Rory Herman

Welshy74

Thread starter #1
Anyone think we could give him a go next season and not warming the bench like last time? 119 points in 53 games for MK so far this season

The_Stick_

Grant cooper had very similar numbers in the NIHL and he was a great 3rd line guy for Belfast last season. I’d be more than happy to give Rory a go

moggy#9

Firstly I think that we need forget this idea that good in the national League means someone can necessarily do a job in the elite league. The gulf in quality is simply too big.

Secondly, when I think of the ways in which the current devils team needs to improve, I just don't see him filling any of those.

kettdevil1

I’d ask myself would Sheffield sign him.
If the answer is no then it’s a no from me
We need to be competing with them and upgrading is the way forward, unfortunately Rory doesn’t do that
That's my approach and I came to the same conclusion. He definitely has speed and skill but I am not sure he would either fit into the team approach PR has or whether his defensive awareness is as good as some. Might well be worth a punt for other teams and delighted he has done so well for MK but I don't think he would be the greatest signing for us sadly.

I get were people are coming from but if we don`t give these players a chance and see what they can do, we wont have a GB side. We don`t seem to give players a crack, look at Kelly last season and how well he is doing now. Harewood i am surprised he not signed elsewhere.

kettdevil1

I get were people are coming from but if we don`t give these players a chance and see what they can do, we wont have a GB side. We don`t seem to give players a crack, look at Kelly last season and how well he is doing now. Harewood i am surprised he not signed elsewhere.
The point is a good one but unless I am mistaken Rory is not qualified for GB?

kingmo19.1

If he qualifies as a Brit, it’s a no brainer for me, get him in. Although I like Duggan, I feel he’s not really kicked on in the last 3-4 years and we could do a bit better. He’d be better going to Fife/Dundee and getting more regular ice time.

kettdevil1

If he qualifies as a Brit, it’s a no brainer for me, get him in. Although I like Duggan, I feel he’s not really kicked on in the last 3-4 years and we could do a bit better. He’d be better going to Fife/Dundee and getting more regular ice time.
He doesn't qualify as a Brit in the EIHL as he did not do the required number of years in junior hockey.

The_Stick_

The way I look at it..

If we follow the “would Sheffield/Belfast of signed them” mantra
we most certainly wouldn’t have found Brandt. If we were to bring Rory in, he’d start on the 4th line. He would be more effective than Chad imo

Pembo

I think pool of viable non import home grown players is pretty small. The few in the NIHL wrecking shop like Kieran Brown seem happy to be a big fish in a small pond. There has also been a trend in recent years for players who can perform in EIHL to drop to NIHL for lifestyle/second job purposes like Venus or Ferrera. Chance to have less intense schedule, second income, score multiple points per game vs 4th line hockey and fairly low income. Team GB will be OK as can usually scrape together some imports who’ve been in the league a while. Richie and Davies when they go will leave big holes for the Devils. Almost have to aggressively recruit league proven players like Lewis Hook with this in mind.

kingmo19.1

I think pool of viable non import home grown players is pretty small. The few in the NIHL wrecking shop like Kieran Brown seem happy to be a big fish in a small pond. There has also been a trend in recent years for players who can perform in EIHL to drop to NIHL for lifestyle/second job purposes like Venus or Ferrera. Chance to have less intense schedule, second income, score multiple points per game vs 4th line hockey and fairly low income. Team GB will be OK as can usually scrape together some imports who’ve been in the league a while. Richie and Davies when they go will leave big holes for the Devils. Almost have to aggressively recruit league proven players like Lewis Hook with this in mind.
I fear for GB. I think we’ll be ok for the next year or so then sooooo many players will retire who have served us well I worry where the next group will come from.

The majority of the current GB team cut their teeth in the EIHL when the import quota was far lower. These days with it being 15 and teams like Fife and Manchester reducing their Brit exposure it’s worrying (Take a look at the Fife team sheet, they dress a Brit or two but they never play, they are solely an import team).

IMHO, to keep GB strong it would need 2 things to happen:-

1. EIHL import reduction from 15 to 12 or 13 with squads having to name 7 Brits on a match night. These Brits would come from the top players in NIHL which would obviously mean an increased wage.

2. To lift the standard in the NIHL with it losing some of its best Brits, raise the import level up-to 5 or 6 (thus replacing the Brits lost to the EIHL) so the standard remains high but also exposes our remaining Brits to a higher level of hockey.

I guess this all depends on your viewpoint. If you love the EIHL and couldn’t care about GB then why change what we have.

If you care equally or have a bias to seeing GB do well then something will have to change before we see a few relegations.

ASHIPP

What's the harm in re-recruiting him now he has had much more experience at NIHL level whether or not he qualifies as a Brit. Didn't Steelers sign a Canadian from that league a couple of seasons ago? Too many opportunities missed with young skilled players from that league....Devils lost their opportunity with Reece Kelly, what is happening with Bayley Harewood?

In the next handful of years our Club is going to face a dilemma with aging/retiring British players. No doubt they are already on the case monitoring successors to Ritchie, Batch, Davies. But these players have to be identified, contracted and bedded in. This is not North America....in a much smaller pool of developing British players, how many really have potential?

Pembo

Re: Harewood, have been slightly surprised we haven’t tried him on a midweek game. The Dundee one recently would have been perfect. Low stakes and not going to clash with Pitbulls. Put him on 3rd line and see what he can do?

kettdevil1

Re: Harewood, have been slightly surprised we haven’t tried him on a midweek game. The Dundee one recently would have been perfect. Low stakes and not going to clash with Pitbulls. Put him on 3rd line and see what he can do?
Agree.

He did seem much better early in the season in terms of concentration and positional sense. even his defensive game looked to have improved a bit so.... it did seem strange we didn't see where he stood.

Big decision at the end of the year I suspect. I can't imagine he would be happy with another two-way contract but would we really want to sign him full time (presuming it would be in place of Duggan or Davies) based on what we have seen so far?

Genuinely in two minds.