Seasons expectations

Thread starter #1
What are you expectations for the 2011/12 campaign?

Been reading a few other forums and again like last year the fans are not mentioning us for a top 4 finish. Got me thinking about what to expect.

A few weeks ago I would have taken 8th place, with all the doom and gloom I was just happy to watch hockey but recently my I have raised the bar. Looking at the rosters of other teams I seriously think we may have a chance. What's your thoughts?

Just praying that G and Franimal can get the right mix again like last year.

Personally, i think we should be aiming to break the top 3 again. Its pivotal on the last signings, we are rolling a strong D right now, we have a core of forwards that can do the business. Last year i dont think anybody expected us to be finishing joint first... IIRC there were a load of hockey fans saying 'close, but no cigar' top 5 and i believe some had us at 6th.

Ideally: Top 3 finish
Reality: Top 5 finish

Finny

Too early to say with 4 import forwards still to sign.

At the moment though, no other team really stands out yet.

TheStub

Re: Re: Seasons expectations

Finny said:
Too early to say with 4 import forwards still to sign.

At the moment though, no other team really stands out yet.
Exactly. Our Brits lack a lot of experience, in the lower lines anyway - with Sam, Ben and Tim... but there is a lot of talent in there.

It all hangs on the final forwards, and how our young Brits step up?

I think realistically, top 5 although I have hope we will be further up the top 5 !! I think coventry are looking quite strong, will be interesting to see how they do.

Regarding younger brits, i'm expecting a big season from Sam Smith - he did fantasitcally well for his first season and didn't look like a newbie to the league. After the season he had, and winning league accolades such as young player of the year I think his confindence can only grow and am hoping for 50 point season

Gospel

Id like to say were going to challenge again this year but with imports left to sign up its hard to say. As people said already they will be crucial.

Coventry will be very strong this year, Thommo will get them playing well together thats for sure. Sheffield will depend on how Finnerty coachs the team and how he adapts to being player coach as combining the 2 roles is not easy, especially with how he plays the game. Belfast are the unknown as so many signings left to be made. Panties, well, who knows! I think Hull will do a lot better this year than last but i dont hold out much hope for our Celtic cousins sadly.

It should be a very competitive season and really looking forward to it.

Isn't this putting a bit of preasure on G and Franny already even before they have signed all the players they are after,why don't we wait until after the 1st game of the season ;)

The Devil said:
Personally, i think we should be aiming to break the top 3 again. Its pivotal on the last signings, we are rolling a strong D right now, we have a core of forwards that can do the business. Last year i dont think anybody expected us to be finishing joint first... IIRC there were a load of hockey fans saying 'close, but no cigar' top 5 and i believe some had us at 6th.

But you didn't finish joint first, you finished second. ;) ;)

robbo2306 said:
The Devil said:

But you didn't finish joint first, you finished second. ;) ;)
I'm still bitter... ok?! :lol:

DevilDom

Wannabe2 said:
Well i think we will win the league and the Play-offs, no sweat
You forgot the Challenge Cup too! ;)

Seriously, I'm just glad we (a) Have a team and (b) It looks like that team will be at the very least competitive. Everything else is a bonus after this off-season!

wildthing74

Me too.We have made good signings so far and linked with many many top players which considering the stresses of a few weeks ago is an achievment in itself.
I think for me whoever we sign we have to consider that a lot of the top teams are looking stronger so if we can stay in and around the top 5 I will be happy.

i'd like to see a team that hits plays tough hockey and doesnt mind dropping the gloves 4th would be fine with another bash at the playoffs as long as the hockey is entertaining league position isnt that important

ASHIPP

Far too early to start making any predictions - fans whose team have recruited their roster often size up the opposition, even when those teams are incomplete. What's on paper doesn't always translate on the ice. :roll:
Yes, some of our guys are young, but they were last year as well. There is no substitute for the right mix of skill and positive attitude and passion. :twisted: Experience or lack of it can be overcome. If they buy into the systems, we'll have a really competitve team. :cool:

Thankgod we've got a team to enjoy. :D

Thread starter #17
Think we'll finish 3rd to 5th but it's going to be carnage at the tent with Voth, Frank, Max and Adams :D bring it on.

DevilDom

Hynod said:
Think we'll finish 3rd to 5th but it's going to be carnage at the tent with Voth, Frank, Max and Adams :D bring it on.
I think that is a fair assessment. I certainly hope that if we are not the best team we are certainly the toughest and we make every team that comes to our tent know they have been a really hard game.

Whislt a mid table finish may seem a dissapointment from last year we have to remember where a lot of us were only a couple of months ago. i.e. wondering whether we would have a team at all! I think we will be competitive and well capable of beating all the teams in the league. I think only the Giants and Panthers have significantly stronger rosters than us on paper, however a lot will depend on how our young brits perform and how the players perform as a team. We all know that G and Franny are great at building a team and a team ethic in the dressing room so there is every chance we could over perform again. Roll on the new season!

ASHIPP

Purely based on size, stats and experience level, there will probably be big expectations of Belfast to win most things this coming season. The focus will be on them. No pressure there then! :lol:

This will suit the Devils who will be quietly going about their business. :cool:

The title chase was so close last year - the teams could be as close this year although several have had major overhauls and will be unknown quantities.

The Devils have strength, depth, core stability and attitude.... and experience playing together. Would expect they will be one of 4 teams battling it out for a top 3 finish...with a real chance. Historically, they have always finished in the final stages of the Challenge Cup and/or Playoffs. They will be there again this season in at least one of those competitions.

Wannabe2

Hopefully we win the
League
Play-offs
New unbeaten run record
Toughest team in the league
Most penalised team in the league :lol: :lol: :lol: