Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2024/25

kettdevil1

I'd sooner bring back Lou even with his current injury he's still a better skater/player than Sol
Not disagreeing (although not sure about Lou, I hope he comes back but .....) but Sol has AHL and ECHL pedigree and lots of leadership pedigree. He did a job last year on a pretty poor team so if people wanted someone who would be a deterrent then he must be on the list.... if not him, who?

Personally I would want a (Tyson) Strachan type D man but just intrigued by the reaction

ASHIPP

Sol rumours. .who would he be replacing? Presuming it would be Wilde who wants to explore opportunities in Europe. Sol must have something about him, you don't get called up to the AHL unless you have some skill.

Toughness is undeniable. Folk suggesting the Club should look at better options...it's all about making the money work whilst trying to sign a balanced roster.

hip check

For the past two seasons we've gone down the small and skilful route with some speed thrown in, but I feel the speed part of it could be debated
Toughness I feel has been something that has been lacking despite us probably having more fights than any other team.
Other teams probably quite enjoyed playing us as we realistically didn't have a deterrent/policeman on the ice. Purely as a deterrent and a solid stay at home no nonsense defenceman Sol would be a good fit and probably wouldn't be too much of a strain on the budget. I think maybe that's one thing we missed last season was someone of his ilk.

BostonBart22

For the past two seasons we've gone down the small and skilful route with some speed thrown in, but I feel the speed part of it could be debated
Toughness I feel has been something that has been lacking despite us probably having more fights than any other team.
Other teams probably quite enjoyed playing us as we realistically didn't have a deterrent/policeman on the ice. Purely as a deterrent and a solid stay at home no nonsense defenceman Sol would be a good fit and probably wouldn't be too much of a strain on the budget. I think maybe that's one thing we missed last season was someone of his ilk.
Spot on there, no deterrent whatsoever, to many times we were bullied in our barn, christ yrs ago teams dreaded playing us at our barns, nowadays they k ow they will get an easy ride out ours lately, things must change or we will get bullied once again..

Ger-Devils

Sol rumours. .who would he be replacing? Presuming it would be Wilde who wants to explore opportunities in Europe. Sol must have something about him, you don't get called up to the AHL unless you have some skill.

Toughness is undeniable. Folk suggesting the Club should look at better options...it's all about making the money work whilst trying to sign a balanced roster.
Quite a few points to replace with Wilde gone

Ger-Devils

I'm not at all surprised by his departure. I'm guessing that the thinking is that del2 will put him in the shop window for del and swiss league. Fournier coming in as his direct replacement would make sense.
Translation from the PR.

Enormous speed, strong defensively and offensively, precise, hard shot: Bode Wilde is moving from the Cardiff Devils in Wales to EC Bad Nauheim in the DEL2. The defender is an NHL draft pick by the New York Islanders, who selected the talent in the second round 41st in 2018. In the summer, the North American newcomer, like Zach Kaiser, will receive a German passport.
“With Bode we are getting one of our dream players. I am very pleased that we have a stable two-way defender in our ranks. Despite his young age, he has already played 200 games in several top leagues. He will take on a lot of responsibility in our team,” said head coach Adam Mitchell.
Bode Wilde is 24 years old, 1.91 meters tall and a right-wing shooter. The offensive defender, born in Montreal, has great game intelligence, impresses with his confident puck handling and is expected to play a crucial role in the Red Devils' defense. His last coach in the British Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL) was Peter Russell, who was once with Freiburg, Augsburg and Ravensburg in Germany.
Last season, Wilde initially stood on the ice for HC Banska Bystrica (with ex-devil Andrej Bires) before moving to Cardiff (with former EC cracks Mark Richardson and Jamie Arniel). On the British island, the defender recorded 31 points (seven goals, 24 assists) from 40 games.
“My family is from Germany, so I always wanted to live here, especially because of the great leagues you can play in. “I’m looking forward to getting to know the boys, playing my style of ice hockey and helping the team win in any way I can,” said newcomer Bode Wilde.
During his time in the Canadian junior league OHL (2018/19), he attracted the attention of scouts with an impressive 70 points in 62 games for the Saginaw Spirit. Wilde started his professional career with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the AHL farm team of the New York Islanders. His first European station was called Västerviks IK in Sweden's 2nd league, the “Hockey Allsvenskan”. He was then under contract with the Atlanta Gladiators (ECHL) alongside Cody Sylvester.
“We have worked very intensively over the last few weeks on the successor to Kevin Schmidt and are convinced that we have found a very good solution with Bode Wilde. He fits our team because we will have a North American-influenced team,” says managing director Andreas Ortwein.

The_Stick_

I really don’t want Sol, but I personally don’t understand how some people wanted Pouliot from Dundee but are dead against us taking Sol. Both are the same type of player to me.

moggy#9

Translation from the PR.

Enormous speed, strong defensively and offensively, precise, hard shot: Bode Wilde is moving from the Cardiff Devils in Wales to EC Bad Nauheim in the DEL2. The defender is an NHL draft pick by the New York Islanders, who selected the talent in the second round 41st in 2018. In the summer, the North American newcomer, like Zach Kaiser, will receive a German passport.
“With Bode we are getting one of our dream players. I am very pleased that we have a stable two-way defender in our ranks. Despite his young age, he has already played 200 games in several top leagues. He will take on a lot of responsibility in our team,” said head coach Adam Mitchell.
Bode Wilde is 24 years old, 1.91 meters tall and a right-wing shooter. The offensive defender, born in Montreal, has great game intelligence, impresses with his confident puck handling and is expected to play a crucial role in the Red Devils' defense. His last coach in the British Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL) was Peter Russell, who was once with Freiburg, Augsburg and Ravensburg in Germany.
Last season, Wilde initially stood on the ice for HC Banska Bystrica (with ex-devil Andrej Bires) before moving to Cardiff (with former EC cracks Mark Richardson and Jamie Arniel). On the British island, the defender recorded 31 points (seven goals, 24 assists) from 40 games.
“My family is from Germany, so I always wanted to live here, especially because of the great leagues you can play in. “I’m looking forward to getting to know the boys, playing my style of ice hockey and helping the team win in any way I can,” said newcomer Bode Wilde.
During his time in the Canadian junior league OHL (2018/19), he attracted the attention of scouts with an impressive 70 points in 62 games for the Saginaw Spirit. Wilde started his professional career with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the AHL farm team of the New York Islanders. His first European station was called Västerviks IK in Sweden's 2nd league, the “Hockey Allsvenskan”. He was then under contract with the Atlanta Gladiators (ECHL) alongside Cody Sylvester.
“We have worked very intensively over the last few weeks on the successor to Kevin Schmidt and are convinced that we have found a very good solution with Bode Wilde. He fits our team because we will have a North American-influenced team,” says managing director Andreas Ortwein.
That's interesting, I had no idea that he had connections in Germany.

kettdevil1

I really don’t want Sol, but I personally don’t understand how some people wanted Pouliot from Dundee but are dead against us taking Sol. Both are the same type of player to me.
Well exactly..... Pouliot is basically Sol without the AHL/Extensive ECHL/Leadership pedigree....

Not totally sure where the Sol rumour came from but I still think it is unlikely to happen

Last edited:

Diablo3

I wouldn't say no to Sol, he was ok defensively and a good deterrent. to be fair he is exactly what others on this forum have been asking for, a big stay at home D who will make sure we are no pushovers.

Ocko

I don’t get the dislike for Sol. We seem to always dislike the tough players from other team and never able to appreciate what they can offer.

The single biggest gripe from people on here was our lack of toughness. Sol fixes that problem straight away - he’s as tough as we’ll see in this league now. And, he is a proper enforcer, he doesn’t take any shit. Watch his beat down of the Steelers player earlier this year to see him sticking up for his teammates.

Also on the plus side; takes very low penalty minutes for a heavyweight, his stats are decent (slightly better than Louis despite being on a crap team) and he has AHL experience. Defensively he is sound and would also give us a stay at home D man to pair with an offensive D.

Glasgow at times last season defensively were atrocious...and Sol in some games against us stood out as a defensive liability. I'd be very surprised and disappointed if we recruited him.

I also think people are over stating the toughness in the league last season....with the exception of Allen and possibly Pouliot of Dundee I can't think of a menacing presence from any other team....was hardly ISL era with Schultz etc. And I hardly think we were bullied in our own barn...outworked and the smaller lines outmuscled in the corners and on the boards frequently I'd grant you that.

Have Hope#35

Spot on there, no deterrent whatsoever, to many times we were bullied in our barn, christ yrs ago teams dreaded playing us at our barns, nowadays they k ow they will get an easy ride out ours lately, things must change or we will get bullied once again..
But no team dreads playing any other team anymore! It's just the way the League and hockey generally is going in terms of physicality these days. Dundee offered some additional physicality last season but not like we feared them with 8 Wins from 8... I know which direction I'd prefer to go in.

bb1

I don’t get the dislike for Sol. We seem to always dislike the tough players from other team and never able to appreciate what they can offer.

The single biggest gripe from people on here was our lack of toughness. Sol fixes that problem straight away - he’s as tough as we’ll see in this league now. And, he is a proper enforcer, he doesn’t take any shit. Watch his beat down of the Steelers player earlier this year to see him sticking up for his teammates.

Also on the plus side; takes very low penalty minutes for a heavyweight, his stats are decent (slightly better than Louis despite being on a crap team) and he has AHL experience. Defensively he is sound and would also give us a stay at home D man to pair with an offensive D.
The thing is we have gone from D men like Tyson Marsh, Hendrix, Hotham, Strachan and Morrisson who were all very tough and good D men.

Sol isn't good enough imo to lace any of the aboves skates. He really isnt what we need esp when you look at some of the quality D men in the league like Tansey and Friend

Ocko

The thing is we have gone from D men like Tyson Marsh, Hendrix, Hotham, Strachan and Morrisson who were all very tough and good D men.

Sol isn't good enough imo to lace any of the aboves skates. He really isnt what we need esp when you look at some of the quality D men in the league like Tansey and Friend
I would argue he is as good as Hendrikx. Their stats are almost identical with Sol spending more time in the AHL.

It’s an unfair comparison to the others you make. Sol would be our 5th/6th D man, the ones you’ve mentioned were either the number 1 D man, or top shut down D man. A fairer comparison would be Mark Louis, who played in all of those players’ teams. Take away the sentiment and he more than measures up to Louis and Hendrikx. The league is also many steps back on what it was a few years ago.

Devils86

I certainly don't claim to know a lot about hockey, but I judge what I see with my own eyes. The Cody Sol I've seen in the 6/7 games he has played at IAW is not someone who either instills a confidence of his defensive abilities, or an air of intimidation....

More like a donkey who mouths off and plays the pantomime villain away from home.

The bloke could be a former NHL-er but the 2024 Sol who turns up in purple is not worth a second look.