Six Nations to be played behind closed doors

moggy#9

Some people just dont get the simple rules that if were abided by then the tougher restrictions wouldnt be needed. But they refuse to wear a mask and get arsey when asked about one.

So many people in the UK now have no basic human decency for others and just think they can do as they please and screw the rest, until it comes to something that impacts them then they start bleating and crying over and over.

There should be and should have been much more enforcement of rules from the start of this and maybe we wouldnt be in the position we are in now.

I feel sorry for the people that are impacted by this shitty virus on a daily basis, like the vulnerable through illness or health treatment, the nurses, Drs etc and those that cannot get proper health care as health staff are either off work sick themselves or been moved to cover covid sick patients meaning they cant do their normal daily job.
Hit the nail on the head! If I could like this comment more than once, I would.

Devil94

This isn’t about the virus anymore. It’s all about politics. It’s all about doing the opposite to boris
So apart from the fact that it's Boris that is being different to everybody else, and that Boris is not taking the advice of his scientists for more restrictions because of fear of backlash from his own MPs, it's in Wales that it's all about politics?

Finny

And whilst I think Boris is an absolute clown.... His decision so far is working no worse than the rest, so England will come out the other side much less decimated financially.
Well the army are being sent in to staff hospitals in London because the situation is so bad there.
Which other countries are doing the same?

I guess if you ignore case numbers, hospitalisations and deaths then yes - there is no difference so far......

kingmo19.1

This is one of those rare opportunities where the wannabe politicians of power (Sturgeon and Drakeford - looking at you) have the chance to do something different to Boris!

Given that opportunity, these clowns will always take it - chance to try and prove a point, feel important and relevant which neither is!

Finny

We all know covid is real but if your not comfortable with going to crowded places and venues.....THEN DON'T.
Cool. But what about those of us who work in crowded places?

I saw a comment on twitter that Hospital staff in England are effectively being asked to work longer hours and give up days off/holidays so they can treat people who have been having fun in nightclubs and football matches.

"Live with the Virus" seems to be the new "Taking Back Control".

Rempel16

Well the army are being sent in to staff hospitals in London because the situation is so bad there.

I guess if you ignore case numbers, hospitalisations and deaths then yes - there is no difference so far......
For staff shortages due to the high transmission rate of Omicron, not because of the hospitalisations and deaths - hence why the change in ruling for asympomatic positive cases - the requirement to isolate is crippling emergency services because positive asymptomatic (and negative LFT means you're not infectious) are having to stay home.

Mazzoak

Germany. Although slightly different it’s deployed large numbers into the Care industry as a Germany has a staffing crisis within its Care Homes, the pre Covid crisis made worse by the Pandemic. The military is on standby across EU countries and have been used in previous waves.

https://www.dw.com/en/germanys-new-covid-19-crisis-team-to-be-headed-by-two-star-general/a-59971302

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-the-german-armys-fight-on-the-homefront/a-56553467

NathanG

Some people will always defend Drakeford/Welsh Labour regardless of how ridiculous the rules are, I guess.

As long as the WG cover the costs of lost revenue on match nights then I guess we'll just have to accept it. It's crazy that we can travel to Manchester tomorrow to watch the boys but can't at home. Laughable actually lol.

Finny

Yeah, it's going to be a few weeks but once we're over the worst I think they'll drop restrictions pretty quickly.

Nobody should be surprised by this decision.
Glad I'm not the only one unsurprised by the decision. There has been a late of faux outrage on social media today.

The fact is that cases did rise quickly in the lead up to Christmas and we are now seeing a rise in hospitalisations and sadly deaths. Fortunately the increase in the latter was not at the same rate as cases nor the same rate we saw last year. At least not in Wales.

Cases look like they might be going up again slowly following New Years Eve and we'll have to wait to see if there is another increase due to the return of schools. As a result it's probably two weeks at the earliest that we could hope for restrictions to be relaxed.

The good news though is that in Wales the case rate appears to have slowed much earlier than it did in England. Fingers crossed the same happens with hospitalisations and deaths and crowds will be able to return to sports events before the end of the month.

It's 4 weeks until the first Six Nations game in Wales. We're more likely to be in a full lockdown than for those games to be played behind closed doors.

Finny

Some people will always defend Drakeford/Welsh Labour regardless of how ridiculous the rules are, I guess.

As long as the WG cover the costs of lost revenue on match nights then I guess we'll just have to accept it. It's crazy that we can travel to Manchester tomorrow to watch the boys but can't at home. Laughable actually lol.
What is so ridiculous about reducing large events to slow the spread?
It's happening in pretty much every country in Europe. Yes it's ridiculous that hospitals are at breaking point in England yet no further restrictions are being brought in - but that's what happens when you ignore scientific and medical advice.

moggy#9

The problem is that people simply don't think. Someone my wife knows went to a family gathering of 25 people over Xmas, and soon afterwards they all came down with covid. It's not rocket science to minimise potential exposure, but a lot of people don't seem to have the first clue.

It's happening in pretty much every country in Europe. Yes it's ridiculous that hospitals are at breaking point in England yet no further restrictions are being brought in - but that's what happens when you ignore scientific and medical advice.
Why would you impose restrictions when ICU's are empty and the rolling average of deaths is still low? 35%-48% of people in English hospitals are in for reason other than Covid. They have simply tested positive while in for something else. Lockdowns and restrictions are not baseline health measures, they should be used as a very very last resort.

You can not restrict peoples rights and freedoms because a lot of people are testing positive for an illness, but are not falling seriously ill.

If you impose restrictions now, you may as well bring them back every winter.

JT666

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...s-rising-three-times-faster-englands-despite/

Covid case rates in Wales are rising almost three times faster than those in England despite tougher restrictions being in place, according to the latest figures.

People in Wales have been living under alert level two measures since Boxing Day. The measures include mandatory face coverings in all indoor settings, a six-person limit for meeting in public places and the closure of nightclubs.

Despite the measures, the country's Covid cases have almost doubled since Dec 26, with an overall increase of 94 per cent, according to the latest government data. In comparison, England's cases have increased by only 34 per cent.

Under England's Plan B measures – less strict than in Wales – people have been told to work from home wherever possible, wear face coverings on public transport and in public places and show proof of their Covid vaccination status to access large events and nightclubs.

Professor Robert Dingwall, a former government Covid adviser, from Nottingham Trent University, said that the omicron variant in Wales is "driving an increase which is not really being contained by these extra restrictions".

He told The Telegraph: "What I think can be reasonably said is that all of the extra interventions put in place by the Welsh Government really do not seem to have had any impact."

He added that the same scenario is taking place in certain places in France "which have a lot more restrictions, but are also having big waves of Covid, especially in the major cities".

"Omicron is so infectious that actually nothing you do makes much difference," he said.

Of course as I previously mentioned on another thread, those making these decisions (politicians and civil servants) aren’t at risk of losing their income or pensions. As much as the UK Government is rightly criticised for being out of touch with “ordinary people”, those making the decisions in this country are just as delusional. As I saw on a pub sign in Usk last year, “Trade not aid” should be the policy from now on.

Last edited:

NathanG

Has science proven that large events (football/Rugby matches) spread the virus more than say, busy shopping centres, supermarkets etc? Of course there's a slight risk but that's up to the individual to assess said risk before attending, no? Wasn't the introduction of vaccine passports meant to mitigate the risk of becoming severely ill from the virus therfore allowing people to attend gigs, football matches etc? Why introduce them than ban people attending events weeks later?

As for hospitals.. Westminster and the councillors in Cardiff Bay have had almost 2 years to come up with a contingency plan to protect the NHS during the winter. They knew there'd be an increase in infection rates and potentially hospitalisation rates yet have done nothing but left wards severely understaffed.

In closing, I think the both London and Cardiff administrations are run by total wankers.

Kevlar68

Let's not kid ourselves, the politicians aren't to blame for this, the public are.
During first outbreak all those rules and still people flouting them.
During Delta variant, easier rules, still not good enough, rules flouted,
Level zero very few rules, still a pain in the ass for allot, rules flouted.
Omicron variant arrives, hardly any gave a shit for rules. We saw it all around, now we are where we are.

rocketbob

The clown has been quoted as saying "let the bodies pile high" and publicly said we should "take it on the chin" regarding the first wave. He cares nothing for science or for the public in any of the UK nations and any policy that he has in place is for the benefit of himself and his financial backers.