romfo

Thread starter #1
currently at the giants game, and not for the first time this season have i heard romfo's name and now it's time to say something as i dnt think many have, how bad does he have to be b4 something is done, constantly out of position and gives away so many turnovers, has been solely responsible for a few goals this season already, what is going on?

MaD23

I purposefully watched Romfo tonight because of some of the mutterings i've heard. He played far better tonight than of late in my opinion. He got sheds more ice time than normal, which to me indicates a bit more faith from the coaching staff. He seemed far more assured on the puck and his decision making was much improved. Going off the hockey database, it looks like he's just had a bit of a crap start, taking far more penalties than usual in similar or better leagues. Maybe now he'll move into a bit of form.

In essence calling any player what amounts to being hopeless is not constructive and sometimes a few little tweaks in how they play makes all the difference.

Snifferdog said:
While we are on the subject is G good enough to be taking a import slot
who made the play tonight that tied the game?
G aint the fittest or the quickest but he leads by example and plays tough physical hockey he's tailor made for the third line!

TheStub

Lots of the time I don't notice Romfo - which is a good thing for a D IMHO. He has impressed me in more games than he has stood out for other reasons.

Perhaps I should spend more time watching him ice - but no major complaints from me at the moment.

He, and everyone else, need to improve passing, positioning and set plays though!

Snifferdog said:
I might get flamed for this, but we could do better, but he gets the job done and lets be fair we are on 19 points in the table so something must be working ;) And he is the coach :)

Finny

Snifferdog said:
I thought G was one of our best players tonight. When we needed someone so get stuck in and lead by example he was the player who did it.

to me romfo seems a lot like heartwick, lots critisize him for how he plays but most of the time they both get the job done and loads of what they do gose un-noticed and its not untill they make a mistake they get noticed, imho i wouldnt want to get rid of ether of them, at the end of the day they do thier job and we'r winning, like an old saying gose, 'if its not broke then dont try and fix it'

drummer-ricky said:
to me romfo seems a lot like heartwick, lots critisize him for how he plays but most of the time they both get the job done and loads of what they do gose un-noticed and its not untill they make a mistake they get noticed, imho i wouldnt want to get rid of ether of them, at the end of the day they do thier job and we'r winning, like an old saying gose, 'if its not broke then dont try and fix it'
I've gotta say, I think the last few weeks, Hartwick has been brilliant. He was MOM for me tonight.

Max

.1 word.....................GAS. I think Romfo should of been gassed a few weeks ago, possibly the worst import D man in the british elite league second would be Hartwick.

I really want to like them both but the facts are they cant pass, hit, shoot or play the body. useless much better out there and if we want to win anything this season i think G needs to make a change in defense now before its too late.

by the way we were utter garbage tonight but we got brought down to that level by belfast who i was expecting more out of tonight.

Max Beerbarrell said:
drummer-ricky said:
I've gotta say, I think the last few weeks, Hartwick has been brilliant. He was MOM for me tonight.

Max
Couldn't agree more, he has matured into a decent D man ;)

Romfo played better last night than he has the past few games. Slowly getting better as the season goes on.

Not going to shout gas anyone.

Simply because we are doing well, and we still manage to scrape points.

and this isn't the cage....

GAS GAS GAS GAS.

DevilDom

I thought Hartwick had a very decent game last night and was close to MOM. I think he does a lot of the hard work that often goes unoticed.

As for Romfo, well I am not convinced. His passing to date has been mostly poor, he doesn't put the big hits in and to me looks slow and laboured on the ice. One example for me last night was when we had another terrible PP in the 2nd period. Romfo stood behind our net with the puck for a good 10 seconds before icing it!

James

Administrator
There has been a change in Romfo over the past couple of games. Skippy pointed it out to me at the Cov away game. Spending a little longer on the puck and making sure of a good pass. It's taken some time but he seems to be settling in and adjusting to the teams play. Don't see any need to start shouting Gas yet :)

As for G, ignoring the fact we'd struggle to replace him with anyone decent and pay any attention to the wagecap, I'd say he is a great fit in the team and is able to shake people up. Look at the way Miller picked up his game as soon as he was on a line with G. I was dubious about the whole player coach thing again. Seems to be working well with Francis on the bench though.

Finny

No way would I even contemplate releasing Hartwick. The last couple of games he has been great and very close to MOTM on each occasion. I think he know realises his role is that of a defensive defenceman and need not worry about getting forward like he did when he first joined us.

Now that he can concentrate on just that - he is doing really well IMO.

Romfo does seem to be taking a while to settle in. You don't play that many seasons in the ECHL though by being a poor player and I do feel he has improved over the past couple of games.

Wannabe2

This is my take on things, releasing Hartwick would be a dull move and i dont believe it would even be in Gs head, and rightfully so. The one thing i think we are short of, and its only my personnal opinion is a Chris Mcallister type D Man, that toughness in D is what i think we are lacking. It would have to be a guy who has a bit of speed, able to play, owns our own crease, and dont give a toss about anyone else, therefore relieving Brad a little to concentrate on his own game, probably a upgrade of Maciver. Now do these players exist for this level of hockey, and are there any out there, now thats were i,m in the dark. If we could find a bigger version of Michel, who i think is the find of the season, then that would be perfect, a young feisty guy who has a lot to prove. Now i aint the coach and rightfully so, and we have the perfect person already in that position, and results are showing that, but its just my two penneth opinion. We are in a very good position at the moment, crowds look to be well up, the media are more on our side than have been for awhile, the product mainly is looking better and better, and this momentum must not be allowed to wain, if we are winning the crowds will come, we all know that, but if we start to falter then fairweather fans will defo drift. All in all things are on the up, and a great club like ours deserve that, and thats what we need to preserve.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

wildthing74

Hartwick is definatley good enough and we would be mad to gas him.Romfo reminds me of Van der Horst from many moons ago.Similar size(maybe not as round as vdh) but always looks laboured and slow on the puck.
I would agree he has improved in the last few weeks but if we were looking to make a change he would be the one I would be happiest about losing.
Maybe it could been seen that we are over reacting but if there is an issue in D I would rather it get dealt with now.
On a plus,Stevie is more than covering any defensive mistakes and is showing to be a top signing.I was happy to get him back for the extra import and glad he is settled in and doing a first class job.