Steelers staff pullout

Fubar

copied from THF

David Matsos, Mike O'Connor and David Simms QUIT the Sheffield Steelers in a vote of no confidence of owner Bob Phillips.

Announced on Radio Sheffield

Koop11

They certainly want Bob out of Sheffield. I think the writing was on the wall the last couple of weeks. The really sad thing is that many people knew something like this would happen to Sheffield when he took over.

Sure he brought some glory but at what price. Arguably the biggest club in UK hockey has a dwindling fan base, a reputation of failed sponsorship, public disagreements with the local council, office staff not happy. Da sha vu anyone.

In fairness I don’t think Sheffield’s previous owner was the most supportive and Bob took over in difficult circumstances but you only have to look at our owners to appreciate how well you can run an ice hockey organisation at this level when bringing it back from the dead.

I just sincerely hope that the Steelers do find new ownership and that the club can move forward. Its disappointing to see this happen to any club.

mazza03

You have to feel sorry for Sheffield, we've been there and know what it's like. We were lucky and I just hope they are. After all who can we hate if they are not there. :lol:

ASHIPP

Blimey, Simmsy getting all political! The staff couldn't make a stronger statement that they do not want Philips there. Let's hope the Steelers get interest quickly from investors who know how to support a business. The fans and players must be losing confidence. :cry:

p.s. Note to G - would now be a good time to put offers in to Rod Sarich and Steve Munn to complete the Devils' roster? :cool: And find room for Jeff Legue?

Rempel16

Seems to me as though the investor is already lined up, Mike O'Connor and Simms (Matsos is just the sheep I think) have merely taken this action to enforce the sale.

It will become interesting if Bob refuses, otherwise it's just a general takeover of the club.

James

Administrator
Soundwave1 said:
Steel Talk has now been set so every post is moderated before it goes live - deja vu to the last detail then....
They have a new moderator too, EliteMod 5 or something ;)

I think we all knew this would happen eventually, I feel sorry for the fans who believed him. He will have covered his backside don't you worry

At times like these you just have to put aside the history between the teams. My thoughts are firmly with the fans of the Steelers. This could so easily have been us in this position but thankfully its not.
Cant believe some of the mocking/gloating on some of the forums, seriously hope players do not walk out on the Steelers over this and they can remain competitive for the start of the season, and hope other elite league teams do not take advantage of their plight in terms of playing staff.
To all their FANS- hope it works out for you.

Rempel16

Anyone taking a walk down a grim nostalgia street reading those statements?

The sooner Bob is out of UK hockey, the better.

If he is planning to continue I wouldn't be surprised to see many of the squad follow Matsos, O'Connor and Simms out the door.

And so history repeats itself, completely typical of BP and was always bound to happen some day when he took over. Now the new fans asking why the Devils fans disliked Bob can understand why.
UK ice hockey could do without Bob running teams into the ground, really feel for the Steelers fans right now as we know what it feels like to go through uncertain times like they have right now.
Lets just hope that Bob decides to step out and let someone else take over, hopefully someone that knows what they are doing.

ASHIPP

Is this the end of Matsos coaching at Steelers? Fans already speculating who the 'new coach due to be announced next week' is going to be. Some think it might be Steve Munn with A Tait as Assistant? :? If it's somebody different, then some players were close to Matsos so a change might make them reconsider their situation. Can't blame any of them for reviewing their position if the future at Sheffield looks unclear.

If BP really does want to do what is best for the Steelers as a business and a club, he should step aside right now and let someone else run the Club. It will take much longer than a Summer to recover from the damage already done to the Steelers. Really feeling for the players and the fans right now. :x