Smith Confirms New Festival Pricing

Thread starter #1
Steelers owner Tony Smith has confirmed that he is reducing the prices for the Festival of Hockey – his first major decision since taking over the club last week

“I want the building full for our birthday party. I want this to be the biggest and best event in Sheffield that Bank Holiday weekend and after taking advice from the Sheffield Arena and our Supporters Club I decided that we needed to change the original pricing policy that our predecessors had come up with

“It’s no good holding a party and then being stuck in the kitchen on your own playing with the corkscrew. You want guests, you want fun and you want the whole place buzzing. We are putting so much effort into making the Festival a great day, a day celebrating 20 years of on ice success. We have already received confirmation that great Steelers stars such as Ron Shudra, Tommy Plommer, Wayne Cowley and Mike Blaisdell will be present and there will be many, many more added to that list

“Any Steelers fan over the last 20 years will want to be present on the 27th August to welcome home the biggest and best names that have ever worn the Steelers shirt and we don’t want to out price them. We are confident that our new pricing policy will attract many fans and that we will fill the arena for the most special of days”

Ticket prices for the Festival of Hockey – Saturday 27th August 2011 – Sheffield Arena

Tickets purchased prior to the 27th August:
Children: £5.00
Concessions: Season  Ticket holders £14 – Non Season Ticket Holders £16
Adults: Season Ticket Holders £18 – Non Season Ticket Holders £22.50 

Tickets purchased on the day of the Festival:
Children: £7
Concessions: Season Ticket Holders £16 – Non Season Ticket Holders £18
Adults: Season Ticket Holders £20 – Non Season Ticket Holders £24.50

Those supporters who have already purchased tickets and require a refund of the difference should contact the  Motorpoint (Sheffield) Arena Box Office (0114 256 5656)

TheStub

Apparently there will be news about the festival today.

I'm expecting names and revised pricing... leave a question mark over those who have already bought tickets though.

Tyke Devil

I would suggest that if we do not follow the lead by Tony Smith that the Festival of Hockey in Cardiff will be a dead duck.

Notwithstanding the fact that many Cardiff fans appeared not to supportive of the event (for whatever reasons and that is their choice), those that were planning to go can really not be expected to pay so much more than the Steeler fans for essentially the same event.

I wonder if we will have any news on this today? I thought a decision was to made within 10 days of the forum, pretty sure that is what was said on the night.

That would be about now then?

very big day in Devils history today though, it's the creditors meeting for RInk Corp

I agree that a decision on this would be better sooner rather than later, but I'd completely understand if they let this slip while they deal with tidying up the businesses

I probably wouldn't have attended at the advertised pricing but can't see how it would be viable if the price is slashed

Hynod

Say at the new pricing we sell 2000 tickets and steelers sell 3000, that would be approx £60,000.(based on average ticket price of £12) That would be more than enough to cover costs and split profits between clubs.

Tyke Devil

Hynod said:
Say at the new pricing we sell 2000 tickets and steelers sell 3000, that would be approx £60,000.(based on average ticket price of £12) That would be more than enough to cover costs and split profits between clubs.
I would have thought, even if these are events containing both the Devils and Steelers, that profits for each organisation will be based on their own income from tickets etc. against the costs involved to set up the respective events.

Can't imagine that there will be any "profit share" between the two clubs over the two days. Might be wrong though.

Would be in favour of a "loss share" though! ;)

I'd like to see it go ahead, but i can't see it selling out and raising that much money. it's a good idea, but timing, political situation and financials are going against it

I also don't think there are now the ties between the clubs to be all cosy about pricing and sharing costs etc. otherwise there would have been a joint announcement

it's time to wait and see I suppose

TheStub

The other problem I can see - for this one off game the revised pricing that the Steelers are offering would probably result in the Devils either barely breaking even, or making a loss on the event.

If we are bringing in 20 guys, if we sell out with an average price of £12 then there will only be £1380 per guy getting flown in. Admittedly there will be a few local guys, but the transatlantic flights and accommodation will probably swallow that a fair bit.

I'm assuming here that we are not paying any Steelers costs, and they are not paying any of ours.

Basically, if this is going to make a decent return (and that is something we all should want) they would probably need to charge a little more, sell it out, and make a packet on merchandise and other events on the day.

wildthing74

This is a very tricky one to call.For me if it was done as promised and we had a team of legends back that had not graced these shores for a decade or so I would be more than happy to pay the £30 or whatever it costs if it meant 1 last chance to see the likes of Ken Hodge,Ivan Matulik,Kip Noble etc.
The problem we have is being that we have a lot of younger fans who were not around in them days maybe these names would mean nothing and would see it as just another game.
Its not to say that these are any lesser fans but they would not asocciate with them in the same way a lot of us 'older folk' :lol: :lol:
Its like when the old man used to go on about the City teams of the past.Went totally over my head but he would have paid the earth to see them again.

I have a feeling they might share, without the devils team Sheffield won't have a game at home. So there would be no profit, maybe a gentleman's agreement is in place as part of the takeover? Remember PR stills owes 50% so it's possible.

ASHIPP

The new pricing strategy is very fair - hopefully more tickets sold as a result. Would be great for the BBT to be packed out for these games. :D

As for the expense of bringing Legends players into the UK - perhaps there will be a rethink, with more of the roster consisting of ex-players living in the UK?

davew

More important to me than the festival is how much and when the "mini" ST will be available for our CC games - the season opener is a CC game so we need to know sooner than later, IF any monies left then I might attend, but I would rather see these players back for stevies testimopnial game later in the season.

wildthing74

Surely they deserve to sell out for this now.No excuse not to go for anybody not on holiday.Be great to see some old players who deserve support for the great service and success they brought this great club.

Finny

Sounds good to me.

I didn't think £30 would be too bad if the Legends game was taken fairly seriously - but £22 is very good value for two games IMO.