Season Wrap-up

SteveKing

Thread starter #1
Apologies for the tardiness of getting this out. I obviously wanted to have the news on Brodie out first and I've been on a road a fair bit with work.

Obviously not the season that we had hoped for. Safe to say that there were disappointments in almost every facet of our team at various times of the season. For periods of the season, our offense was very good but our defense and goaltending were too inconsistent. Other times it was the exact opposite. Special teams were not good enough really through the whole piece. All that said, I sometimes do have to take a step back and remind myself that we've set some extremely high standards here and we had some very positive things to build on. With all of the hand wringing of the season, it's interesting to think that there was a total of one team in the NHL that had a higher winning percentage than the Cardiff Devils had this year. Ours should be higher because there is a bigger gap in the standard of teams in our league compared to the NHL but the season certainly wasn't a disaster. Inconsistency is in fact a part of our beloved sport, far more than any other. No team in any league didn't have fans complaining of inconsistency. But having four of the top scorers in the league is something to be proud of and a spirited run at our fourth straight playoff title were high points.

Needless to say, it was a very hard decision to let Brodie and Christian go. Both of them are just amazing human beings and put their heart into their job on our behalf. We also knew full well that there could and would be growing pains with a rookie coach and we were prepared to work through those pains just as we did with Lordo nine years ago. But in our final analysis and based on extensive interviews with all of our players, we felt that there were some things that were just going to be too hard to fix and presented too big of a risk to our club...especially because our expectations and desires for this club are so high.

Moving forward, we have re-doubled our efforts to get back to where we were before Covid. There's no question that the stoppage in our league hurt us the most and we need to find our footing to get back to being the dominant team in the league as we were for the four years leading up to the pandemic. It's not easy. If it was, everyone would do it! But no team is going to outwork us in the offseason. We need talent upgrades in the lineup and in the coaching staff. I firmly believe that the best sports clubs have continuity and stability to go along with a very high standard of care. We need to have a coaching staff that will be a long-term solution. Given our reputation in our league and within the global hockey community, I believe we can attract that kind of staff. We are already talking to potential Devils players and I couldn't be more excited. There are more players out there looking for a winning team to come to than in the last couple of years so I really believe that we're going to have a team that everyone will be exctied about. We still have to work within the salary cap that the league has imposed but we're in good spot to do that and we'll continue to invest in this team with the only goal of bringing home the championship next year.

Thanks all for your support and I look forward to confirming or debunking your signing rumours throughout the summer!

Cheers,

Steve

Kevlar68

I've always had complete faith in Devils Org. just some bad decisions made this season which happens in many teams when trying to re-build.

Wannabe2

Apologies for the tardiness of getting this out. I obviously wanted to have the news on Brodie out first and I've been on a road a fair bit with work.

Obviously not the season that we had hoped for. Safe to say that there were disappointments in almost every facet of our team at various times of the season. For periods of the season, our offense was very good but our defense and goaltending were too inconsistent. Other times it was the exact opposite. Special teams were not good enough really through the whole piece. All that said, I sometimes do have to take a step back and remind myself that we've set some extremely high standards here and we had some very positive things to build on. With all of the hand wringing of the season, it's interesting to think that there was a total of one team in the NHL that had a higher winning percentage than the Cardiff Devils had this year. Ours should be higher because there is a bigger gap in the standard of teams in our league compared to the NHL but the season certainly wasn't a disaster. Inconsistency is in fact a part of our beloved sport, far more than any other. No team in any league didn't have fans complaining of inconsistency. But having four of the top scorers in the league is something to be proud of and a spirited run at our fourth straight playoff title were high points.

Needless to say, it was a very hard decision to let Brodie and Christian go. Both of them are just amazing human beings and put their heart into their job on our behalf. We also knew full well that there could and would be growing pains with a rookie coach and we were prepared to work through those pains just as we did with Lordo nine years ago. But in our final analysis and based on extensive interviews with all of our players, we felt that there were some things that were just going to be too hard to fix and presented too big of a risk to our club...especially because our expectations and desires for this club are so high.

Moving forward, we have re-doubled our efforts to get back to where we were before Covid. There's no question that the stoppage in our league hurt us the most and we need to find our footing to get back to being the dominant team in the league as we were for the four years leading up to the pandemic. It's not easy. If it was, everyone would do it! But no team is going to outwork us in the offseason. We need talent upgrades in the lineup and in the coaching staff. I firmly believe that the best sports clubs have continuity and stability to go along with a very high standard of care. We need to have a coaching staff that will be a long-term solution. Given our reputation in our league and within the global hockey community, I believe we can attract that kind of staff. We are already talking to potential Devils players and I couldn't be more excited. There are more players out there looking for a winning team to come to than in the last couple of years so I really believe that we're going to have a team that everyone will be exctied about. We still have to work within the salary cap that the league has imposed but we're in good spot to do that and we'll continue to invest in this team with the only goal of bringing home the championship next year.

Thanks all for your support and I look forward to confirming or debunking your signing rumours throughout the summer!

Cheers,

Steve
Great post and thank you Steve for your analysis and future plans, most and I mean most of the fans at least those with any common sense, and a few brain cells know that we will learn from last season and that our owners are winners. No team has a god given right to win anything, but knowing yourself and the rest of the guys in our ownership we will most certainly turn this thing around, as been said a thousand times before, this club is in the best hands it has ever been in, and together we all look forward to a better and more entertaining season,with obviously the focus on entertainment. It’s all about hearing good news weekly for our great club now so onwards and upwards. Thanks again Steve 9 other clubs fans in this league would love being kept up to speed by their owners and feeling they are important and crucial to the success we all crave, got a funny feeling come Aug/ Sept it’s going to be a case of HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

doron

thanks for the statement, the fans appreciate what you have done for the club over the years. last season has gone, and some things didn't work out the way we all would have hoped, but we can say the club tried, let the new season begin

E.D.S.

Good post and an honest assessment. Not too far from what has been posted on here at times.

Disappointed to hear we'll be sticking to the salary cap. I was hoping we'd adopt the Giants model and pay for the league.

Rempel16

Good post and an honest assessment. Not too far from what has been posted on here at times.

Disappointed to hear we'll be sticking to the salary cap. I was hoping we'd adopt the Giants model and pay for the league.
I’m the opposite on this. I’m glad that we are going to stick to the morals and respect an agreement in place. It ensures that the ‘lesser’ teams can compete.

If the Giante want to make a mockery of that then so be it. They were outstanding post-Christmas but their achievements are tainted by spending and the volume of changes (Keefe is being lauded but it shows just how badly wrong he got it at the outset).

Sticking to the wage cap is fine with me.

Wannabe2

I am also glad to stick to the wage cap, it’s not about buying the league yes we were guilty of that many moons ago, but time moves on and it’s getting pretty boring in the football world, with a massive gap between the haves and the have nots. 54competitive and entertaining league games should be the target and we live in hope for that, anyway not wishing to wish my life away roll on the new season, with some happy and interesting signings in between.

moggy#9

I understand Mr king not touching on things like the wage cap and general league admin. I would hope that in private however he and Todd would be pushing for massive reform. I doubt there's many on this side of the Irish sea who don't think that Belfast's success isn't massively tarnished. Unfortunately this is exactly how superleague started to go down the toilet, with teams trying to find ways around the rules - including, at the time, the devils iirc.

E.D.S.

It was tongue in cheek. The integrity of the league needs to come first. I don't want to de-rail this thread or the positivity/honesty from Steve.

lloyd_jeff

Ultimately if the league doesn’t enforce this rule, assuming of course it exists, then following it will achieve nothing. It needs to be actively questioned and publicly addressed.

Thanks Steve. Always good to hear your thoughts and of course, are thankful for your ongoing support.
New season can’t come quick enough. Looking forward to seeing what’s in the pipeline!