RYAN Finnerty is 76 days away from hanging up his boots.

Thread starter #1
The Sheffield Steelers player coach today confirmed that this season - his 15th in professional hockey - will be his last on the ice.

Finnerty is 31 - five years younger than his player assistant coach Ashley Tait and four younger than Nottingham Panthers’ defencemen-team-boss Corey Neilson.

But a nagging back problem has put paid to his hopes of continuing playing.

Finnerty, who was Cardiff Devil’s top penalty-minutes taker last year, revealed: “This is my last year, just because of the way I feel it has to be. I have not got much more left in me.

“Every so often one of my (spinal) discs slips out, it did it in the summer. I always try and strengthen the area around it but then it just seems to jar. It can happen any time, it doesn’t matter what I am doing; I could be taking a shower and it goes.

“I get back into place at the chiropractor’s, but a back problem affects skating and balance,” said the Canadian forward, who took over from title-winning player coach Ben Simon at Sheffield last summer.

Finnerty, while frustrated his options are being taken away by fitness issues has one consolation.

“I will be a better coach, 100 per cent, when I stop playing,” he said.

“It will be night and day. It’s different when you are playing, you can only do so much. But when you are on the bench you see everything, that’s why there is no player coach in the NHL and they seem to get it right! I am looking forward to concentrating fully on coaching it is a move in right direction for Sheffield. But I also look forward to finishing this season and seeing what we can do.”

I'm feeling sad yet happy about Ryan's retirement at the end of the season.
Sad because an injury is the reason for his career to end, its never nice but I'm happy because of the person he is. I disliked him as a player anyway but more so since our last game against the Steelers when he was leaving the ice.
Does that make me a bad person?

I hope he does see the end of the season though, I don't want his injury ending it any sooner in all honesty.

DevilDom

Despite his recent antics I have gained a lot of respect for Finnerty over recent years. He is possibly the best player in the league at what he does and it will be a sad loss of someone who is a big character when he retires.

DevilDom said:
Despite his recent antics I have gained a lot of respect for Finnerty over recent years. He is possibly the best player in the league at what he does and it will be a sad loss of someone who is a big character when he retires.
He will still be chirping away on the bench :lol: