Skalde interview (season so far)

osh

I was interested to see how he would handle awkward question, but for gods sake, very safe questions were asked with predictable answers ( I could have sat in his chair and said more or less the same things ! )
Where were the following questions….maybe too afraid to ask eh ?

If the team don’t get results this weekend, will you consider making changes to the roster ? Boom, put him on the spot !
Without naming names, are you satisfied with your rosters fitness, adhering to your game plans, attitude and adapting to the EIHL style of play ?
Have you underestimated the EIHL having started off playing against slick moving CHL standard teams and then having to adapt to a more physical style of play week in week out ?

jenks33

I was interested to see how he would handle awkward question, but for gods sake, very safe questions were asked with predictable answers ( I could have sat in his chair and said more or less the same things ! )
Where were the following questions….maybe too afraid to ask eh ?

If the team don’t get results this weekend, will you consider making changes to the roster ? Boom, put him on the spot !
Without naming names, are you satisfied with your rosters fitness, adhering to your game plans, attitude and adapting to the EIHL style of play ?
Have you underestimated the EIHL having started off playing against slick moving CHL standard teams and then having to adapt to a more physical style of play week in week out ?
The questioning is always a bit safe isn’t it. I don’t necessarily blame the guys in this particular interview as it’s an EIHL interview rather than a Devils interview. Personally I’d like to see a lengthy interview with Skalde and Oliver Hampson/Gareth Huish with some tougher questions. Obviously respectful questioning but just a few harder questions. Thing is I think Skalde would happily answer tougher questions. He’s ab honest bloke. I remember when we signed him I saw a couple of tweets from journalists who interviewed Skalde a lot when he was with Norfolk and Guelph. He had some really difficult periods with both teams but the media guys always said he was a pleasure to deal with

matbur

I see where you guys are coming from but I felt he spoke openly about acknowledging and addressing some of the issues that they're currently having.

From my perspective, it was the first time I've spoken with Skalde and I would like to have a good line of communication with him moving forward and grilling someone when they've already acknowledged some of those problems would likely just see them just put the shutters up.

I take on board what you guys are saying though.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

I liked the interview, good job well done and l get the not grilling. People being interviewed will only answer with what they want made public, unless you water board them, nobody is going to break. You can ask all the tough question you want, won’t change the answer.

osh

I liked the interview, good job well done and l get the not grilling. People being interviewed will only answer with what they want made public, unless you water board them, nobody is going to break. You can ask all the tough question you want, won’t change the answer.
Have to disagree sorry. Fully respect Matburs response to my post and sort of understand why his questions were a little on the subtle side, however, sometimes a coach has to be put on the spot and I feel that this is a critical time for the team who are under his leadership hence why I posted the sort of questions I would have liked answered. ( maybe next time eh ? ) but either way, as for you saying you can “ask all the tough questions you want, won’t change the answers” ! How do you know that if they aren’t asked in the first instance ?

Mazzoak

Have to disagree sorry. Fully respect Matburs response to my post and sort of understand why his questions were a little on the subtle side, however, sometimes a coach has to be put on the spot and I feel that this is a critical time for the team who are under his leadership hence why I posted the sort of questions I would have liked answered.
Yeah l get that, you are spot on.

( maybe next time eh ? ) but either way, as for you saying you can “ask all the tough questions you want, won’t change the answers” ! How do you know that if they aren’t asked in the first instance ?
Interviews are not compulsory, no organisation is going to throw itself under & negatively impact their position.
The Devils position isn’t rocket science to work out, Todd isn’t going to tell Skalde, sorry the bank just confirmed our balance is £3000, wages will be difficult to cover this month. Skalde isn’t then going to tell anyone anything, even if he knew.........
How do l know if you don’t ask in the first instance ? I guess I don’t really, I’m not psychic, having said that in the billions of archived interviews across the world, few can be deemed as earth shatteringly honest, so you have to accept interviews be taken on their merits.

osh

Yeah l get that, you are spot on.

Interviews are not compulsory, no organisation is going to throw itself under & negatively impact their position.
The Devils position isn’t rocket science to work out, Todd isn’t going to tell Skalde, sorry the bank just confirmed our balance is £3000, wages will be difficult to cover this month. Skalde isn’t then going to tell anyone anything, even if he knew.........
How do l know if you don’t ask in the first instance ? I guess I don’t really, I’m not psychic, having said that in the billions of archived interviews across the world, few can be deemed as earth shatteringly honest, so you have to accept interviews be taken on their merits.
yes, I understand where you are coming from, and fair play to Skalde he answered the questions asked of him. They just wouldn’t have been the questions I would have asked.