Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2024/25

moggy#9

If Perlini and Betteridge are coming here as that rumour accounts suggests then we must be getting some big changes in our brit pack this year.
Especially as we were effectively carrying a spare.
Duggan and batch would be obvious casualties, but also possibly Waller.

moggy#9

A first line of perlini centering kuffner and halmo sounds very interesting. I could see him taking batch's Brit spot with us then having another import defenceman. Betteridge taking Waller's place and harewood coming in for duggan.

If the rumours were true I'm not sure where we'd fit both Crandall and Martin into the line up.

The_Stick_

A first line of perlini centering kuffner and halmo sounds very interesting. I could see him taking batch's Brit spot with us then having another import defenceman. Betteridge taking Waller's place and harewood coming in for duggan.

If the rumours were true I'm not sure where we'd fit both Crandall and Martin into the line up.
I think we will keep Batch. It’s very handy having 6 Brits

kingmo19.1

Have always said that our Brit forward pack is weaker v Sheffield and Belfast (the ones we have to beat to win the league!).

We’ve never had a Dowd or Conway who can match their top line imports on a point basis.

Gosh, I think our last top end consistent Brit would have been Ian Cooper or Chinny!

moggy#9

Have always said that our Brit forward pack is weaker v Sheffield and Belfast (the ones we have to beat to win the league!).

We’ve never had a Dowd or Conway who can match their top line imports on a point basis.

Gosh, I think our last top end consistent Brit would have been Ian Cooper or Chinny!
I suspect it was hoped that Waller would develop into that, but he seems to have stalled. Looking at Waller now, I think that harewood (although a few years behind) has more potential upside.

BostonBart22

Waller may have had an offer he couldn't refuse and devils couldn't match it, can't blame him in the slightest and good luck to him ...clan making some good upgrades already so far ..

Have Hope#35

I think Waller offers us more if he's used Top 6, the potential is certainly there but he's moved up and down the line-up too much... This is likely why he'd consider moving on (hope he doesn't)! He's not a gritty 4th liner... I think this is what kills young Brits with potential - look at Kieran Brown for example, he's ripping it up in the NIHL for Leeds but if an Elite League Team gives him a chance it's likely on the 4th line which doesn't suit his skill set.

Last edited:

moggy#9

Waller may have had an offer he couldn't refuse and devils couldn't match it, can't blame him in the slightest and good luck to him ...clan making some good upgrades already so far ..
Two of clans main weaknesses were a poor Brit pack and a coach who was inexperienced in the British game. They seem to be resolving both of those issues.

moggy#9

I think Waller offers us more if he's used Top 6, the potential is certainly there but he's moved up and down the line-up too much... This is likely why he'd consider moving on (hope he doesn't)! He's not a gritty 4th liner... I think this is what kills young Brits with potential - look at Kieran Brown for example, he's ripping it up in the NIHL for Leeds but if an Elite League Team gives him a chance it's like on the 4th line which doesn't suit his skill set.
I think this is the problem. He's just not shown enough dimensions to his game to be top 6. He gets too easily shut down.

Finny

I’ve been a huge Waller fan these past three seasons and felt we lacked his pace and directness when injured.

But, even I have to admit that he needs a season or two of constant top 6 hockey to show if he can elevate himself to the next level and become a 25+ goal a season player or not. And for a team that wants to be challenging for a league title I’m not sure we can risk offering him that yet.

It might well be that a move away to someone like Glasgow is what he needs. And if we are replacing him with the finished product in Perlini well that’s great for both parties.