Selling tickets, is it right ?

Martynwo

Thread starter #1
With the owners backing our club is it right that we should undercut the club by selling unwanted tickets, especially if the game is not a sell out?

It is unfortunate that fans cannot go and maybe there should be other social media that could be used, but I think the inferno is too close to the club to "undercut" the club.

Sorry for the post and is not aimed at the fans who are selling but maybe the inferno is not the place.

pjj365

I have some sympathy with this post

But
If the game is not a sell out it is not depriving the club of income (accepting that some who might buy on the door may not now do so)
Many people have complained about the pre-season cost so this might help some come along
And getting people along who might not otherwise come will reduce the number of empty seats

So, for pre-season you could almost argue that posting on here is not financially damaging the club too dramatically

I suspect this will not be such an issue come the regular season

Personally I wasn't going tonight with full ticket price as already been to a few pre season games plus other expenses I have this month. However, someone who couldn't go but already brought their ticket sold theirs on here to me for a discounted price. Therefore I decided to come along and was one extra person to cheer the Devils which would have been an empty seat. Devils didn't loose out as I wasn't going until saw the ticket on here and in fact I ended up buying a program/sohb tickets with the money I saved so the devils made some extra dosh.

Electro

Processing fees are capped at different rates and it's how the industry makes money. How a business deals with it depends on how attractive a product it sells, its profit margins etc etc. The IAW has no money, the Devils are likely not prepared to take a loss on it.

It tends to be added to luxury items, such as concerts, sports. The people within these industries have thick skins, they want people who can afford the tickets, the charge and then the merchandise and concession stands. There not likely to admit it publicly, but there target audience is not someone who can only afford the ticket price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimmy snels

Its up to the person. If im away from home but can make a webcast why shouldn't i see my ticket for the price of a webcast to a friend? Im not in a position to gift money here there and everywhere so if i get a casual fan to go based on my 8 quid ticket everyone is a winner, bar sales a hotdog, a look around the shop and long term perhaps they might get hooked and go more.

Koop11

If you sell a ticket to a game you can no longer attend at purchase price when the game is nowhere near a sell out then you are unlikely to sell it. Selling the ticket at a reduced rate offers some return to the person selling it who can no longer attend for whatever reason. Worth noting that the person selling is out of pocket regardless if it sells. Nothing wrong with that at all as they are the owner of the ticket. The person buying has the option to purchase from the club direct if they wish to do so.

As the owner of that ticket, where and how they sell it is completely up to them. The internet is the most accessible way of selling it and a forum related to the club but completely independent of it is the perfect place to sell a ticket. Where else would be more appropriate I would ask. I would also suggest that the person selling the ticket would more than likely have tried and sell it to family and/or friends directly before offering it wider to fellow fans.

Any suggestion that selling a ticket at a reduced price on an independent online forum is somehow inappropriate is oversensitive to say the least. One could argue that such a suggestion may even imply some kind of disloyalty to the club, which it turn could be viewed as ignorant.

Electro

Has anybody checked the Devils terms and conditions, generally tickets need to have the clubs permission to transfer.

It's not unusual for sport clubs to include a clause that states they are issued for your sole use and you shall not sell, assign or transfer or lend the ticket or the benefit of it to any other person without the prior written consent of the Club.

Devil_Abroad

Electro said:
Has anybody checked the Devils terms and conditions, generally tickets need to have the clubs permission to transfer.

It's not unusual for sport clubs to include a clause that states they are issued for your sole use and you shall not sell, assign or transfer or lend the ticket or the benefit of it to any other person without the prior written consent of the Club.

And what happens when you purchase said ticket as a present? Names are not printed on them and so I doubt the company could hold a person liable; how would you enforce that if someone bought 10 tickets for family and friends to celebrate a birthday?

Koop11 said:
If you sell a ticket to a game you can no longer attend at purchase price when the game is nowhere near a sell out then you are unlikely to sell it. Selling the ticket at a reduced rate offers some return to the person selling it who can no longer attend for whatever reason. Worth noting that the person selling is out of pocket regardless if it sells. Nothing wrong with that at all as they are the owner of the ticket. The person buying has the option to purchase from the club direct if they wish to do so.

As the owner of that ticket, where and how they sell it is completely up to them. The internet is the most accessible way of selling it and a forum related to the club but completely independent of it is the perfect place to sell a ticket. Where else would be more appropriate I would ask. I would also suggest that the person selling the ticket would more than likely have tried and sell it to family and/or friends directly before offering it wider to fellow fans.

Any suggestion that selling a ticket at a reduced price on an independent online forum is somehow inappropriate is oversensitive to say the least. One could argue that such a suggestion may even imply some kind of disloyalty to the club, which it turn could be viewed as ignorant.
Nailed it!! What next, objections to selling jerseys because that might stop someone buying a brand new one from the club?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotdog said:
Koop11 said:

Nailed it!! What next, objections to selling jerseys because that might stop someone buying a brand new one from the club?

I think you misunderstand what a "ticket" is. It's not property so you can not hold legal title. It is a "permission to enter" (an invitation of sorts) which can, should the issuer wish, be assigned to an individual and , if so, can not be re-assigned.

Having said that, it's a matter for the Club to enforce or not as it wishes - and it appears it's not too fussed about enforcing its rights. Season tickets are the same but they have, for years, been passed to others for use if the holder can't attend, and no one in the Club has bothered about it.

So, it seems to me, until the Club says "Don't" then no problem. If they do, then they'd have the right to refuse admission to other than the original purchaser.

jayemm said:
Hotdog said:
Koop11 said:

I think you misunderstand what a "ticket" is. It's not property so you can not hold legal title. It is a "permission to enter" (an invitation of sorts) which can, should the issuer wish, be assigned to an individual and , if so, can not be re-assigned.

Having said that, it's a matter for the Club to enforce or not as it wishes - and it appears it's not too fussed about enforcing its rights. Season tickets are the same but they have, for years, been passed to others for use if the holder can't attend, and no one in the Club has bothered about it.

So, it seems to me, until the Club says "Don't" then no problem. If they do, then they'd have the right to refuse admission to other than the original purchaser.
I very much understand what a ticket is and the legalities of it, however no club is ever going to alienate its fan base by being so petty as to object to someone selling a ticket they bought in good faith however decided to sell because they couldn't attend. Bums on seats is better than empty seats which are paid for. It looks better, brings game night revenue, creates better atmosphere, and if someone new got the cheap seat it may encourage them in future to buy full price from the club.