Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2022/23

Swarley

We signed a player on a two way contract from bristol

Massive news haha
The bit that left me feeling deflated about this was this part.

Describing his game, Ed said “I am an offensive minded D-man that likes to jump up into the play. I wouldn’t say I’m overly physical or the fastest skater around

Even on a 2 way that sounds like a downgrade

Devil94

Describing his game, Ed said “I am an offensive minded D-man that likes to jump up into the play. I wouldn’t say I’m overly physical or the fastest skater around

A downgrade on who? He's not replacing anybody, we didn't have a d man on a 2 way last year, and he won't be a top 6 d man. He might play pre season but I don't think we'll see much of him after that, for a few years anyway.

Swarley

A downgrade on who? He's not replacing anybody, we didn't have a d man on a 2 way last year, and he won't be a top 6 d man. He might play pre season but I don't think we'll see much of him after that, for a few years anyway.
2 way wise Haywood was physical when he needed and seemed to have a lot of speed under him.

Roll on the full time signings though as I'm getting itchy about who's coming back and who isn't lol

moggy#9

I imagine that one of the first things the devils would do is get him on a power skating programme. The value of good vision of hours plays develop shouldn't be underestimated.

The_Stick_

2 way wise Haywood was physical when he needed and seemed to have a lot of speed under him.

Roll on the full time signings though as I'm getting itchy about who's coming back and who isn't lol
But nothing in the announcement implies that Harewood won’t be coming back?

Devil94

I don't think this signing itself will affect whether Harewood is back in some capacity.
What might though is whether our two ways are exclusive to Bristol. Will Harewood have to sign for Bristol to come back to us? He impressed in his outings last year, but I heard he has some growing up to do off the ice to do first. I wouldn't have him replace one of our current Brits, but if the extra Brit spot this year is not taken by Bowns or Myers then he certainly is an option.

kettdevil1

Interesting reaction to this signing. For what it's worth, I disagree with the downbeat assessment and am looking forward to seeing him in a Devils shirt. He was always a standout whenever I have seen him either for club or GB. Really pleased we are snapping up young talent, especially one that can grow with Bristol.

GB defenceman playing for the Devils, not the most physical, not the quickest skater but positionally superb and brave as they come..... who does that remind you of? :)

jenks33

Aren’t we allowed to sign up to 3 two-way players? So for all we know Bradley might be the 2nd or 3rd most promising two-way player we sign. He’s very unlikely to see much ice time at all over the season. Not sure we need to get too excited or be too negative about this one.

The_Stick_

Aren’t we allowed to sign up to 3 two-way players? So for all we know Bradley might be the 2nd or 3rd most promising two-way player we sign. He’s very unlikely to see much ice time at all over the season. Not sure we need to get too excited or be too negative about this one.
For this season I agree, but he’s definitely one to be excited about for the future

Gazr76

As part of the corporate package the Devils likely pay Greenbank a % of Alcohol consumption and recoup it through the package cost, it’s never a free bar & if done correctly the Devils should be still gaining revenue. You’d always factor how much an individual would likely consume in an evening, although seeing some of those individuals the Devils may need to increase their estimation.
This is bound to be accurate. Its probably the main reason why the price of a pint (for example) is slightly higher than the average cost if a pint in a bar in or around Cardiff. The profit on the alcohol has to be shared between the two parties.

moggy#9

I don't think this signing itself will affect whether Harewood is back in some capacity.
What might though is whether our two ways are exclusive to Bristol. Will Harewood have to sign for Bristol to come back to us? He impressed in his outings last year, but I heard he has some growing up to do off the ice to do first. I wouldn't have him replace one of our current Brits, but if the extra Brit spot this year is not taken by Bowns or Myers then he certainly is an option.
Bear in mind that Bristol played at a lower level last season, do harewood going there wasn't really an option. Him moving to Bristol to benefit his two way seems like an obvious option.

Mazzoak

I don’t think any 2 way players are going to set the EIHL on fire in their first season, it does give us options though, so it’s all good. Investing in British talent and growing a potential farm for the future is something we should’ve been doing yrs ago, now it’s happening so let’s get behind these guys and give them support and confidence.

Slartibartfast

Two ways signings are never going to get the fans over excited (like the brilliant Coughler news) but its a good thing for long term player development and having a deal with Bristol who are just across the bridge makes sense. I heard yesterday while at the Bristol rink that the Pitbulls are going into the NIHL National Division which I believe is equivalent of the old EPL. (They are currently in NIHL1). If thats true he will be playing at a reasonable level.