Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2024/25

jenks33

Looks like Glasgow, Sheffield and Guildford are interested in Waller then. Even if we do sign Betteridge and Perlini I’m not sure allowing Waller to leave will be the most sensible decision. I agree with a few other posters who have questioned Waller’s end product but I still think he’s one of the brighter prospects in the EIHL and his end product will come. We’re not talking about a 29/30 year old here he’s still only 24.

GAVIN

Looks like Glasgow, Sheffield and Guildford are interested in Waller then. Even if we do sign Betteridge and Perlini I’m not sure allowing Waller to leave will be the most sensible decision. I agree with a few other posters who have questioned Waller’s end product but I still think he’s one of the brighter prospects in the EIHL and his end product will come. We’re not talking about a 29/30 year old here he’s still only 24.
He needs to be playing on a better line and plying more often to show what he capable of... is PR going to give him that.... I not sure

BostonBart22

Looks like he's been told he's not wanted, especially talking to 3 clubs if true, maybe an offer he can't refuse from those clubs which we can't match or we won't offer more . Same situ with register I believe..

ASHIPP

The Devils do need to rebuild to address any weaknesses they have identified. Can't do a lot if other clubs are offering bigger responsibilities and salary to these players. Our Owners have always maintained our Club won't get involved in bidding 'wars' and rightly so.

One main concern is the British player issue. The pool of experienced or developing potential players is a small one. Hopefully this issue is a top priority for our Club...'win now' is all well and good but it would be reassuring to see a succession plan for when our older British players retire or their performance trails off.

Last edited:

osh

The Devils do need to rebuild to address any weaknesses they have identified. Can't do a lot if other clubs are offering bigger responsibilities and salary to these players. Our Owners have always maintained our Club won't get involved in bidding 'wars' and rightly so.
One main concern is the British player issue. The pool of experienced or developing potential players is a small one. Hopefully this issue is a top priority for our Club...'win now' is all well and good but it would be reassuring to see a succession plan for when our older British players retire or their performance trails off.
you raise a very important point about British players. Let’s face it, the quota is what, 4 or 5 Brits for each team. We just don’t have 50 Brits that have the quality to play regularly in the EIHL, therefore probably 20 of them who will be allocated to teams will spend most of the time sat on the bench when it would be more beneficial for them to be gaining ice time in a lower league. We need to hang on to the Brits we have but in doing so they must be given decent ice time to make the necessary progress. Any Brits that leave us for other teams is a huge problem as I just don’t see who is out there who would join us.

doron

only when we get more rinks, more people playing the sport, and possibly a UK ice hockey academy school, will things change, why we don't have a league sponsor is beyond me, especially when attendance to games goes up each year and is now the highest its ever been.
on a positive note. the media content of clubs has improved a lot this season. and with GB games coming up, there is a possibility of more growth in the sport.

moggy#9

you raise a very important point about British players. Let’s face it, the quota is what, 4 or 5 Brits for each team. We just don’t have 50 Brits that have the quality to play regularly in the EIHL, therefore probably 20 of them who will be allocated to teams will spend most of the time sat on the bench when it would be more beneficial for them to be gaining ice time in a lower league. We need to hang on to the Brits we have but in doing so they must be given decent ice time to make the necessary progress. Any Brits that leave us for other teams is a huge problem as I just don’t see who is out there who would join us.
I don't think that any of our Brits would be shown the door unless there were a plan to upgrade them.

The biggest problem to the development of players is the lack of proper development pathway . I've commented several times about the way two way contracts are structured, but it goes further than that. There needs to be closer links between junior clubs and the eihl.

Last edited: