Shirt Auction - Where has the Poppy Appeal Money Gone?

Finny

Derby Devil said:
I did better than that Finny, I tackled Shannon head on about it at the game on Saturday.

I was told no money had been handed over yet!!!!!!!!!!! but they are getting round to it in the next few weeks, and hold up was down to dis-organisation! He also mentioned Mike Aclkland will be the over seer with the accounts open to his inspection with a club statement going on the website.

I verified this with Mike who also mentioned a fee or deduction from the total amount for a reason I not totally sure on. He would be the better one to explain what and why is being deducted.

So watch this space!
Well there we go then. An official statement to come on the website followed at some point with the money being handed over.

Chris

Administrator
To be honest, i'm still a little confused over why it's taken over 2months and counting for the club to even get around to handing the money over...

After the first dispute (not the correct word, but i don't know what else to say) this thread and associated emails/contact caused, i'd have thought the club would have tried to sort the mess out as soon as possible.

I'm still not sure why there are costs to be deducted from the money raised, I was under the impression the jerseys and designs were done for free by CH, I can't suddenly see them changing their minds 2months down the road, so just what costs are involved...

There's never been monies deducted from other auctions that have been run, and people have posted the final amounts on here. Something very very shifty is going on...

Chris.

*edit* Just seen Steves post, surprised an apology hasn't been forthcoming already to be honest, clearly a big enough stink hasn't been kicked up for the club to think about that... *edit*

Okay, here's the current state of play so everyone is aware.

I have been informed by e-mail from the Devils management that a cheque was sent to the Royal British Legion for a total of £2,715 last week.

A combined total of £4,155 was raised on the night from the auction and shirt off his back and the club has deducted £60 per jersey from this (total of 24 jerseys).

The club management has strongly represented that there is an actual cost to the club in the provision of the jerseys and £60 per jersey is the cost that has been attributed.

Management have advised that the deduction has been made because while no monetary charge was made for the provision of the jerseys there are benefits provided by the club to CH Sports (again, at no charge) which have a financial value ie. there is a contra-deal in place. The terms of that deal are the business of the club and CH Sports and as such are not a proper topic for discussion on an internet forum. I am not aware of the full details of that deal and it is not really my place to know, or to divulge them if I did know.

Finny said:
Well there we go then. An official statement to come on the website followed at some point with the money being handed over.

after the time delay and the obvious ill feeling in this thread do you not think that that was a very childish and petulent remark?

I think you need to go back to the office and re-read the staff handbook, especially the sections on Press releases and Public relations. not a very clever response from a representative of the club :roll:

Chris

Administrator
Having re-read this again...

What does the contra deal between the club and CH have to do with anything?

The press release (is it really a PR?) that DevilDrums put up makes it sound that because the club and CH do each other favours, the club have used charity jerseys to pay for something along the line instead of donating all of the jersey money to charity...

Why could these costs not have been covered by the jersey auction scheduled for tonight?

Chris.

Chris said:
£60 per shirt?

Is this some sort of joke?

Chris.
£60 a jersey is someone taking the mick. Having to bite my tongue here as hyperthetically speaking I'm sure anyone who is capable of depriving such a worthy charity would not hesitate in slapping in a slander case, so I leave it at that for now but I hope people boycott tonights auction.

Wannabe2

Jack Reacher said:
Finny said:

after the time delay and the obvious ill feeling in this thread do you not think that that was a very childish and petulent remark?

I think you need to go back to the office and re-read the staff handbook, especially the sections on Press releases and Public relations. not a very clever response from a representative of the club :roll:
Finny aint a representative of the club, where did you get that from?????

Finny

Jack Reacher said:

My post was in response to a question put to me asking if I knew what was happening. It was not intended to be either childish or petulent and I apologise to the poster who asked me the question if they felt that was my intention.

I have quickly re-read the relevant parts of my staff handbook - the first page of which confirms that " none of the following rules and regulations apply to Finny as he is allowed to do whatever he wants".
I would offer to send you a copy but as you're not a member of staff that won't be possible.

steve

Devildrums said:
The terms of that deal are the business of the club and CH Sports and as such are not a proper topic for discussion on an internet forum.

Every part of this issue is very much a proper topic for discussion i'm afraid.

This is disgraceful, and there is NO REASONABLE JUSTIFICATION for it. Fortunately i won't be there tonight anyway as i have no interest in going right now.

dont shoot the messenger Steve..Devilsdrums is not at fault here!

Its just a downright scandal and we the fans know it as such. Shirt auctions, shirt of his back, 50/50 tickets, shirt sponsership, programmes...sorry, but you've had your lot. I WILL NEVER GIVE ANOTHER SINGLE PENNY TO THIS ORGANISATION. I know i pay for tickets but its a minimum to watch my team.

steve

yep sorry, wasn't suggesting they were at fault over this if thats how it came accross - i do disagree with mike that its not a suitable topic for debate though.

......probably best not to say anything for fear of it getting slanderous....but then again i would have loved to have seen the smallprint in the contractural agreement between the Devils and CH Sports referenece charitable auction materials....... :eek:

.............the ink would still be wet!

An utter disgrace. How the management can think that is an appropriate manner in which to treat a charity (and those that gave the money to the charity by bidding on the shirts) is beyond me.

Frankly it makes me ashamed to support a club that does this right now.

Chris said:
£60 per shirt?

Chris.
Genuine question, as I haven't bought a jersey lately (and won't be now!), but how much is a Devils Jersey now-a-days? Surely not more than £60???

Either way, this whole issue has tarnished the club and made a mockery of those serving for our country. I hope the money taken from the overall total is put to good use :roll:

Out of interest, how much was made at the last auction?

Gazza272

Junk & Disorderly said:
Chris said:
£60 per shirt?

Chris.
Genuine question, as I haven't bought a jersey lately (and won't be now!), but how much is a Devils Jersey now-a-days? Surely not more than £60???

Either way, this whole issue has tarnished the club and made a mockery of those serving for our country. I hope the money taken from the overall total is put to good use :roll:

Out of interest, how much was made at the last auction?

The highest amount a shirt went for last night was £260 i believe, which seemed lower than usual to me. Not sure what the overall total for it was though.

I can't believe the club have skimmed off almost £1500 it's a disgrace. If I'd bought one of the shirts I know I'd be furious about it. However, maybe the prices the shirts went for last night reflect the level of frustration reagrding this. I'm sure the club would have almost covered this amount in additional bids last night if all people who usually bid had been there and bidding.

Sliput

RhiO said:
However, maybe the prices the shirts went for last night reflect the level of frustration reagrding this. I'm sure the club would have almost covered this amount in additional bids last night if all people who usually bid had been there and bidding.
Last year there was an auction and shirts went for a lot lower than they had done in previous years,i think its more to economic reasons.
If people thought that strongly about the Poppy Appeal debarcle they wouldnt have bidded at all.

I hope next year the Devils dont bother with shirts for Rememberance Sunday/ RBL as it just causes bad feelng.

Chris

Administrator
It only causes bad feeling when the club so spectacularly balls up.

The first press release was a joke, and the one that supposedly came from Matt rectifying the situation wasn't much better.

That they've suddenly decided the shirts cost them £60 each is a joke and i'm still not convinced the club ever intended to hand the money over to the RBL at all.

Chris.