Shirt Auction - Where has the Poppy Appeal Money Gone?

jimmy snels

Re: shirt auction

seriously, and i mean SERIOUSLY, as inferno members and probs the biggest devils followers who art more likely to buy one of these shirts, we should boycott this auction. if you buy one of these shirts shame on you! we all know of people or are family members of fallen hero's and i find it terrible the money from this will go to anything but the poppy appeal. feel free to buy the shirt of his back tickets as this is such a worth while cause but the organisation has over stepped the mark here :oops: :oops: :oops:

Not sure how it could be worded badly? It clearly says that the DCF will host the auction and give them a chance to help in the work we do.

I feel ashamed by the club over this, I really hope someone sees sense and puts this right.

I was going to bid on one, but not now. Problem is....you have lots of people who collect jerseys who will buy regardless (comment not directed at anyone in particular)

I'll just buy more SOHB tickets.

OT: Is it not illegal to use a copyrighted logo without permission? Is the Poppy a copyrighted logo?

Gazza272

bluedevil said:
Not sure how it could be worded badly? It clearly says that the DCF will host the auction and give them a chance to help in the work we do.

I feel ashamed by the club over this, I really hope someone sees sense and puts this right.

My post was meant to be a statement of my displeasure over the idea, there just isnt an emoticon here to really get over the tone in which it was meant :lol:

Sorry Gazza thought you meant there was a misunderstanding with the statememt.

Jimmy's idea is a good one, but not everyone reads The Inferno so might not realise where the money is going...or might not mind and see a chance for a cheaper shirt. Is there a marketing e-mail for the club, maybe we could send our opinions and a link to this thread?

jimmy snels

if u see devils managment on sunday i vote we ask wot the hell is going on with this, surely matt burge wouldnt allow this if he knew?!?!??!

puck

I had heard about this a couple of weeks ago that the money was going to the DCF, rather than the Royal British Legion. I don't believe that it is a badly worded press release, I think it is a shameful way of misleading people. To make money by using a charity in such a way is shocking behaviour. I would be very disappointed indeed if any of my friends bid on a shirt, people should show their dissatisfaction by refusing to bid on the shirts unless they have a guarantee from the club that 100% of the proceeds are going to the Royal British Legion.

As someone above said, it is not an occasion or a public holiday, it is a worthwhile charity that in the current climate particularly needs all the help that it can get.

Make your intentions known to the club by buying tickets for SOHB and refusing to bid at auction and help the charity that way.

Wear your Poppy with Pride.

zoesdevil

why doesnt one of us send an email to someone in the office theres a few of the managements email addresses on the cardiff devils website isn't there?? :?:

Finny said:
Gazza272 said:
We can only hope it's just a badly worded press release!
Me too.
Sorry Finny there’s no defending this one.

I'm surprised its took this long for the story to break, if I was a betting man I would say Kippers comment was a tactful warning shot across the bow which the club has choose to ignore.

Well they have less than 48 hours to have a change of heart or the Devils could end up with egg on their face and names in the news for all the wrong reasons!!

davew

for my two pennies...

A perfect PR opportunity to show the club and our sport in a good light has been stupidly peed down the drain!

I like most believed that 100% vprofit was going to the british legion's appeal, and that is the way it should be.

THE CLUB MUST MAKE AN IMMEDIATE U TURN and THE PERSON WHO CAME UP WITH THIS CON - for that is what it is, using the sentiments and beliefs of people for personal (club) gain - neesd to RESIGN OR BE SACKED with immediate effect.

Even if the RBL were aware of this and let it through, the principles behind the PR/situation are clearly misguided. Principles which many on here clearly feel strongly about. If the club had/have any sense whatsoever they'd keep their faultless reputation so far this season just as it were and scrap the whole idea.

50% of the SOHB money and 100% of the auction money should now go to the RBL as a statement of apology to both the RBL, who do deserve to be the sole beneficiaries of anything poppy appeal related, and the fans they were trying to get to part with their cash. How's about have a mini-collection somewhere else for the DCF as I'm sure people would give generously to that if they were asked to do so?!

Holl_5 don't take this as a dig at you, but the DCF make £100 - £200 a week asking for a parking fee for what is for all intensive purposes a free car park. They also have a sponsorship deal with the RAF careers, what position have they now put that deal in? How can the RAF support a group that is making money off the back of the poppy appeal! What about Primus with their links to the military, how will they feel about this?

So much to loose, very little to gain.

TheStub

Amidst all the recent mistakes and poor decisions the club has made, this has to rank as the stupidest. You could defend some of the other mistakes, but this is just idiocy and should never have left an idle stupid idea stage.

The club need to make a sharp U turn, or someone needs to make the fact that they are profiting from the poppy appeal public.

Gazza272

TheStub said:
The club need to make a sharp U turn, or someone needs to make the fact that they are profiting from the poppy appeal public.

Dont understand this point Stub?

Isnt that what everyone is getting angry about? the fact that the press release says thats whats happening?

Chris

Administrator

I guess Gareth means The Echo or something, unfortunately I suspect we're out of time now for anything to actually happen.

It's going to have to be word of mouth :/

Chris.

Kipper

I am very happy to confirm that Matt Burge has reiterated his previous assurance given to me when I first raised the question with him, that all proceeds from the Remembrance shirt auction will be going to the Royal British Legion and not to the DCF.

Kipper

Chris said:
Is it likely we'll get a press release or something to confirm this Kipper?

Chris.
Haven't got a clue mate.Just going by what Matt told me today. I don't know who does the press releases these days.

Just a quick question.......Did anyone think to contact the club and ask exactly what was going on before coming on here and ranting how ''low'' ''disgusting'' etc.....the Devils management were ? because the press release doesnt make anything clear and if we go by what Kipper has said (and i dont doubt what he says ) it just seems to be the case of a badly worded press release.

I find it fairly disgusting if people didnt and just decided to badmouth people.