if those are the cards we're dealt we have the best backup in the league who will be more than capable of stepping up and getting the job done.

The league is still very much in our hands and we go again next weekend!

RTfarty

I can`t understand why Murdy was pulled. We were losing 5 2 and by scoring the ENG making it 6 2 it made Sheffield look good.
We had nothing to lose at that stage. It makes no difference whether they win 3-2, 5-2 or 6-2.. a loss is a loss. Better to try and equalise the game than give up..

Very disappointing result. Didn't see the game but following it on MNL, it sounds like we rolled over and left the Steelers tickle our tummies. On the Bordy thread, there were a number of people saying he's been brilliant and we're desperate to have him back. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I really don't see him justifying his pay packet. Todd admitted he must be one of the highest paid players in the league and I just think surely that money could be used on another Joey Martin? Bordy isn't on those big bucks because he can get points like Martin, he's here to protect his teammates and to ensure that our flair players don't get targeted throughout a game. Our soft response to cheap shots has been an issue all season but it's really taking the biscuit to see our goaltender hurt, nevermind mentioning the likes of Benti getting elbowed, and nobody seeking to make it clear that the Steelers aren't getting away with that. I don't know if Bordy and our other 'tough' guys were not interested or if Lord demanded that nobody got involved in any trouble. What is for certain is that Lord and Bordy need to realise that only one of them can win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award and this 'no toughness allowed' policy isn't even guaranteed to secure the award for either one of them and they need to give up trying!
For gods sake calm down - it's one game, we were never going to win all of our remaining games. We lost our stating nm, we don't know how long for, we don't need to lose anyone else to a dopey suspension. There's plenty of games left. Don't hit the panic button just yet eh?

JoeyHaddad'sPIMs might be on to something. This no fighting allowed scheme must be part of the Devils' bid to win the sports personality of the year award. I think Ray Winstone and all the boys at Bet365 etc are missing a trick and need to produce the real odds: Eddie The Eagle - 200/1, Mo Farah - 7/1, Andy Murray - 3/1, Patrick Bordeleau - 2/1, Andrew Lord - 1/2

terry hunt

JoeyHaddad'sPIMs might be on to something. This no fighting allowed scheme must be part of the Devils' bid to win the sports personality of the year award. I think Ray Winstone and all the boys at Bet365 etc are missing a trick and need to produce the real odds: Eddie The Eagle - 200/1, Mo Farah - 7/1, Andy Murray - 3/1, Patrick Bordeleau - 2/1, Andrew Lord - 1/2
Are you Electro's new identity?
I thought you were organising the schoolgirl dancers

terry hunt

Very disappointing result. Didn't see the game but following it on MNL, it sounds like we rolled over and left the Steelers tickle our tummies. On the Bordy thread, there were a number of people saying he's been brilliant and we're desperate to have him back. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I really don't see him justifying his pay packet. Todd admitted he must be one of the highest paid players in the league and I just think surely that money could be used on another Joey Martin? Bordy isn't on those big bucks because he can get points like Martin, he's here to protect his teammates and to ensure that our flair players don't get targeted throughout a game. Our soft response to cheap shots has been an issue all season but it's really taking the biscuit to see our goaltender hurt, nevermind mentioning the likes of Benti getting elbowed, and nobody seeking to make it clear that the Steelers aren't getting away with that. I don't know if Bordy and our other 'tough' guys were not interested or if Lord demanded that nobody got involved in any trouble. What is for certain is that Lord and Bordy need to realise that only one of them can win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award and this 'no toughness allowed' policy isn't even guaranteed to secure the award for either one of them and they need to give up trying!
The EIHL title will be won partly by self control.
Bordy /Louis/Batch are clearly acting under orders from their coach as are the Steelers players from theirs.
If the MNL is anything to go by any retaliation by Devils players would have made things worse and suited the Steelers.
Any suspensions at this time of the season could be very serious for the Devils.
My only criticism of Lord tonight would be perhaps he should have suspected an attack on Bowns.
Then again he wouldnt stoop that low against an opponent would he?

Are you Electro's new identity?
I thought you were organising the schoolgirl dancers
Here we go again, the whole Electro saga. Considering he didn't have many friends on this forum, you lot don't half keep bringing him up. He's been banned for a while and you are still more concerned about finding his new identity than leaving threads on topic. What electro has done is a stroke in the masterclass of trolling. He/she hasn't even got the ability to post from their account and they are still managing to be mentioned in the majority threads.

I just wish that people would stop accusing new accounts of being electro. You must have far better things to do in your lives than trolling new accounts .

Wannabe2

Please don't turn this thread about Electro, at the moment he has gone, anyway back on track, I didn't expect anything tonight, and one point would have been a bonus. Steelers as we all know are one very good team, and are hurting big time. I think it will go down to the wire myself, not great for the weak hearted, but very exciting for some of us.

august04

Please don't turn this thread about Electro, at the moment he has gone, anyway back on track, I didn't expect anything tonight, and one point would have been a bonus. Steelers as we all know are one very good team, and are hurting big time. I think it will go down to the wire myself, not great for the weak hearted, but very exciting for some of us.
It will go down to the wire if we play as passively as we did tonight. I hope we learned a big lesson tonight for the re-run next Saturday.

Getting the last few points to get over line are often the hardest, because every game broken to its smaller components, of every play on every shift has a greater meaning. Often that can bring out the best in individuals, units and a team as we saw last weekend. This is especially the case when the opposition have the same to play for.
However, we saw a Steelers team with total freedom with the knowledge that any cheap shots, if called, would have little effect on their virtually extinguished title aspiration.
They rode their luck with what appears to have some benign refereeing decisions.
They also had their usual appalling PR stoking the flames about the nasty Devils organisation for last weekend's event with their mascot. That would have created a real them and us, backs against the walls mentality.
We could have responded with cheap shots of our own, however I believe Lord and the Devils team and organisation have a great deal more class than the Steelers team and organisation and wouldn't stoop to their level.
We may have lost this battle, but the league is won or lost over the whole season and not just one game against a very talented (I feel sick saying that) and dirty Steelers.
Lord and the team will live and learn from this experience and be better prepared for next weekend against Sheffield.

Getting the last few points to get over line are often the hardest, because every game broken to its smaller components, of every play on every shift has a greater meaning. Often that can bring out the best in individuals, units and a team as we saw last weekend. This is especially the case when the opposition have the same to play for.
However, we saw a Steelers team with total freedom with the knowledge that any cheap shots, if called, would have little effect on their virtually extinguished title aspiration.
They rode their luck with what appears to have some benign refereeing decisions.
They also had their usual appalling PR stoking the flames about the nasty Devils organisation for last weekend's event with their mascot. That would have created a real them and us, backs against the walls mentality.
We could have responded with cheap shots of our own, however I believe Lord and the Devils team and organisation have a great deal more class than the Steelers team and organisation and wouldn't stoop to their level.
We may have lost this battle, but the league is won or lost over the whole season and not just one game against a very talented (I feel sick saying that) and dirty Steelers.
Lord and the team will live and learn from this experience and be better prepared for next weekend against Sheffield.
What he said [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Steelers will always be an extremely difficult side to beat, even with our good record this season, after their CC loss they will have been smarting and fighting for their jobs. I was hoping for a Devils win like us all but a loss away in these circumstances is understandable.
Give our guys a little rest, regroup and then make a full-on power challenge for the points we need. Fire everything we have from now on!
Come on Devils!

Steelers travel to Belfast on Friday and they have to win in regulation to stand any chance of winning the league so hopefully a fully rested Devils will get the job done on Saturday

A steelers win in Belfast and a Cardiff win in Sheffield would be perfect!

Johnnybravo1927

We lost 1 game, first in a good while. We are still the form team and still massive favourites to win the league. The fact we can still lose games and keep our lead shows how far ahead we are. Its not in the bag yet but every team would trade places and squads with us.

Finny

Result didn't reflect the majority of the game for me.

Sheffield came out fast as you would expect after the week they had, but I didn't think they were particularly physical. We had a good spell which led to a PP before Sheffield had a good spell themselves. We had quite a few scrambles in front of the net which we couldn't force over and although Sheffield perhaps slightly edged the first period I didn't think it was enough for us to be trailing.
Second period we came out much, much better and pretty much dominated the opening 5 minutes. Lord scored a great goal by collecting Batch's shot and then rounding the netminder and sliding the puck home.
To be honest at that point there looked like being only one winner, especially as Sheffield would probably tire again due to their short bench.

Then the incident that changed the game. Watching it in real time I thought the Sheffield player had been very naughty (Sarich?) but on second viewing I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I didn't look like there was any intention to run Bowns, he was jostling with Hotham for position but when Hotham ended up landing on Bowns he did seem apologetic.

Bowns did seem in real trouble, but then got up and initially seemed to be moving ok. It looked like Lord made the decision to pull him as a precaution but as he skated off Bowns looked upset (may have been webcast picture). Murdy came in and made some good post to post saves only for Sheffield to retake the lead through a hotly disputed goal. At first I couldn't work out why but on the replay it clearly showed a Sheffield player in the crease.

We continued to play the better hockey though and when we got another PP chance made it count. Andrew Hotham picking out Richie at the far post and he one timed it in for another equaliser. Even at that point I was pretty confident we would win, only for Sheffield to score almost immediately after the next face off. Murdy will be disappointed he didn't hold onto the initial shot and Sheffield were first to the rebound.

We still continued to create lots of chances and I lost count of the number of scrambles in front of Mustukovs that just wouldn't fall for us. We even started the third in a similar way but then things got even tougher when the offiicals suddenly lost the plot. With us on the PP Fournier was carrying the puck in the Sheffield zone but was hooked. And then hooked again. And hooked a third time which caused him to lose the puck. With Roy looking to breakaway Fournier hooked him back - and was called for it.
From that point on the game became a farce. I've forgotten which of our players it was but as they stepped out of the bin, they stole the puck to create a two-on-one break for us.....only for the play to be whistled down for a Sheffield offside?!?!?!?
Sheffield PP goal all but kills the game before Ben O'Connor gets luck with a shot that squeezes through Murdy.

I know people are angry and wanted us to seek retribution for Bowns etc but after sleeping on it I'm not sure that would have been wise. Teams will try to force us to do something and getting suspensions is exactly what they want.
Sheffield play Belfast on Friday. We need them to win that. If they do then a win at home to Fife will be enough. Else one win at home to Belfast will be enough.

Devil94

Even if we don't win on Saturday, there's still no need to panic. I'm confident of a win at home v Fife, and then one win at home v Belfast. Although, I would be grateful if the guys didn't leave it until the final game. Don't think I could handle it.