Signings/departures 2010/2011 - All Other Teams

Finny

Seems a strange signing to use a Uni deal on.

Decent enough re-signing for the Blaze though as they did appear to be lacking players who will drop the gloves or skate around the ice like a thug trying to fight any of the smaller players on the ice.

Benny is a quality signing for the Giants.. One of the most hard working players last season and he gelled well with the other top line guys around him.. I'm very pleased he has returned..

Shanker's signing gives the Blaze another tough player but who will also put up decent enough points for the team. Thomo now has 4 tougher players in the Blaze roster (Zanon,Shanker,Selmser,Lee) and he has said on radio they will be signing another tough D.man simalar to Robo for next season.... Blaze will not be getting pushed around next year with these guys in the roster..

Finny said:
Not sure why it is strange? We all know Thommo likes players who he knows all about so it makes sense to get a guy like Shanker back, use a uni deal to get him cheaper and then spend the rest of our millions on the rest of the squad :lol:

Gazza272

J.B said:
Finny said:
Not sure why it is strange? We all know Thommo likes players who he knows all about so it makes sense to get a guy like Shanker back, use a uni deal to get him cheaper and then spend the rest of our millions on the rest of the squad :lol:

For me its strange in the sense that Shanker hasnt got many other places to go now, getting on a little bit and seems settled here, so the uni deal as a bargaiing chip seems a little strange, everyone else in the EIHL has their forwards lined up pretty much, and braehad must be the only team left with cruickshank style wages.

What happens now if Thommo is locked in a bidding war for a d man with say Nottingham and its purely down to money but the uni deal for cruickshank would have swung it? All Hypothesis of course, but i must admit i was suprised.

Taken from his facebook page
will be missed by all in the league

Sean McMorrow WANTS TO THANK EVERYONE FOR MAKING MY EXPERIENCE IN BELFAST THE BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE... I WILL NEVER FORGET...YOU ALL HAVE A PLACE IN MY HEART = CHEERS AND BYE FOR NOW!!!

Gazza272 said:
What happens now if Thommo is locked in a bidding war for a d man with say Nottingham and its purely down to money but the uni deal for cruickshank would have swung it? All Hypothesis of course, but i must admit i was suprised.
I see your point and I imagine there is also a degree of "once bitten twice shy" after having to gas Kelman halfway through the year and the issues that caused with him attending uni. As said before, Coventry Uni isn't really the same pull now we are competing against better ones like Cardiff and Belfast. It seems like you have taken what we started a few years ago and really taken it to the next level.

James

Administrator
Looks an uncharacteristically good netminder signing for the Panthers there. He'll be gassed by new year though as surely as Sheffield will gas any enforcer.

http://www.dundeestars.com/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=310

Dundee CCS Stars have signed 28 year old Canadian forward Brent Hughes from the [team=39006]Newcastle Vipers[/team].

Stars' player/coach Dan Ceman said today, "I'm delighted that Brent has agreed to join us for next season, the qualities that he will bring to the team are competitiveness and tenacity, he's a proven point getter and an obvious leader on the ice, he's vastly experienced and is a player that can make his mark on the game, these are all the qualities I'm looking for in my team. He will no doubt be a big hit with the Dundee fans. He has captained several teams at a high level so he will clearly be an important player for us."

Does anyone else think it was a bad move for the Giants not to bring McMorrow back? I'll admit that he couldn't play hockey to save his life, but he did his job in that, he entertained the fans, drew in the crowds and looked after the team. I got sick of his panto fights after 2 seconds into the game, but nobody can deny he was a great guy off the ice and it will be difficult for the Giants to find anyone with his charisma and character. He almost qualifies to be put up there with Giants legends such as Shulte and Paul Kruise.

He put bums on seats and I still think he should have been brought back.

Finny

GiantsFan90 said:
Does anyone else think it was a bad move for the Giants not to bring McMorrow back? I'll admit that he couldn't play hockey to save his life, but he did his job in that, he entertained the fans, drew in the crowds and looked after the team. I got sick of his panto fights after 2 seconds into the game, but nobody can deny he was a great guy off the ice and it will be difficult for the Giants to find anyone with his charisma and character. He almost qualifies to be put up there with Giants legends such as Shulte and Paul Kruise.

I got the feeling from the PR that it was more a case of them not being able to bring him back. Is he still trying to prove in innocence in the drugs charges? If so then I doubt he would be able to leave the country and I can't see Belfast wanting to risk signing a player with such charges still hanging over him.

Gazza272

Finny said:
GiantsFan90 said:

I got the feeling from the PR that it was more a case of them not being able to bring him back. Is he still trying to prove in innocence in the drugs charges? If so then I doubt he would be able to leave the country and I can't see Belfast wanting to risk signing a player with such charges still hanging over him.

First of all, he no where near deserves to be put up there with Kruse and Shulte, its an insult to those guys to be spoken of in the same breathe as the man who could not skate or hit. Decent with his fists yes, suprised he could tie his own laces on his skates.

Was thinking the same Finn, the only thing i could think of is maybe even if he has gotten out of the legal wrangle, just being associated with it could have proved difficult with immigration? i'm not sure how the process works though.

The release definitely sounded like they couldnt bring him back rather than they didnt want too.