Show case in Sheffield !!

Fubar

Puckaholic said:
in Sheffield you have to pass your level 5 skating before you can even think about going into a hockey programme :|

thats absolute rubbish...i saw Campbell in their hockey programme about 3 weeks ago and he deffo isnt a level 5 skater...level 4 at the most!

kettdevil1

Fubar said:
Puckaholic said:
in Sheffield you have to pass your level 5 skating before you can even think about going into a hockey programme :|

thats absolute rubbish...i saw Campbell in their hockey programme about 3 weeks ago and he deffo isnt a level 5 skater...level 4 at the most!
Is Level 5 when you learn how to put on a helmet properly..... ;)

Gaz G

Personally I think this is a joke and again another way of Ragan filling his pockets. The concept is great but with our big blue tent or not why are we playing second fiddle?????????????

This whole ownership of 2 teams is starting to wear very thin on me and I wouldn't bet against us being left in a hole again shortly once our owner has picked things up in dumpfield,

TheStub

If Regan wanted to fill his pockets, he wouldn't be in ice hockey. I'm not sold on the dual ownership idea, but this looks to be a great event - an event that our lovely tent just wouldn't support.

Plus with the Devlers being a single company we are lining both clubs pockets.

I just hope they do some stuff around it all back in Cardiff for those who can't travel... but overall it is a great move and makes me excited for what events we will see in our new barn (when it arrives).

TheStub

Just realising that sounded a bit Finnyish.

Not keen on dual ownership - but this looks to be an example of it working, not failing.

Gaz G

Our new rink when it arrives will not be the Devils own rink and while I understand shuff are in the same boat I can't see how this will benefit the Devils one bit.

Again we are left waiting to see/hear/find out if any other events around this will be held in Cardiff. My bet is that if anything happens to "benefit" us it will be a night in the Wharf pub. Total crap in my eyes.

Been watching the Devils for 8 years now and I'm still not convinced we are a sustainable business even for the likes of multi millionaires like Regan. Unfortunately playing in a league who appear determined to give us no chance of winning anything by changing the rules week in week out when it suits them......again another chance for them to line their pockets at the expense of others.............we will always be underdogs even with a new rink owned by a company who couldn't give a flying about ice hockey.

This sport is dying in the U.K unfortunately and whilst being selfish I think this whole idea is a joke as while the sport does continue to be played it's not on a level playing field.

This whole event is being advertised months before it is due to happen. Both teams on the same budget next year.............don't think so. Shuff and Regan will certainly be taking into account the massive profit from this game when budgeting for a team next year. We on the other hand will again be left with nothing apart from a 15 game ban for our new first line centre because he's good and could cause a threat to the "big" clubs.

oh fgs...

Just so as everyone knows, I have a new dress that is made purely of diamonds. It pinches in a bit around the hips and the diamonds are a bit scratchy after wearing it for a while.

Guess I'll have to nip to Debenhams for a dress for the weekend then. :roll:

LWootten said:
I thought they were doing one day down here and one day up there?
A detail like that won't stop the rabid horde though! :roll:

It looks like it'll be a great weekend of hockey, and it'll be fantastic to see some old names - from both clubs - back on the ice.

I bet half the people who go all out on here don't say a word if they pass Ragan at the rink.
I've talked to him a few times about various things that have gone on, and always found him to be very approachable. So ask away!

Oh and Clare, does the horde know those Diamonds in the dress are from Sheffield?
The uproar! :D

Finny

Imagine said:
I bet half the people who go all out on here don't say a word if they pass Ragan at the rink.
The same way as how people slag off the players on here then are best buddies on facebook and in the bar with them.

Some people are just looking for reasons to criticise Ragan and blame our failure to win the league on his purchase of the Steelers. If we had the game here on the Saturday then people would just complain that it's not fair the Festival of Hockey ends in Sheffield and they get to see our Legends last before they go back home.

DevilDom

Finny said:
Some people are just looking for reasons to criticise Ragan and blame our failure to win the league on his purchase of the Steelers.
Even through your rose tinted glasses you must be able to see why though (whether its right or wrong is a different matter).

Instances like sucking up to Dave Simms (a man detested by most Devils fans) in our rink whilst praising the Steelers fans don't help and show a complete lack of knowledge of the rivalary between the 2 teams. Then choosing to condone a few silly emails rather than back the coach and players or criticise the league disciplinary process when we all know it's a joke. So far, since his purchase of the steelers the focus has completely gone from the Devils and the team has suffered as a result at a crucial time in the season.

But hey, i'm just a fan so why does my opinion matter - at the end of the day it's all about where the biggest profit can be made and the focus won't come back onto us until we get a new rink, and we can make some more money for him.

Finny

I don't remember him sucking up to the Steelers fans anymore than he had to ours?

The Voth-Talbot PR is 12 paragraphs long. Only the last 3 are about a fan being abusive.

DevilDom said:
So far, since his purchase of the steelers the focus has completely gone from the Devils and the team has suffered as a result at a crucial time in the season.
So nothing to do with anything else then?

What about Ben Davies walking out on the club?
Denying them an extra body on the bench, he'd have had a load of ice time recently...

Defence / Goaltending having a wobble?

Other teams getting players back from injury? Picking up their game against us?

I don't have the answers, but I know the league race isn't over.
Fingers crossed against any more ridiculous disciplinary rulings from EIHL, Cardiff are still in that hunt.

Koop11

I have avoided this thread so fat but now feel the need to comment. I’m baffled at the fact people are upset that the first pre season friendly is away from home. I’m even more baffled that this has been twisted into the issue of our owner also owning the Steelers.

Had this just been our traditional pre season friendly with Coventry, with us playing in Coventry on the Saturday and us playing at home on the Sunday, would this thread even exist?!

I’m not over thrilled with the fact we have a conflict of interest again with our owner owning one of our biggest rivals. Lessons from the past have proved we got shafted and I will always be mindful of that but I cannot see anywhere since the deal with Sheffield has gone through that we have been shafted and I cannot see how this weekend of pre season hockey, which has the scope to make both clubs a lot of money, is in any way favouring Sheffield over us.

Seriously folks, get a grip please.

DevilDom

Agree those things haven't helped either. I guess what i'm saying is that it would have been nice to have the full support, time and effort of both PR and the backroom staff for the season run-in and the purchase of the steelers has provided a huge distraction and taken what was obvioulsy a smooth running ship and given it a big wobble. We'll never know whether if that hadn't happened we would have done better in the run-in.

Disagree about the title race though, we are completely out of it. We would have to win all our games and hope the steelers lose 4 of their remaining 8 games to win it now which isn't going to happen. We must however battle right to end to hopefully secure the best play-off oppenent possible.

I think this is a great idea. Really looking forward to it. It'd be nice to have it in Cardiff on the Sat i suppose but until we get the giant arena i guess that's just the way its got to be, someones gotta be on Sunday and someones gotta pay for everyone to come in from Canada.

I just hope those vets have still got the legs for back to back games!! :shock: Maybe a middle period of skills competitions like at the Vipers Hockey fest could help preserve their knees.

Overall tho can't wait! :D

[...Just thought, wont 10 different hockey teams playing in one day put a bit of a strain on the tents already 'compact' changing facilities? :? www.marqueehirecardiff.co.uk ? ]

I have to agree with Koop11, doesn't bother me wether it's in Sheff or Cardiff, to be honest i like a hockey jolly weekend be it Belfast, Nott or any other it's what you make of it yourselves.
The difference i can see is rather than the bucks going into Bob's pockets, it's going into the Rinkcorp kitty which is only good for both teams.

For me it just highlights to Cardiff City councill that our rink is no longer fit for purpose!