Signings Thread - All Teams 2022/23

Kevlar68

I just thought Carruth was a exciting nettie as he was edgy, ramped up but was technically excellent all round.
I think that when Bownsy left after being so good for us allot thought would we get as good a nettie and when Carruth came in he in fact was better within that one season so people can only judge him on that one season and no one can deny he did save the team.
He may have stayed and had a shit season but we'll never know, so for that one season yes he was awesome but that was then and now is a new fresh season.
Yes, there is no doubt there are other netties out there of his and Besko's calibre but are they available, that's the question as we haven't seen one join the EIHL yet this season.

Last edited:

moggy#9

Besko’s replacement is https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/285204/peyton-jones

They’ve also announced Whistle and Conway.
I've just seen some video of him and he seems very different in style from besky. My first impression is that he doesn't seem as good positionally and seems to report much more on flashy recoveries and reflexes. These video compilations won't tell the whole story though, so I guess we'll get a better idea on the 19th.

Devil94

It's worth remembering that yes we were 14 points behind, and for most of those games we lost points, like Dundee 3 times, Fife, Coventry at home (there's more but I can't remember), Carruth was in net.
Now I know there were a few problems in our rough patch, not scoring goals was one, and a leaky defense was another. But if your netminder is someone you don’t necessarily get on with, a character that divides the room, then would the players in front of him play for him 100%? Especially a mid week game in Kirkcaldy. Would they block every shot they could? It would be subconscious of course, but these things matter.

Kozun on the other hand won 11 straight of his league games? The defense seemed a lot tighter in front of him. I reckon that's a big reason why he and Bowns is back and Mac is not.

ASHIPP

It's worth remembering that yes we were 14 points behind, and for most of those games we lost points, like Dundee 3 times, Fife, Coventry at home (there's more but I can't remember), Carruth was in net.
Now I know there were a few problems in our rough patch, not scoring goals was one, and a leaky defense was another. But if your netminder is someone you don’t necessarily get on with, a character that divides the room, then would the players in front of him play for him 100%? Especially a mid week game in Kirkcaldy. Would they block every shot they could? It would be subconscious of course, but these things matter.

Kozun on the other hand won 11 straight of his league games? The defense seemed a lot tighter in front of him. I reckon that's a big reason why he and Bowns is back and Mac is not.
However good a goalie is, he cannot win games all by himself. Two big factors affected the Devils' performance last season in a negative way....BOC was a liability throughout his stay on the roster. And only being able to ice 4 defencemen for 8 weeks had a huge affect on the energy levels and tactics of the other players. Add in those rumoured tensions and divisions in the locker room....difficult to win games with all that going on.

moggy#9

Don't forget that kozun never started games against top opponents, so there's a disparity right there. Also kozun had such a slump in form later in the season, and dupont didn't seem to have confidence in him, that I was frankly surprised that he was back.

I'd suggest that a big part of players not putting their bodies on the line was the fact that we simply couldn't afford to lose anyone else to injury.

The simple truth is that without carruth the devils would have been a lot further back than they actually were. Had the coffee been smelt earlier wrt BOC, perhaps the gap would have been smaller.

Devil94

Don't forget that kozun never started games against top opponents, so there's a disparity right there. Also kozun had such a slump in form later in the season, and dupont didn't seem to have confidence in him, that I was frankly surprised that he was back.

I'd suggest that a big part of players not putting their bodies on the line was the fact that we simply couldn't afford to lose anyone else to injury.

The simple truth is that without carruth the devils would have been a lot further back than they actually were. Had the coffee been smelt earlier wrt BOC, perhaps the gap would have been smaller.
Sure Kozun didn't play the big games, but he won against the smaller teams. Mac often didn't. He was in net for all those games we shouldn't have dropped points, Dundee Home, Dundee away 3 times (one CC), Coventry home, Fife, Guildford home, and heavy home losses to Sheffield, Nottingham when they were bad. Lots of those were post BOC too.

And I disagree it's the simple truth. You could have put another goalie in there who was maybe not up to Mac's quality, but one that had a better relationship with his d-men and who would play for him every night, and we wouldn't have been so far behind. If you look at him purely as a goalie then he was good, but he was also a contributor to the defensive failures of the team at some stages.

Kevlar68

The point about dropping points against lesser teams has happened in all our seasons.
Every team can beat any team on the right given day.
Could be fatigue, could be players missing, could be a bad day at the office, could be over confident, could be wrong tactically.
Just because a team isn't as good as your own on paper doesn't mean a certain win.

Last edited:

Devil94

The point about dropping points against lesser teams has happened in all our seasons.
Could be fatigue, could be players missing, could be a bad day at the office, could be over confident, could be wrong tactically.
Just because a team isn't as good as your own on paper doesn't mean a certain win.
Of course not, there are no easy games, you're always gonna lose a few games in Scotland every year. But it happened a lot more last year than previous and it what cost us, because we did quite well against the big teams.

moggy#9

Coventry's new signing Brock trotter looked like he could be a good find. Some very good experience, but if I were a blaze fan, his age might be a concern.

BostonBart22

Or the coaches approach to starting the games, not pumped up enough, like skaldes famous interviews, " we were slow out of the blocks " he used that excuse a good number of times..

moggy#9

surely not number 1 nettie.. there again would be better for us on our goals scored chart..
I can't believe that their fans would be massively impressed. I read an article recently from that well known oracle of truth, the Sheffield star ;-), that a return of brust seemed unlikely. If he does come back that would suggest that they'd not been able to get whoever they actually wanted.

kettdevil1

I am at a loss to explain it if the rumour is true..... for sure he must be better than he seemed last year given his history, but even if we accept that last year was not representative of how good he can be. Why would you take a risk that he wouldn't come back to his best the following season? Especially given Sheffield are not exactly known for keeping underperforming players.

I hope he is back (not least because he is a character and that always enlivens the league) but I suspect I would have a different view if I was a Steeler's fan

Finny

Giants sign a 6th import D:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/325123/will-cullen

looks a very good signing and someone you’d expect to be still fighting for AHL call ups for a couple more seasons.

It‘s starting to sound like Belfast will start the season with one or two extra imports for their CHL campaign. Will be interesting to see if they carry them as spares into the EIHL season or cut them after their first 4 CHL games.

Depending on the roster rules and deadlines this season you could argue it gives them a slight advantage in terms of being able to “try before they buy”.

Diablo3

Giants sign a 6th import D:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/325123/will-cullen

looks a very good signing and someone you’d expect to be still fighting for AHL call ups for a couple more seasons.

It‘s starting to sound like Belfast will start the season with one or two extra imports for their CHL campaign. Will be interesting to see if they carry them as spares into the EIHL season or cut them after their first 4 CHL games.

Depending on the roster rules and deadlines this season you could argue it gives them a slight advantage in terms of being able to “try before they buy”.
They lost Reinhart so not sure if that is an upgrade or not