So...who would you like to see return?

Thread starter #1
I expect I'll get flamed for this by some over-protective souls responding with cries of "we shouldn't criticise the team" and "the players read this forum", but I think it's a valid question to raise now that the season has finished for the Devils.

I will caveat my view by admitting that I've only seen about 7 or 8 games live this season as it's a 4 hour round trip for me - I did manage the Scottish triple header though, which was incredible. I've also seen another dozen or so games on the webcast, so this view isn't just based on what I've read about games.

Having qualified my opinion so heavily, it might be that my views aren't even that controversial.....guess I'll find out!

I would ideally keep most of the team. However, I think the Tahtinen signing demonstrated the gaps in MYCHAN's game. I understand that he's an agitator, not an enforcer, but so is Adam Keefe really, and he is leagues above Mychan. I think we could replace him with someone better, but in a similar mould.

TAHTINEN - on the fence about this one. Face-off percentage is off the charts, and the ability to win key face offs is huge. He also compliments Haddad and Culligan really well, despite not scoring huge amounts of points. Strange though this might sound, I would keep him if the line stays together but, if either of the others leave, I might consider replacing him.

CLARKSON - I'd probably keep him, and I wouldn't expect him to enforce, but he does need to use his size to better effect. His points tally was good, and he is clearly very skilled and loves the Devils. I could see the argument for replacing him for someone like Salters though, who has a nastier edge and plays a more physical game.

HENDRIKX - At the start of the season, I thought he was great, but I've found myself counting the mistakes he makes in his own zone, and there are quite a few. He plays physical, but doesn't make as many hits as he should because people see them coming. I think there are better stay at home d-men out there that the Devils could consider.

Overall, I'd be delighted if the core of the team returned. I'm sure there will be some tweaks, and those are just my suggestions to improve the team in areas. I've not taken into account rumours of retirements etc. Look forward to hearing people's views.

Tommy

Sheincar

Those are the 4 that I suspect will be on most peoples' list. Like you I would keep the bulk of the team.

For me Mychan takes stupid penalties at stupid times and should not be back.

Henrikx has not be the same guy for some time; carrying an injury possibly. Makes too many mistakes.

Tahtinen & Clarkson I'm a big fan of. I like the way Clarkson winds up opposition players whilst grinning at them. His points production is much better than I was expecting. Replacing Hendrikx would mean Clarkson can carry on as he is. Tahtinen I wasn't expecting much from but he's turned out to be really good and even getting a bit more physical.

Thread starter #3
If we could get someone like Salters or Biz to replace Mychan, I think that leaves Clarkson free to play a power forward/agitator role. On a line with Myers and Walton (or another sniper if Walton retires, as per the rumour), that would work well.

I would like to see a genuinely ferocious D Man brought in if they decide not to keep Hendrikx - someone like Lepine would be ideal. Tough as they come, but more measured than someone like Fitzgerald or Frank who take stupid penalties.

Very important thread this and like you said, some will get a little miffed perhaps at the timing given that we're only three days fresh off the season and "The Coach knows best"

At the end of the day, we didn't win everything so we can't afford to stand still and "Have the entire team back" as I've heard a few people say over the last week.

Bowns - Really? Lock him up and throw away the key
Will - Looked strong when we put him in net and definitely the best back up in the league. Keep.

Keep all the Brits. Richardson is his usual best, Batch has had a breakout year, we've seen the real Matthew Myers and I like what Piggott and CJ have to offer. Though I think CJ could do with more regular ice time with a year at EPL level I'd be happy to have him back

Defence

Hudson - Really rate Hudson. Defensively sound, carries the puck well into the zone and his one timer is excellent. Keep. Don't play him with Hotham though!

Hotham - Highest scoring defenseman in the league, can drop them when needed and adds a lot to our offense. Keep! Keep! Keep!

Marsh - I think that was Marshy's last dance. Based on the 2nd half of the year I'd keep him but I think he's all done. Thank you for the service

Hendrikx - Although he's thrown some great hipchecks this year and his shot from the blue led to Culli's CC winning goal, I think there are better available and in his own zone is partial to some pretty costly giveaways. Thanks for the memories.

Forwards

Walton - 76 points in 63 games is a solid return and playing just after his baby had been born showed his commitment to the team. I'd like to see Brent back without the baggage of his schooling. If he can focus on hockey and settle on a line, Keep.

Haddad - Just under a point a game. Like his tenacity and work rate. Did have a bad run of games but picked it up and never took a game off. Next two years should be the best of his career, I'd like them to be with us. Keep.

Tahtinen - Strange one. I really like Tahtinen and think he was a great addition to our squad mid season. If we'd signed him at the start of the year I think he could have put up better numbers. Based on his face-offs, power-play work I'd say keep. But there's probably a younger more talented European player who can offer us the same and put up better numbers. Undecided.

Morissette - Should do a masterclass in shot blocking. Laid a lot on the line for us this year, put up solid numbers and never ever gives up. Keep. Keep. Keep.

Culligan - Went under the radar up til Christmas, but recently been given the plaudits he deserves for his work rate. 43 pts in 63 games is not a bad return for a first year pro but Chris offers a lot more than his points tally suggests. Get him back here and jam a letter on him. Keep.

Lord - Leads by example, had an even better year with the baggage of coaching and is arguably our most rounded player. Glad to see him return.
Mychan - Don't think it's quite worked out for him here. All the best to him, wherever he ends up

Martin - Just oozes class. His work on the PP and PK is great and we got more than we bargained for with Joey. As Players Player of the year, he needs to come back and also have a letter jammed on his chest. Sublime. KEEP KEEP KEEP

Clarkson - Very clever player. Don't buy all this "Doesn't hit enough for his size" stuff as he's off far more value to us with his skill level. Think he struggled to adjust to the number of minutes he was playing to start off with but has worked hard, has a great wrist shot release and I'd most certainly have Dougie back. Gamble that paid off for us. Keep.

A great season considering where we were last year however we need to improve to have a chance of the title next year.

Bowns - Absolute Brilliant at times and gave us a chance to win every game this season. Freeing up an import slot is vital as well - KEEP
Will - obviously don't see him much however the games we have seen him he has impressed. Best back up in the league without question - KEEP

Like above I would keep all the brits from last season but I guess that goes without saying.

Defence

MARSH - Captain Fantastic. Solid at both ends of the rink, makes hits and will stick up for his team mates. If the rumours of retirement are false Id take him for another season - KEEP

Hudson - Offensively brilliant without neglecting his defensive responsibilities. Wish he kept his beard and hair though :lol: - KEEP

Hotham - No brainer. Scored more goals than most forwards and as angry as hell - KEEP

Hendrikx - I loved Hendo at the start of the season. Some of his hipchecks have been sublime (Dewaele in disguise?). However as the season went on players became aware resulting in him missing and being out of position. - GO

Forwards

Walton - Has more tricks than a magician and scored a shed loads of points. Sometimes I think he goes for the pretty goal rather than just shooting and sometimes doesn't show up in big games. - KEEP

Haddad - Work rate unreal, especially on the PK. Uses his body and strength better than most players his size and also gets his fair share of goals - KEEP

Morissette - Just a selfless player who will give his all every night. Blocked more shots than I can remember and linked up with Martin perfectly. Completely different player from the year before - KEEP

Culligan - work rate again unreal. Great two way forward who plays both PP and PK. Also can play D given us depth if need - KEEP

Lord - Again no brainer, given last season was his first coaching role, he balanced playing and management perfectly - KEEP

Martin - Not even going into it. The lord martin mo line was one of if not the best line in the league - KEEP

Clarkson - great hands for a big guy and scored some big goals for us. He still needs to use his size more. If lordo wants a big power forward who will hit then Clarkson to go however id still be happy if signed – UNDECIDED
Tahtinen - Since coming into the team he was clearly made a difference. We seemed to settle down once he got into his groove. Great eye for a pass however I feel we could get somebody better that will make more of an impact – GO
Mychan - great energy player who will stick up for his team however think we can get someone better who will be more responsible - GO

Rempel16

The jury seems to be out on a couple of players and it's difficult with having not won all trophies, however we came so close that I think it's only a few tweaks required.

Mychan - I'm going to buck the trend and say KEEP... He was a 22 year old in a foreign country, with a couple of injuries and a damaged hand for most of the season. However, for me, his tenacity and promise was there and I think he'd be an ideal player for our 13th import as I certainly think he could develop with us.

Tahtinen - His faceoff ability and his vision is superb, but then so was Stuart Macrae's. I think he has shown that there is room for a guy with the ability to play calm and slow the game down under pressure. I would look for this player with more scoring output. GO

Hendrikx - He brings the toughness that we require and developed a great combination with Batch, with both being our most protective players (alongside Hotham). For a 3rd pairing d-men i don't think we are going to get better than a guy with the experience of two major trophies in his previous two seasons plus the ability to enforce. KEEP

Clarkson - This is such a difficult one for me, but if he isn't going to use his size then i would look to upgrade in terms of his hockey ability. It could open the door for another Walton/Morissette.
If he's to be kept then he needs to find his game on a consistant basis. For me he was reminiscent of Max Birbraer the way he drifted in and out of games. UNDECIDED.

Can't think of any real reason to let any of the rest go, but i guess nobody is indespensible.

Although I think the important signings are Bowns, Richie, Batch, Hotham, Martin and Haddad.

Gospel

Personally id keep Mychan, Clarkson, Morrisette, Martin, Culligan & all the D men.

Mychan is under rated I believe and adds a complete different dimension to the team when he plays and disrupts the opposition which opens up far more opportunities for us. Maybe he'll decide he doesn't want to return to us & if that's the case id hate to see him in another UK team!

If Mychan does leave then a player in his style & that of Keefe would be nice. I personally wouldn't take Keefe at the Devils as his best years are behind him but him 2 years ago would be nice :D

DevilDom

I'm probably being a bit greedy but I would keep everyone that doesn't retire with the exception of Tahtinen.
That's not because I think he was a bad signing just that I think we could get someone similar but who puts more points on the board and perhaps had more of an eye for goal. Assuming Marsh and Walton retire that would leave us 4 new imports to get with the additional one. Add Ben Davies and we could have a proper 4th line of Ben, CJ and Mychan. I do however see a couple of others moving on (Hendrix, Hudson and possibly Haddad) so could be a few more changes.

backrow

Two of the biggest considerations for the management team, outside of import numbers, could be the eventual move to the bigger ice surface which puts a premium on skating and puck moving ability and the overall consistency of the players both at home and on the road.
There are certainly players that move to the forefront with these two criteria.

Finny

As someone who has previously criticised such threads mid-season I will also agree that this is the ideal time for this kind of thread. I'm sure Lord, Francis and Kelman are thinking the same as will be the players.

There is nobody I would be unhappy to see return although I too would like to see a couple of changes. As a results I'm going to change mine slightly to which players I would re-sign as a priority and which I could accept if they moved on.

Bowns: Exceeded my expectations for this season. I was most impressed with how he dealt with his mid-season dip in form and came back in the those final weeks stronger than ever. I'd be happy to give him a multi-year contract although part of me wonders whether Lord will question if the increase in import numbers makes a brit netminder as key anymore. Although in years to come with the import numbers increasing you wonder whether we might go for a brit and import netminder rotation system like in the ISL days.
Priority Re-Signing

Will: Didn't see too much of him but when he did play he looked amongst the best backups in the league. Lord was clearly confident enough to play him when Bowns was having a bad spell. Hope he returns.

Richardson: The most reliable, consistent and dependable British defenceman in the league. Only the return of O'Connor has challenged his #1 status. Priority Re-Signing.

Batch: I was hoping for a good year that would see him challenging for a GB squad. Ended up having the breakout of all breakout seasons. Toughest brit in the league and has got rid of his bad habits. Could easily be the best British Defenceman in the next couple of years. Priority Re-Signing.

Hotham: Awesome in defence. Awesome in Attack. Will fight when needed. Best Dman in the league. Priority Re-Signing

Tyson: Slightly overshadowed by Hotham this season but still showed he is one of the best Dmen in the league. Looked on Sunday like he was going to retire, which won't be as big a loss as it would have been last summer.

Hudson: Started the season superbly, but never seemed to recover from his injury. Great carrying the puck forward but his place as our most offensive Dman was taken by Hotham.

Hendrikx: Another who started the season brilliantly but seemed to struggle with injuries lately. The best hip-checker we have seen over here, but I wonder if the opposition had started to twig by the end of the season. Would hate to see him on an opposition team though.

Myers: Don't understand the criticism he gets from some of our fans. A beast on the forecheck and in the corners. Takes some whacks and slashes when screening the netminder and we really missed him when he was out injured. If Tyson does retire he'd be my number 1 choice as Captain. Priority Re-Signing.

Jones and Piggott: Neither let us down when called upon. Could have an even bigger roll next season if the extra import allows us to play 4 lines.

Martin: Do I really need to say any more? Priority Re-Signing.

Lord: Great coaching. Great recruitment. Arguably an even better season on the ice than the last. Already re-signed but I included him anyway.

Morissette: I admit I wasn't that excited when he was announced as re-signing and assumed it was a cheap signing as part of the budget. Has been absolutely fantastic this season, both vocal and physical on the ice and finished as one of the top scorers in the league. Priority Re-Signing.

Haddad: Started the season brilliantly, but then struggled to settle with different linemates. Finished strongly though, has shown glimpses of real brilliance and I think there is more still to come. Priority Re-Signing.

Culligan: Started slowly, not helped by that early injury and another who struggled to settle with linemates. Once he adapted to his first season of professional hockey though he showed how good he was and was arguably our key player in the final couple of months. Priority Re-Signing.

Clarkson: Gets criticised by some for not throwing a hit on every shift....although I think Voth got that criticism in his later seasons too. That level of physicality is just not possible, but his size still intimidates the opposition. Has a long reach that catches out opponents and a lot more skill than people give him credit. Priority Re-Signing.

Mychan: Another player who got injured early in the season and struggled to settle. By mid-season though he was showing what he had to offer, and it was a lot more skill than I was expecting. I don't think the injury ever went though and he was unable to play his instigator role as he wanted - especially when injury hit again. Would like to see how he did on a 4th line sent out to wear down the opposition.

Walton: Showed a lot more skill for someone I expected to be an out and out sniper. Perhaps didn't score quite as many as I expected but his scoring rate did seem to increase in the second half of the season after his second child was born and he was given new linemates.

Tahtinen: Didn't impress me in the first couple of weeks and seemed to make a lot of mistakes for someone so experienced. By the final month though he was another key player and surprisingly physical for a European.

So I think that's 11 players I'm desperate to see return along with 2 or 3 of the others. Leaving us enough space for maybe 4 or 5 new imports and ideally 1 new brit.

KaneDevils

Brad Voth

Oh sorry I've misinterpreted the thread .....

On a serious note, I think the majority of players will return, minus Walton, Marsh, Mychan, maybe Tahtinen. The rest will re-sign I reckon.

Sheincar

Genuine question - where has the notion come from that Walton is retiring? Everything I've read says that he & his wife are really happy here.

Temme

Apparently he's in pain whenever he skates due to his knees, but I can't confirm anything.

I'd love to see him back, his form in the second half of the season was deadly.

jimmy snels

All brits. Myers richardson and batch especially, all play at a high level every night. Myres is a beast in front of net and it rarely gets praised.

Hothan marsh. been total class. hendrikx was a beast early doors but seemed to slow up around xmas. Hudson had a period around the same time where he gave away a lot more possession But to be fair by feb was back to early season standards. If either were to stay or go wouldn't argue either way.

Mychan a stay for me. people talk penalties but he quite often took someone with him and totally put opposition off their games. He's not an enforcer he's an agitator and he's very good at it!

Walton didn't score enough for our top man and went misding a bit IMO. I think your top scorer in a top team needs to be 35 goals ish.

Haddad defo keep. A beast round the ice, scores, hits and is genuinely flat out every night.

Clarkson. I personally don't think he scores enough if he's not going to protect his team mates. I'd rather an out n out scorer if thats how he plays and a seperate hard man in .....

Tat's place who i don't really think improved us that much other than winning face offs when myers wasn't there.

Culligan Defo keep. Does a lot right, 1st year young pro. Will improve again.

Morrisette lord and marty are no brainers

To me... there's a few absolute critical signings for me.... Hotham , Martin, hudson and culligan would be my 4 main priorities....

Mo I think will stay as long as lord is here so that's a no brainer...

As good as hes been Ide say mychan would go.... reason is that his type of player isn't few and far between. And the same goes for Clarkson.... Hendo needs to go. If I had to pick a weak poinot in our D Ide say it would be him. Too slow, too inconsistent and generally... replaceable.

I'm confident all of the brits will stay (which is a great thing)

That leaves Marsh and wally.... Ide have them both back... Marsh is.... Marsh and Walton at times was our talisman on the PP. Ide be sad if the both left but I feel we will be getting an either or deal here....

As usual all this is IMHO!

Netminders

Bowns - I really like Bowns, and feel we could build a team around him for years, I also get the impression that he loves the place and is really settled here. On the other hand, I'm questioning the importance of a british netminder now the import limit is increasing to 13 :roll: - Undecided

Will - Best back up in the league without a doubt, nice to see Lord had confidence in him to start him in some league games in order to give Ben a night off and I'm confident with him in net, which is more than most eihl fans could say about their back up! - Keep!

Defencemen

Batch - Import quality british D man who can bully players out of games, defensively responsible and will stick up for his team mates no matter who it's against while probably being one of the toughest players in the league. - Priority signing

Hendrikx - Throws devastating hip checks which can lift the roof off the bbt and the team as a whole which provides great entertainment value which not many players can, and also willing to stick up for his teammates. Was amazing up until christmas, but has tailed off since and been a little suspect. I'd be tempted to re-sign him after having a word in his ear and taking the A away. - Undecided

Hotham - Best defenceman in the league. Does it all, and would be hard to replace. Enough said. Top priority signing

Hudson - Reliable defenceman, good at transitional play and could also be used as our eu player next year as he holds dual citizenship - Keep

Marsh - Still has a year or two left in him I think, wouldn't be surprised if he retired, but equally I would take him for another season - Keep

Richardson - Elite british D man who rarely makes a mistake - Keep

Forwards

Clarkson - Had a good season, good at agitating and screening the net. Wouldn't be unhappy to see him return, but equally I feel it's either a smaller forward who puts up points, or a larger guy who throws his weight around a bit. - Undecided

Culligan - good season as a first year pro, I think he could go one of two ways next season - Undecided

Haddad - Probably one of the best all round players in the league, agitates, is physical and gives 100% - Keep

Jones - Ever improving, could be a good bet for a regular shift on a 4th line next season - Keep

Lord - Already signed up! - What a coup, excellent coach and great player.

Martin - Exactly what you expect from a top line centre, puts points up and will stick up for himself - Priority signing

Morrissette - shot blocking machine and has been like a different player this year. I think he's a safe bet to return - Keep

Mychan - Like his style of play and would be happy to see him back, but equally I think we could get a better replacement in such as Danick Paquette. - Undecided

Myers - As has been mentioned, he's an absolute beast in front of net, winds the opposition up a treat and is a solid reliable brit - Keep

Piggott - Love his tenacity and commitment to the team despite having a very demanding lifestyle off the ice - Keep

Tahtinen - Face-off stats are insane, though I think we could get a better replacement in who's younger and puts more points on the board. - Let go

Walton - Has been a good player for us this year, for some reason I've never really been too impressed with him and am not sure why. - Undecided

backrow

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I do have trouble agreeing with several of ScottyDoesn'tKnow's assessments.

However, I have to admit that with so many "Undecideds" he did a great job of living up to his username.

jimmy snels

backrow said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I do have trouble agreeing with several of ScottyDoesn'tKnow's assessments.

However, I have to admit that with so many "Undecideds" he did a great job of living up to his username.
Rather than being critical of others opinions why don't you do YOUR list.... :DWD

backrow

jimmy snels, I didn't think I was being overly critical of the selections but did have trouble agreeing with two of the undecided. The "undecided" remark was a playful poke at the username.

Anyway as requested.

Very happy with our goaltending tandem. Bowns should only improve!

Hotham, Hudson, Richardson and Batch are all keepers, with Marsh making his own decision about retirement or not. Hendrix, with the eventual switch to the bigger ice surface is a tough decision for me.

Martin, Morisette, Lord, Haddad, Culligan, Myers and Walton along with Jones and Piggott in their support roles would give you a very strong nucleus for next year and fit the bigger ice surface in my humble opinion. I would add Clarkson to this group if I thought his physical game would be more consistent and Mychan and Tahtinen are real question marks.

In summary, Tyson Marsh himself is undecided and I have two tough decisions in Hendrix and Clarkson and two big question marks in Mychan and Tahtinen.

jimmy snels

With the extra import could we afford to carry a genuine tough cookie? Or do you go with an extra all out scorer? im thinking if clarkson went you could get one of each. Like you say though with bigger ice coming i think we might be a bit slow and need faster players.