Scouting.

Hockeymad

Thread starter #1
A few questions I would like to ask on recruitment.

For example the nhl and other major leagues have scouts.

Cardiff devils don't have scouts.

And by that I mean people who go around the leagues watching players.

We simply can't afford it.

So do we actually recruit players by word of mouth?

Eg King said this player would suit us.

Reid thinks this player will be great for our style of play etc etc??

I know we watch players in our league as we play them week in week out,

But how do we actually know Crawford jardine etc etc are our type of player with out watching them?

Just because of the stats?

moggy#9

I think that this is something that has changed a lot over the last 20 years. In the old days I guess it came down to either taking and agent's word (Robert millette anyone?), Knowing the player, or knowing someone who did.

These days, although we don't have a proper scouting network, in a lot of places we'll know people who have seen a guy play a lot (I suspect lordo gives us some good advice for the echl), or there's a seven degrees of separation thing going on where someone knows them. For the more obscure cases there's always elite prospects and YouTube.

I suspect that there are people a lot closer to things than me who could give a better answer though.

kingmo19.1

Don’t think we need scouts at our level - the pool of players we can attract from is vast and a lot of it is word of mouth and previous experience either coaching or playing with. Players do have Agents who will try and pump them into positions but it’s not like the NHL whereby they are actively scouting for the cream of the crop.

matbur

In any professional sports industry, you'll find people talk... a lot!

Everyone is looking for that next opportunity, that better contract, especially at this level where the majority of players are on one-year deals, so (quite rightly) they're looking for security too.

Agents and representatives will share videos, recommendations from other players/coaches, networking overseas with contacts (suspect the owner's are particularly dialled in with this, Andrew Lord etc...).

One thing the Devils are quite open about in their recruitment, is not only do they try to recruit players with the right skillset and financial term, but they also do their homework to bring in players who possess the right character and mentality to help nurture that winning mentality.

I'm sure other teams do this as well, but when you listen to the owners and management, it comes up quite a lot.

Temme

David Rutherford had his own bloody app, merchandise, website - the works.

Scouts aren't needed at this level really - and you'd be surprised at how vast the hockey network is.

Recommendations from former colleagues, friends etc amasses a huge majority of the signings the bigger teams make.

voth26

A few questions I would like to ask on recruitment.

For example the nhl and other major leagues have scouts.

Cardiff devils don't have scouts.

And by that I mean people who go around the leagues watching players.

We simply can't afford it.

So do we actually recruit players by word of mouth?

Eg King said this player would suit us.

Reid thinks this player will be great for our style of play etc etc??

I know we watch players in our league as we play them week in week out,

But how do we actually know Crawford jardine etc etc are our type of player with out watching them?

Just because of the stats?
Sam Jardine played for the devils pre COVID so we know what we're going to get from jards