SHIRT AUCTION - 31/01/200

However good it is for the club moneywise and i don't begrudge the club anything, i will not buy another Devils game worn jersey as they don't ever hold there value if you ever choose to sell.

Diafol

dave hardman said:
However good it is for the club moneywise and i don't begrudge the club anything, i will not buy another Devils game worn jersey as they don't ever hold there value if you ever choose to sell.
Nothing ever does, unless it's a "Special Edition" like the CC Final for example.
A bit like my vinyl collection really, almost worthless these days (apart from the odd few rarities) and it's just gathering dust in my attic, but I've had a lot of pleasure out of it over the years.

Same as my few gamers, I don't buy them to lock away in the wardrobe, I enjoy wearing them !

rolf

hmmmmm i don't wander about the rink part of the bay with a pocketfull of cash and choose to pay by card as i am a citizen of the 21st century. i also hold a season ticket whereby i am contactable on match nights with my home address and all personal details known by the club. i have won many an auction without problem in the past and have supported the team in numerous ways previously also both financially and otherwise too, yet they wish to keep the jersey in storage until my payment has been rattified. fair enough, but PLEASE do not expect me to feel at all for the poor folk who have to fold it up and tuck it away until such time as i am to have it? come on now, get a grip. when did cash suddenly become king? as for cheques, well most places now won't touch em and what is to stop the devils getting a card reader and processing payment on the night just like anywhere else now???????? admin schmadmin

oh yeah and after i finally chased down my home set set 1 jersey i was promised the certificate would be posted to me and i am still waiting for it.......admin schmadmin

oh yeah and i also won a jersey in the military appreciation night auction but apparently my donation has yet to reach it's mark............admin schmadmin

my missus may be in need of a new job soon, perhaps she could ease the team's admin burden?

call me on 07802 377880 to sort contracts....

Diafol said:
dave hardman said:
Nothing ever does, unless it's a "Special Edition" like the CC Final for example.
quote]

Even then, not everyone pays for their jersey..........unless, that was an admin error too?? :lol:

Any problems with processing the money to the bank this time?

Oh, and how much were the auction costs? Just to make sure the right amount is taken off the total.

Diafol said:
Puh! I've been trying to sell my Garrow CC Final jersey for months with no bites!!! It is listed about £200 lower than what it sold for at auction!!!
:lol:

The Devil said:
Puh! I've been trying to sell my Garrow CC Final jersey for months with no bites!!! It is listed about £200 lower than what it sold for at auction!!!
:lol:
... awaits Harty#6's cries of 'Harrods'!!!!

Hill- £110
Towe- £110

Can everyone please boycott the next auction?! :p

Kipper

DevilDom said:
I wish i'd know there was a shirt auction. I didn't hear it mentioned at the game.
Don't worry, you'll have the opportunity to bid for the fantastic shirts to be worn at Stoney's testimonial match on Tuesday, 23rd February.The auction will be held immediately after the game. The shirts are awesome and I'm sure they will be much in demand.

Devildrums said:
It helps a great deal if winners can pay with cash as it saves a lot of admin hassle for the club.
Sorry Mike that just doesn't wash, they have never had so many people working in the back office as they have now.

phil PLT said:
Devildrums said:
It helps a great deal if winners can pay with cash as it saves a lot of admin hassle for the club.
Sorry Mike that just doesn't wash, they have never had so many people working in the back office as they have now.
Well there's certainly a lot of admin for Viv and myself to take care of at the end of the evening when all the bidders have gone home.

Honestly, I don't know why we bother sometimes. I answered a simple question and get shot down in flames. I'm not a club employee and neither is Viv - we're volunteers and work blasted hard for this club. I'm not having a go at you Phil but the number of moaners on this thread make us wonder whether it's worth devoting the time, care and attention to the club's jersey programme that we do.

To give people some sort of idea - we keep track of all the jerseys to establish which ones are worn by players, issued to players and in some cases are worn by other players (eg when James Manson and Andrew Shurmer iced for us when the team was short on bodies). We have also kept track via game sheets and information gleaned from other sources so that when we prepare the certificates (yes, we do all of that on behalf of the club) they are accurate and actually worth something. We've added extra detail this season - if you've got a Voth, Hill or Jarvis jersey you'll note that we record the presence of the "C" or "A" for example. All those get e-mailed to the club so they can be printed off and signed by G and Shannon - we try to ensure the certificates are ready in time for the auction but occasionally they may not have been signed in time.

We collect and inventory the jerseys and put them all into their correct running order before the night of the auction so that fans know that they will be auctioned numerically by roster number and to minimise any delays in getting the auctions under way.

Once an auction is over there's a lot of information to collate - we need to make two master lists of the jerseys, winners, winning bids, payment method used and whether the jersey has been taken (one list is for the club and we keep the other in case there are any subsequent queries). We have to make sure all the payment forms have been properly filled in and account for all the uncollected jerseys and their corresponding certificates. Then we have to do the cashing up, making sure that the cash and cheques totals tally with what we've taken on the night and then arrange for jerseys, certificates, payment forms etc to be taken to the office.

We face some fans moaning that they want to take their jerseys on the night when they've not paid with cash or a guaranteed cheque - we're volunteers and as such no fan should expect us to release a jersey when it's not paid for. Yes, we know who most of the winners are but it's not right to put us in that position. Don't take it personally - put yourselves in our shoes - if we make an exception for one winner because we know them then that's unfair on others.

Also, it might be worth some fans remembering that this is all done at the end of what is a pretty long match night for us, having arrived at the rink early to set up for shirt off his back. On a busy night it can be pretty exhausting.

We do what we do because we support the team and want to help raise funds to keep the team on the ice. We don't do it for any perceived glory and by and large we enjoy helping with the jersey programme but sometimes I feel it's worth a gentle reminder that we're also fans like anyone else down at the Tent.

Viv and I will be helping to run the auction for Jason Stone's testimonial game - there are two sets of (gorgeous) jerseys for that event and we'll auction them after the game in the bar. We won't be accepting card payments at that auction - it will be cash or cheque only because the proceeds are going to Jason's testimonial fund, not the club. Remember that card payments attract a processing fee and whoever processes that payment ends up with the VAT liability so it is no good asking if the club / CH Sports / Planet Ice can process it. Another reminder will go out nearer the time so please don't say adequate warning wasn't given.

puck

Mike, you miss the point Phil PLT was trying to say (I think). This is the kind of stuff that one or two people used to do in the office. Now there are 7 or so people in the office and they are relying on this stuff being done by volunteers. It's not on really. No one doubts what a loyal servant you are to the club and you and Viv should be rewarded more than you are.

Devildrums said:
phil PLT said:
Devildrums said:
Well there's certainly a lot of admin for Viv and myself to take care of at the end of the evening when all the bidders have gone home.

Honestly, I don't know why we bother sometimes. I answered a simple question and get shot down in flames. I'm not a club employee and neither is Viv - we're volunteers and work blasted hard for this club. I'm not having a go at you Phil but the number of moaners on this thread make us wonder whether it's worth devoting the time, care and attention to the club's jersey programme that we do.
And I’m not having a go at you or Viv because as you know I’m only too well aware of the amount of time and effort that you both put in to Jersey auctions and of course the Shirt off the back. As you can clearly see the point I was picking up on was the admin hassle for the club which to my mind is no different than it has been for several years but with far more employed staff now available to deal with it. My post in no way was referring to the many volunteers that help out on Match nights.

Phil, Puck,

I do get the point and have no argument with you on that; I also know that you're not aiming this at Viv, myself or any other volunteer - this is an instance though of extra admin for the club also meaning that there is extra admin for us. One or two comments from others on this thread have been a little unkind.

I do think the jerseys sold for remarkably low prices on the whole on Sunday evening. I'd be interested to know if fans think going forward we should have one set of home and road jerseys (plus a home shirt off back set) rather than the set 1 and 2 pre and post Christmas jerseys that we have at present. I'm not including any other game jerseys in this (eg. Cup, Speciality jerseys etc) as we only have one set of any of those.

One other point - would fans like to see two sets of warm up jerseys (one set being available to sponsor at a fixed price to be given out to sponsors at Christmas and the other being part of the package of benefits that goes to full player sponsors?

My personal preference would be 1 home and 1 road set on a sponsor grid, priced to reflect the fact that they are worn for the whole season (like we used to have prior to the 2005/06 season). I also think the warm ups should be two sets and the grid set priced to reflect the fact that they are warm ups rather than game jerseys - there's more scope for inventive design with warm ups because of the fact that they are not subject to the same rules as game jerseys.

That would give the club three sets of jerseys on a sponsor grid, one shirt off back set and 1 set of warm ups for player sponsors. The Cup set would be a set to be auctioned at the end of the season and, based on the number of sets used currently (8) we could do up to two speciality jerseys - both would be auctioned - one in the first half of the season and one in the second. That gives the club three sets at auction and the idea would be to space them as evenly as possible.

I'd welcome feedback from the regular jersey buyers on this and others who may not consider themselves to be collectors but would be interested in buying the occasional game worn shirt. I think the club would benefit from looking into the programme and some constructive fan input would help in discussions with the club.

I'd prefer responses to stick to the structure of the programme and not descend into another argument over the Remembrance Sunday jerseys - that's got it's own thread already.

I was very suprised at the price of the jerseys sunday night,I mean a Brad Voth set 1 Road for £160 pounds (if i remeber correctly)man thats cheap you can ask more on the second hand market!
To the points that mike made regarding the warm up jerseys i think is a good idea 2 sets one avalible for sponser one for the player sponsers

I think there are pros and cons to having one set of jerseys, they will be very exclusive people will be falling over themselves to get one therefore paying top wack to own (plus theyl show heavy wear ;) ) they should definatly be auctioned, a raffle draw i dont think would be to clever or is that me being selfish? i collect Gs jerseys and own the set 1 home and road i would never get my hands on the set 1 if they were sponsered as in previous years. People who do collect specific play jerseys would be pretty stuffed.On the other hand its probably a fair way to do it as its an even playing feild.Although having two sets does give people more of a chance to get what they want, sponser the 1 set and auction the set two which will probably make more money for the club,which after all its what its all about,but to a collector makes the jerseys less unique.From a personal point of view i would be happy with 1 set

phil PLT said:
And I’m not having a go at you or Viv because as you know I’m only too well aware of the amount of time and effort that you both put in to Jersey auctions and of course the Shirt off the back. As you can clearly see the point I was picking up on was the admin hassle for the club which to my mind is no different than it has been for several years but with far more employed staff now available to deal with it. My post in no way was referring to the many volunteers that help out on Match nights.
Plus, why are the club relying on volunteers to do the admin work when there is a sizeable office teamin place during the week and they are charging charity auctions admin counts????

Mike - I think everyone knows you love the club and work hard but dont be taken in to doing jobs that others could/should be doing for the wages they are paid.

Devildrums said:
I do think the jerseys sold for remarkably low prices on the whole on Sunday evening. I'd be interested to know if fans think going forward we should have one set of home and road jerseys (plus a home shirt off back set) rather than the set 1 and 2 pre and post Christmas jerseys that we have at present. I'm not including any other game jerseys in this (eg. Cup, Speciality jerseys etc) as we only have one set of any of those.
There are just way too many shirt auctions! The number of comments I hear from Devils fans saying they feel like they are being exploited is unreal. Yes, I know you dont have to bid if you dont want to but some people feel like they have to because they want to support the club (personally they shouldnt if they dont really want to).

There should be one set of home and away jerseys auctioned off per season. Yes if there is a good charity to support then do an extra one but dont milk the fans cash even more by having halloween jerseys, christmas eve jerseys, independence day jerseys, my nan came to visit jerseys etc.

Thats a big reason why prices are dropping. There is little value in a jersey when there are multiple other ones available during a season and (most) people simply cant pay big bucks for 5 or 6 jerseys a season.