Steelers looking to sign NHL forward Kyle Calder

Koop11

I think this report is to play down the fact they will be an import short for the start of the season and keep the fans happy. I cannot see this signing happening.

If I'm wrong though.... :shock:

kettdevil1

I suspect Koop is right but even if not would it be that good a signing?

He is going to cost a packet and thinking back to the NHL lockout season the over-riding memory was that the majority of the NHL-ers coming over here were really going through the motions to keep fit. Calder would be a massive name but the success of the signing would be down to his attitude when he sees the House of Rust.

kettdevil1 said:

He is going to cost a packet and thinking back to the NHL lockout season the over-riding memory was that the majority of the NHL-ers coming over here were really going through the motions to keep fit. Calder would be a massive name but the success of the signing would be down to his attitude when he sees the House of Rust.
I wonder what he would make of the tent? :lol: if he paid a visit lol.

the placid casual said:
I wonder what he would make of the tent? :lol: if he paid a visit lol.
Gross? Little? :p

kettdevil1 said:

He'd be coming over for the love of the game, the team and the city, kett! D'oh!! :lol: It's not like he could even qualify for a uni course, I wouldn't have thought. Back then a lot of players didn't have many options. Calder could still quite easily walk into any AHL/ECHL/CHL depending on vet rules or the higher leagues in Europe.

There's no way in a million years we should sign this guy. I thought it was huge signing Globke but if Simon pulls this off..........

Calder could score about 80 goals in this league!! :shock:

Scott

Would be very kool to see a player like Kyle Calder in this league. But I think it would also be very worrying for the league - other big teams would have to splash the cash to keep up with Shuff and then the league could end up in financial meltdown, with all the smaller clubs not being able to compete at all.

I don't think it's going to happen anyway. But seriously, can't we have a proper salary cap?

He's no theo fleury is he. Players would have to step up against him like ed and vez did against fleury but a team with scoring depth on all three lines will still have just as good a chance as steelers if they sign him.

ASHIPP

maccab5 said:
He's no theo fleury is he. Players would have to step up against him like ed and vez did against fleury but a team with scoring depth on all three lines will still have just as good a chance as steelers if they sign him.
And whilst a player of that calibre would be exciting to have in this league, it does put pressure on other players in the team to keep up with that skill. What happens if they can't? The line just doesn't quite click. Devils have similar issues with Matt Elich 2 seasons ago - no-one in the team could match him for speed or skill so a lot of the potential to reek havoc on the opposition just never happened. :?

osh

ASHIPP said:
maccab5 said:
And whilst a player of that calibre would be exciting to have in this league, it does put pressure on other players in the team to keep up with that skill. What happens if they can't? The line just doesn't quite click. Devils have similar issues with Matt Elich 2 seasons ago - no-one in the team could match him for speed or skill so a lot of the potential to reek havoc on the opposition just never happened. :?
I'd agree to a certain extent ASHIPP, Elich was definately a stand out player and even operating at 80% was still way ahead in both speed and thought of who we had playing with him. I would say however that Fleury and Calder are much higher calibre players than Matt was.

ASHIPP said:
Globke - Simon - Calder?! :eek: ;)

ASHIPP

osh said:
ASHIPP said:
maccab5 said:
I'd agree to a certain extent ASHIPP, Elich was definately a stand out player and even operating at 80% was still way ahead in both speed and thought of who we had playing with him. I would say however that Fleury and Calder are much higher calibre players than Matt was.
Elich was without doubt the highlight in an unlucky season for the Devils. No question his experience was of a lower level than Kyle Calder but Matt's time at the Devils does illustrate the issues that develop when one player is considerably faster and more skilled than the rest of the team. Any potential is cancelled out if the rest can't raise their game. :evil:
Are the Steelers going to be able to afford this player ? He would surely be coming here for simply the love of the game (the most admirable reason for doing it!).

osh

Calder may come due to Simon's influence or friendship maybe ! Not sure of the money side of things tbh. Lets face it, he would demand a wage probably near what Steelers have in their budget ! Wage caps don't exist so who knows eh?

ASHIPP, nice to see Gerads comment re Jeff Ullmer yesterday when asked which ex Devils player (at his peak) he would have in his present side. I would say that Ullmer was a standard higher than Elich, both great players. Your thoughts?

ASHIPP

osh said:
Calder may come due to Simon's influence or friendship maybe ! Not sure of the money side of things tbh. Lets face it, he would demand a wage probably near what Steelers have in their budget ! Wage caps don't exist so who knows eh?

ASHIPP, nice to see Gerads comment re Jeff Ullmer yesterday when asked which ex Devils player (at his peak) he would have in his present side. I would say that Ullmer was a standard higher than Elich, both great players. Your thoughts?
Osh - Jeff Ulmer, now you're talking!18 points from just a handful of games for the Devils and what an impact. Unfortunately, I was away from Cardiff during that 2003/2004 season so never got to see him play 'live'. And he is still producing quality in Europe in his 30's - a record year for him with Frankfurt last season.

Finny

With the exception of Fleury - I can't think of a better player than Ulmer who has been signed by an EIHL team?

Gazza272

Finny said:
With the exception of Fleury - I can't think of a better player than Ulmer who has been signed by an EIHL team?

Are you counting the lock out year? As Scott Nichol would be up there for me.

osh

Gazza272 said:
Finny said:

Are you counting the lock out year? As Scott Nichol would be up there for me.
Fair shout Gazza272 but would have to go with Finny on his view. No doubt Fleury was the main man with Ullmer next in line imo, shame he wasn't with us for longer.

Sllightly off topic. Does my memory serve me right... did Glenn Anderson play a handful of games for us a few seasons ago or was it just one exhibition game? I seem to remember him and Vez being unveiled at the same time... from a limo.

matt1986 said:
Sllightly off topic. Does my memory serve me right... did Glenn Anderson play a handful of games for us a few seasons ago or was it just one exhibition game? I seem to remember him and Vez being unveiled at the same time... from a limo.
Just one exibition game.