Semi Finals challenge cup

Thread starter #1
Just seen this over at Elite league web site

Belfast will entertain Cardiff on Saturday 5th February in Northern Ireland at 7pm (this also doubles up as a league game), and the second leg takes place in Wales on Wednesday 16th February with a 7.30pm face-off

wildthing74

Surely we wont accept a doubled up game having already played Sheffield away the night before?
I know it saves travel costs but it hardly gives us ideal preperation having such a huge game just a day after playing our other main title rivals away?

Gospel

Was odds on to happen really once we got the draw last night. Tough 4 games in the space of a week. Chavs away (30th Jan), Panties home (2nd Feb) Steelers away (4th) then Giants away (5th).

Massive period for us and i hope the boys are up to it.

What the heck? Doubling up a league game totally devalues the competition. Looks like the Panthers have done it too.

The challenge cup has been poorly managed this year... first we have the ridiculous groups just to save on travel costs, and now it seems the league doesn't mind teams cheaping out on the semis as well :lol:

Russky

The 5th Feb game at Belfast was always going to be a tough league game but to assign it also as such an important Cup game is out of order! Its Bad enough to have consecutive away league games on succesive nights but to attach additional significance to the second game is unfair to the Devils! Whilst I am glad the devils have the second leg at home, I fear that the Devils will be at a disadvantage having to play, what is now such an important Cup game, just 24 hrs after, what will be a very tough league game, that is also Live on Sky!

Gazza272

mmm Mixed feelings really. On the one hand I think it gives us an added boost to play well on the Saturday night. We also have home advantage for the second leg.

Not ideal but the best way to answer the problems is to shove the results int he faces of the league.

Finny

Regardless of when we have to play the game - the fact a league game is doubling up as semi-final totally devalues the competition.

It's a joke.

If we are 1-0 down with 2 minutes to go - in the league you will pull the netminder and go for the equaliser.
If it was a cup game though you wouldn't be too worried taking a 1 goal defecit back to the tent for the second leg.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

zoesdevil

Finny said:
Regardless of when we have to play the game - the fact a league game is doubling up as semi-final totally devalues the competition.

It's a joke.

If we are 1-0 down with 2 minutes to go - in the league you will pull the netminder and go for the equaliser.
If it was a cup game though you wouldn't be too worried taking a 1 goal defecit back to the tent for the second leg.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
Absolutely agree!! It's either throw 2 points away in the league to take a 1-0 deficit back or risk getting a point and maybe going 2-0 down to go bak to the tent for 2nd leg!! Ludicrous!!! :x :evil:

DevilDom

I agree with the comments already posted this devalues the competition - puts additionl pressure on us for the league part of the game and we should not accept it. I hope there is no annoucement from the Devils yet precisely because of that.

I've said it before, but if Arena teams can't satisfy their fixtures they should not be allowed to enter the competition or they should forefit their leg of the tie and play it over 1 game at the tent. This doubling up malarky is a joke.

Only other option I could see was playing in Belfast on Sunday 6th but obviously this would have meant 3 away games in a row and an extra game.

Agree with Finny's comments about decision if 1 goal down towards end of game, but kind of glad Devils got one less game in a very congested final couple of months plus home advantage in second leg

TheStub

Very very miffed.

I would hope that the club are looking at this.

Three games in 4 days... Panthers, Steelers and Giants with the last one counting for two competitions is going to be a nightmare for any team.

Finny

DevilDom said:
I've said it before, but if Arena teams can't satisfy their fixtures they should not be allowed to enter the competition or they should forefit their leg of the tie and play it over 1 game at the tent. This doubling up malarky is a joke.
Agreed. Absolutely stupid situation.

hmmmm odd one.

Couple of points though - We don't know it was down to lack of ice time - we've used Dundonald for cup semis before so not sure why not this time.

Could be travel costs for you guys - maybe Ragan is feeling the pinch paying for Sheffield's superstars :lol: ;)

either way both teams agreed to it and guess we have to live with it. :?

wildthing74

No way we will challenge it,the way I see it the club will feel it saves on travel costs and an additional trip.As been said it devalues the competition so was it really worth going through?
The point Finny makes about a 1 goal game is a worry.For me the league has to be more important and I would like to think that if we were a goal down in the last min we would pull Stevie and go for the tie.We would still have a second leg to try and blow em out but it does raise a very valid point and for that reason alone its mad for any team to double up in a Semi or Final.When its just a group game there isn't as much riding on it.

ASHIPP

Finny said:

It's a joke.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
Agree with this. We would have to rely on the 2nd leg home advantage. According to Steeltalk (I don't know how they know this), the decision for the doubled-up games was made by the owners of the relevant clubs rather than the league alone. :? Travelling costs and a packed league schedule having undoubtedly affected this.

The competition deserves seperate games and its special atmosphere. Whilst we'll get that at home, some of the other clubs won't.