Rule Clarification

Thread starter #1
On the EIHL website there is an article that says:

During Game 247, Belfast Giants vs. Cardiff Devils on Sunday 19 March, a video review was initiated by the officials for a high stick in the lead up to a goal during the first period.
To clarify: In Elite League regular season games, a video review cannot be initiated for a missed game stoppage in the lead up to a goal. These plays are only reviewable in the Challenge Cup Final, and at the Playoff Finals Weekend. At these events, such reviews can only be initiated by a Coach’s Challenge and not by the game officials.

Can someone explain if this means the stripes were wrong to use the Belfast Laptop to make their decision in disallowing the goal?

Ejercito Rojas

Aah, the Belfast laptop!
Rule 412b clearly states the Belfast laptop operator‘s decision is final!
On a more serious note it seems the refs didn’t know the criteria for a reviewable incident!
“The EIHL, making it up as they go along since 2003”

In which case we won in regulation - I expect Belfast will be stripped of their OT point any second now ;)

And hey, it means the GWG Keefe and Besko didn't like is meaningless. It's a win-win when you think about it!

Last edited:

BostonBart22

On the same game I take it the eihl will give keefe a reprimand or a fine for his outburst in full view of world audiences, eihl must act or they will be known as a beer lge and anything goes , or was it a gentleman agreement before the season it's OK to have a meltdown in front of kids as well

tim78

I'm sure in the past, games have continued and later on in the game a goal awarded that was missed and the game clock was reset back to that goal....

If that was the case would you take the OT win or go back to that moment and be awarded a goal.

Earnie

Seemingly a high sticks call was missed prior to the goal. It was thus too late for the officials to call a video review.

Diablo3

The stripes were wrong on all counts with that play. Yes it was a high stick, but the play was waved off by the ref, so for us to pass the puck out front and score was legit. Then they reviewed when they were not allowed to and even then got it wrong. The goal should have stood.

lloyd_jeff

Wouldn’t the rule simply state there’s no video reviews allowed after a goal has been scored if an official has waved off an infringement.

Finny

Would be interesting if Belfast won the league, but were level on points with Guilford!
Like they did with us in 2018/19?

Having gained an extra point with Laptopgate where the referees awarded Belfast the game winning goal from an angle that shouldn't have been used.

Belfast sure are lucky aren't they. Especially as I was expecting a DOPS announcement on Keefe by today?

moggy#9

Like they did with us in 2018/19?

Having gained an extra point with Laptopgate where the referees awarded Belfast the game winning goal from an angle that shouldn't have been used.

Belfast sure are lucky aren't they. Especially as I was expecting a DOPS announcement on Keefe by today?
Hmm, lucky probably isn't the word I'd use.

Thread starter #14
The stripes were wrong on all counts with that play. Yes it was a high stick, but the play was waved off by the ref, so for us to pass the puck out front and score was legit. Then they reviewed when they were not allowed to and even then got it wrong. The goal should have stood.
Thanks Diablo...a straight answer and as I thought.

So the league have recognised the stripes made an error. No apology to the Devils, and no action against the stripes. Not even 100 lines "I must learn the rules". :mad:

If I don't do my job correctly there are consequences....but it seems not in this role. Do wonder how the league / Mr Hicks expects to make the league better if this is an acceptable level of officiating.