Sean McMorrow pleaded GUILTY to drug smuggling

Gaz G

Thread starter #1
Sean Mcmorrow

According to hicks twitter he has pleaded guilty to drug charges and faces up to twenty years in prison and a million dollar fine or both.

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — Federal prosecutors say a former professional hockey player has pleaded guilty to smuggling large quantities of marijuana across the border from Canada for distribution in the United States.

U.S. Attorney William Hochul says 29-year-old Sean McMorrow of Toronto pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge David Larimer. McMorrow, who played for the Rochester Americans in the American Hockey League from 2003 through 2006, faces a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison, a fine of $1 million, or both. Sentencing is Jan. 11.

Prosecutors say McMorrow ran the drug operation while he was with the Americans, and that he hid the marijuana in hockey bags inside his sport utility vehicle when he crossed the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls.

Prosecutors say he also hired various people to act as drug couriers.

rocketbob

Quote From McMorrows Facebook:
I HAD TO MAKE A DECISION TODAY THAT WAS VERY COMPLICATED.....THE DECISION WILL MAKE ME LOOK EXTREMELY BAD IN THE BEGINNING...WHAT I ASK IS FOR PEOPLE TO WAIT TILL THE OUTCOME TO MAKE A JUDGEMENT BECAUSE THE OUTCOME WILL PROVE TO BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN HOW BAD IT MAKES ME LOOK NOW........I MADE THE DECISION FOR MANY REASONS AND MY HUMILITY I FACE NOW WILL BE WORTH IT COME JANUARY.....DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ THE REAL TRUTH WILL COME FROM THE RESULTS OF THE OUTCOME.... THE SHERIFF SEAN MCMORROW

I only posted this quote for information. I am neither defending nor attacking Mr McMorrow.

rocketbob said:
I HAD TO MAKE A DECISION TODAY THAT WAS VERY COMPLICATED.....THE DECISION WILL MAKE ME LOOK EXTREMELY BAD IN THE BEGINNING...WHAT I ASK IS FOR PEOPLE TO WAIT TILL THE OUTCOME TO MAKE A JUDGEMENT BECAUSE THE OUTCOME WILL PROVE TO BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN HOW BAD IT MAKES ME LOOK NOW........I MADE THE DECISION FOR MANY REASONS AND MY HUMILITY I FACE NOW WILL BE WORTH IT COME JANUARY.....DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ THE REAL TRUTH WILL COME FROM THE RESULTS OF THE OUTCOME.... THE SHERIFF SEAN MCMORROW
Interesting comment (aside from all the caps)

I wonder what (if?) anything will come out that will put him in a better light.
Pleading guilty to the offence is not a usual route for clearing your name...

drainage

Imagine said:
rocketbob said:
Interesting comment (aside from all the caps)

I wonder what (if?) anything will come out that will put him in a better light.
Pleading guilty to the offence is not a usual route for clearing your name...
Pleading guilty with upto 20 years in prison plus upto £1m fine .... does indeed seem an odd move if he is trying to clear his name.

Not a fan of him as a hockey player - probably because he mostly wasnt ! But its a shame for him, his family and fans.

It's got plea bargain written all over it, he won't go anywhere near a prison. I reckon smallish fine and suspended sentence. He wouldn't have pleaded guilty if he wasn't getting a reasonable deal out of it,would he?

Skippy

mp43 said:
It's got plea bargain written all over it, he won't go anywhere near a prison. I reckon smallish fine and suspended sentence. He wouldn't have pleaded guilty if he wasn't getting a reasonable deal out of it,would he?
Not unless he's really stupid... so maybe ;)

But yeah pleading guilty isn't an option unless you've cut a deal with the prosecution already.

steve

mp43 said:

Err in this country maybe!

If he'd been caught going the other way he'd get more than he will in the US but unless he has a co-accused and is going to claim duress from that person - i.e. Admit physically carrying it, but claim he was forced to - then pleading guilty will mean guilty. I've seen no mention of a co-accused, in fact the story suggests he was paying others. He will get a significant custodial term for this. If he really believes what he says i think he needs a new lawyer!

I can't say i liked Mcmorrow as he was a goon but i don't think he would smuggle drugs, he was very nice of the ice and a really friendly man. :eek:

TheStub

Re: Re: Sean McMorrow pleaded GUILTY to drug smuggling

demsy26 said:
I can't say i liked Mcmorrow as he was a goon but i don't think he would smuggle drugs, he was very nice of the ice and a really friendly man. :eek:
As are most the drug dealers I have known.

It was cannabis, so hardly heroine or cocaine. He may have been moving it for personal use blah blah blah.

But him being a nice guy wouldn't preclude him also liking a toke.

TheStub said:
demsy26 said:

It was cannabis, so hardly heroine or cocaine. He may have been moving it for personal use blah blah blah.

I'm not sure what to make of this comment Stub.

Most drug dealers are nice people?
Cannabis is OK, and McMorrow shouldn't be prosecuted?

Moving 100kg is a hell of a personal habit, involving at least 2 others to act as couriers for the drug and cash puts it more in the supplier / dealing side of things surely?

Just trying to figure out what you think of this is all.
For lack of a confused smiley - :|

TheStub

Re: Re: Re: Sean McMorrow pleaded GUILTY to drug smuggling

Imagine said:
TheStub said:
demsy26 said:

I'm not sure what to make of this comment Stub.

Most drug dealers are nice people?
Cannabis is OK, and McMorrow shouldn't be prosecuted?

Moving 100kg is a hell of a personal habit, involving at least 2 others to act as couriers for the drug and cash puts it more in the supplier / dealing side of things surely?

Just trying to figure out what you think of this is all.
For lack of a confused smiley - :|
I was making the point that him being a nice person does not indicate he is innocent. If criminals looked dark and sinister and made small children cry it would easy to catch them.

Personally I think cannabis should be legal. For the harm it does, if cannabis is illegal so should alcohol and tobacco - both of which do more harm.

I guess my views on drugs laws, their ineffectuality and what we should do about it are more likely to provoke blind vitriol than any sort of debate, so I'll leave it there.

Thanks for clearing it up :)
McMorrow could never be accused of looking sinister on the ice. More like bambi.

Drug laws always provoke 'healthy' debate.
I disagree on the cannabis front but the classifications definitely need reviewing.
It'll never happen though. Imagine the Daily Wail if alcohol was classified as more dangerous then cannabis, cocaine & ecstacy It'd be a meltdown

TheStub

Imagine said:
Thanks for clearing it up :)
McMorrow could never be accused of looking sinister on the ice. More like bambi.

Drug laws always provoke 'healthy' debate.
I disagree on the cannabis front but the classifications definitely need reviewing.
It'll never happen though. Imagine the Daily Wail if alcohol was classified as more dangerous then cannabis, cocaine & ecstacy It'd be a meltdown
Remove the illegality and licence the sale of all drugs. Most problems are due to the illegality. Legal and controlled. Reduce the burden on police and health service.

Tax the hell out of them too. :lol:

Me and the chief of North Wales Police actually agree on that. Yes, I was shocked too.

Yep. legalised, and heavily taxed. Criminal issues solved.
I know a few more chief constables that have similar ideas.

Ah well, that's all for another forum :)

kettdevil1

Imagine said:
Yep. legalised, and heavily taxed. Criminal issues solved.
I know a few more chief constables that have similar ideas.

Ah well, that's all for another forum :)

Hmmm maybe although it has hardly stopped the illicit trade in fags...

Drug smuggling is not against the law is a act ! Act's have to be given consent to be given force of law. I hate the justice system what's wrong with helping a few friends :) look it up people