Shirt Auction - Where has the Poppy Appeal Money Gone?

TheStub

Re: shirt auction

I don't think I am particularly stupid, and this seems quite explicit.

Our own registered Charity, the Devils Community Foundation, will be holding a jersey auction in the bar following the game, where fans will be able to get their hands on one of these unique jerseys whilst also supporting the DCF in it's great work in the South Wales community with valuable funds.
If that isn't what they meant (and I can guess at a copy and paste error here) then they need to improve their proof reading. I have been criticised in the past for arguing the clubs case - but this has really annoyed me.

If Matt has told Kipper that the money is going to the Poppy Appeal then all is good - and they need to come out and actually put a release up clarifying. The club read this forum, so they will have seen this thread. No harm in a clarification is there?

As for contacting the club, I would have been on the phone if I hadn't seen the article and the thread at 11 o'clock last night. Thanks to Vic for putting the link on Twitter.

More likely to be a hasty and totally necessary back-track rather than a simple typo. Matt Burge may have wanted the money to go to the Poppy Appeal from the start but I doubt he is involved in every promotion and press release. Just hope the misinformation doesn't put people off bidding and raising lots of money for a great cause.

davew

if anyone wants to be sure their money is to go to the poppy appeal if they look at http://www.poppy.org.uk/support-us/give-money they can print out both a donation form and the ALL IMPORTANT gift aid form to ensure the revenue will pay an extra 20% to the appeal.

So my suggestion if you bid and win, pay the club the cost of the shirt and hand the club representative a completed donation form and gift aid form to cover the rest of their winning bid......

Fubar

Kipper said:
I am very happy to confirm that Matt Burge has reiterated his previous assurance given to me when I first raised the question with him, that all proceeds from the Remembrance shirt auction will be going to the Royal British Legion and not to the DCF.

all well and good being given assurances by word of mouth Dave. But an announcement at the game SHOULD be made AND AN APOLOGY that the Devils front page PR was misworded. As a Ex member of HM Forces and Veteran of numerous Campaigns, i would feel nothing but utter contempt towards the organisation if this didnt happen. Don't advertise "Wear a poppy with pride", and expect to make money of the back of it!!!!!!!

RANT OVER!!!

A loyal, but very angry supporter
Arte et Marte

Twinkle said:
Just a quick question.......Did anyone think to contact the club and ask exactly what was going on before coming on here and ranting how ''low'' ''disgusting'' etc.....the Devils management were ? because the press release doesnt make anything clear and if we go by what Kipper has said (and i dont doubt what he says ) it just seems to be the case of a badly worded press release.

I find it fairly disgusting if people didnt and just decided to badmouth people.
Twinkle you obviously haven’t a clue what has gone on behind the scenes here regards the jerseys. There is irrefutable evidence where the money was going which has been known by more than a handful of people for over two weeks now, but their efforts behind the scenes to change the clubs stance have proved fruitless (up until today), but I would like to see an official statement before I personally believe the change of heart. They have had time to alter / clarify the news article on the club website since yesterday so there is no reason for me to believe otherwise yet.

Corkies jersey design was even change by the club to put distance between the club and the Poppy appeal.

Trust me when I say “if the money is now going to the Poppy appeal there has been a 180 degree U turn since yesterday.”

Chris

Administrator

I was going to amend my post on the front page, but until something official comes out i'm not sure I want to.

Hopefully they'll say something tomorrow at the game...

Chris.

http://www.cardiffdevils.com/newsheadline.aspx?cpid=520

Matt Burge statement

Cardiff Devils owner and chairman Matt Burge issues a club statement
Devils club statement from Matt Burge.

To ensure complete clarity I find it necessary to issue a statement regarding the jersey auction being held at the arena following tomorrow night's exciting clash with our close rival the Belfast Giants.

I am proud to have the Devils support this incredibly worthwhile cause. From the moment the idea was brought forward to support the RBL poppy appeal and have a commemorative jersey, the entire management of the Devils and our partners at CH sports have been 100% in their efforts to ensure both the design, production and presentation of our match tomorrow was in keeping with the tone of the occasion.

During our discussions we have looked at several ways to physically and financially support the Poppy appeal, ranging from a simple donation, PR photo opportunities, Shirt off his back, through to the Jersey auction funds themselves. I am delighted to be able to confirm that ALL profits from the jersey auction will be presented to the RBL poppy appeal. Any confusion regarding this is as a result of an internal miscommunication and is in no way indicative of any difference of opinion or alternative desires of any member of the Devils organisation, as has been speculated.

It is a shame that a wonderful gesture, easily cleared up, has caused strong negative emotions amongst some fans - even some call for recriminations - when full support of a worthy charity has always been our desire and our plan. The on and off ice team at the Devils have my full support and thanks for their continued efforts toward the betterment of our great club. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Mike Ackland and Viv Noyle for their continued help and support - they put a huge amount of thought and effort into helping the club and Mike and Paul Sullivan are in constant touch discussing plans and organisation of our jersey programme.

I hope this now means we can focus on the other important issue tomorrow - beating the Giants!

We're looking forward to another great hockey night in Cardiff - we'll see you there.

Matt

Chris

Administrator

Nice to see a statement confirming what Kipper said, pretty big u-turn made though...

Still, it's what some of us wanted to see so it's all good I guess.

Chris.

TheStub

If it was a simple case of issuing a 'clarification' why did it take two days to put up?

Surely it didn't even require a message from Matt - a simple "our press release concerning the Poppy Appeal Jerseys was worded ambiguously, we would like to state that all proceeds from the Jersey Auction and SOHB are going to the Poppy Appeal".

Strangely, he has added to the gravitas of the situation. To be honest, I am ambivalent about weather this is a U turn or a 'clarification'. The money is going to the right place, and that is what counts.

Public handing over of the cheque at the next home game? Nice to see a public display of the Devils fans generosity being recognised.

Doesnt sound like a u-turn to me, just a miscommunication, after all the actions of the club so far it seemed very much out of character. Maybe Burge felt he needed to issue a statement just to clear things up, a good thing if you ask me. Think we should move on from this now.

Derby Devil said:
Twinkle said:
Just a quick question.......Did anyone think to contact the club and ask exactly what was going on before coming on here and ranting how ''low'' ''disgusting'' etc.....the Devils management were ? because the press release doesnt make anything clear and if we go by what Kipper has said (and i dont doubt what he says ) it just seems to be the case of a badly worded press release.

I find it fairly disgusting if people didnt and just decided to badmouth people.
Twinkle you obviously haven’t a clue what has gone on behind the scenes here regards the jerseys. There is irrefutable evidence where the money was going which has been known by more than a handful of people for over two weeks now, but their efforts behind the scenes to change the clubs stance have proved fruitless (up until today), but I would like to see an official statement before I personally believe the change of heart. They have had time to alter / clarify the news article on the club website since yesterday so there is no reason for me to believe otherwise yet.

Corkies jersey design was even change by the club to put distance between the club and the Poppy appeal.

Trust me when I say “if the money is now going to the Poppy appeal there has been a 180 degree U turn since yesterday.”
That seems very "interesting". From all that has been said this definately seems like more than "miscommunication". And I do really hope i'm wrong but seems like DCF would have been getting the profits (which is obviously completely wrong and bang out of order) but once the club saw the strength of feeling surrounding the issue and realised the likely negative publicity - a clear U turn was made. I'm sorry to be negative but of course Matt's statement would say that the money was always going to go to the poppy appeal. The whole issue is making me feel really really uncomfortable and actually quite disapointed with the club - which is quite upsetting!

Well I suppose that at the end of the day - whether it was supposed to happen or only just happened - the right decision has been made and the money is going where it should be going.

TheStub

A line probably should be drawn under this now. The fans loyalty has been preserved, the PR intact and the monies going to the right place.

Hopefully the club will learn from this, be that the importance of proof reading or don't take the fans for granted to make a quick buck.

Personally, Matt's "this is not a U turn" piece makes me think it was a U turn, and what were the internal arguments that didn't happen? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Derby Devil said:
Twinkle you obviously haven’t a clue what has gone on behind the scenes here regards the jerseys.
There ,Derby Devil...you may be wrong. ;)

Well one thing that saddens me , all these people who are disgusted at the club for their original decision will no longer want to go to Devils games :cry:

TheStub

Twinkle said:
Well one thing that saddens me , all these people who are disgusted at the club for their original decision will no longer want to go to Devils games :cry:
That was why this made me so angry. It was a stupid situation to end up in around what should have been a great gesture and show of goodwill.

Now, for whatever reason, they are left looking like they are salvaging something from the situation. I just hope those angered by the original post see the 'clarification'.

New owners ,same old tricks .Thankfully the decent people on here have shamed them into putting the money back into a very worthy cause .

Gazza272

family guy said:
New owners ,same old tricks .Thankfully the decent people on here have shamed them into putting the money back into a very worthy cause .

Why do we as Devils fans always want to cling on to things?

Look this is the first big PR cock up (imo) for all we know the original plan was always to give the Auction money to the poppy appeal from Matts Side (Kipper stressed that a few weeks ago he confirmed to him all monies would go there) And maybe just maybe there was simply a miscommunication.

Was it a terrible press release? Yes.

But This constant thing this fan base seems to have that they wait for someone to make a mistake (albeit a big one given the strength of feeling) to then throw stones 'oh look he's just like the rest'

Accept it for what it is a mistake.

Just playing devils advocate here....

If the club had done hallowe'en shirts, or some other special edition and therefore given nothing to the poppy appeal, would there have been uproar?

There fact that they are now visibly and publicly supporting a fantastic cause, were always intending on giving the money raised to that cause and a very poorly worded statement (have to agree on that one) has meant this issue has arisen; does that not deserve to gain some recognition?

The fact is that the club owner has put a full clear explanation into the public domain, and now people use this as some sort of proof that it is a cover up.

Shame on the club if they do, or intended to keep the money.....but they didn't and they won't.

Shame on the fans who do not accept the clarification and apology which has now been made clear....support your team, wear your poppy, and make sure those shirts go for what not only they deserve, but what the cause it is raising money for deserves.

Is it now time to get behind the current organisation and stop assuming that EVERYONE who runs hockey in this country is corrupt. Things may not be perfect, but are they not a lot better than they were?

D.A.

I'm glad it has been sorted although don't like this passage:

"It is a shame that a wonderful gesture, easily cleared up, has caused strong negative emotions amongst some fans - even some call for recriminations - when full support of a worthy charity has always been our desire and our plan."

How the hell are fans meant to know if the press release is wrong? Are we meant to have said "oh no that cannot be right - we'll ignore that press release from the devils on the devils site"?????? :x