Robert 'Rory' Herrman

Celticdruid

Thread starter #1
Right, I appreciate that the NIHL is somewhat of a less skillfully league than the EIHL and I have taken that into account and looked at various younger and older hockey players in that league that are comparable to some of the players in our league.

I have also taken into account that whilst with us Herrman played 7 games with 0 points. However, was this due to limited ice time, confidence or just needing time to adjust to the pace of the league since it was technically his first outing as a professional.

BUT looking at and taking all of this into account I can't help but notice how much of an impact Rory Herrman is making for Telford. He is ripping apart the numbers of some of our ex players whom are admittedly aging but still capable in that league and also experienced such as Birbrear, Silverthorn etc.

Infact if you look at Telfords all time top scorers, all time points leaders and various other awards he is statistically well up there and I think is 2nd for all time points per game at the moment (based on how many games played). And he has very quickly become a fan favourite for his physical play.

Soooo...... Did we release him to early, should we have given him more ice time or more of a settling period OR have we made an agreement with him and Telford to gain some valuable Ice time and experience and come back to us at a later date.

Should we have kept him a little longer? And who would like to see him back? I personally think we should have kept him and built on our younger guys (Like Brandt) that will learn how loyal and dedicated this club is and will want to repay the clubs loyalty be staying for many seasons knowing that the club is building for the future. They may not be tearing up the league just yet but they are on lower wages and the heart they would play with over the years would be what the club always promotes and the more skillful players who then demand the higher wages could also be brought in to do the job(s) their wage pays them to do.

Attachments

NathanG

Nice write up. Agree that he's absolutely tearing it up. If he continues to mature and grow he might find himself back in the EIhL

JC23

Whilst I fully agree with your assessment, and think he is doing incredible where he is;
You have to take into account the type of player he is, he’s clearly a lot more offensive and more of a skilled power forward than he is a checking grinding body who will throw hits all game and be defensively sound.

My point here is, he’s more of a top six forward by skill set, not a third or fourth line player.

So in order for him to find his place, he would have had to replace someone in that first two lines.

Sometimes it’s better to play your position and learn longer in a lesser league or a lower placed team.

kettdevil1

Whilst I fully agree with your assessment, and think he is doing incredible where he is;
You have to take into account the type of player he is, he’s clearly a lot more offensive and more of a skilled power forward than he is a checking grinding body who will throw hits all game and be defensively sound.

My point here is, he’s more of a top six forward by skill set, not a third or fourth line player.

So in order for him to find his place, he would have had to replace someone in that first two lines.

Sometimes it’s better to play your position and learn longer in a lesser league or a lower placed team.
I would agree with this. The times I saw him he was a square peg in a round hole with us, he clearly had talent, but at EIHL level you need far more awareness of your linemates' positioning and far more defensive responsibility than I saw when watching him.

Very pleased he is doing so well with Telford but as you say, it's not the same.... different roles lead to different results.

jenks33

The difference in quality between both leagues is huge. Nice to see Herrman doing well but he’s playing in a league where Matt Haywood has got 86 points in 43 games and a 44 year old Jason Silverthorn (who last played in the EIHL 10 years ago) has got 32 points in 30 games. To be honest Herrman moving to the NIHL was best for both parties and I haven’t thought for one minute that we released him too early.

matbur

Nothing to say that if he kicks on there and becomes a more developed player, then the Devils won't take another look at him at some stage.

In fact, I'm be pretty sure they'd have had a conversation along those of lines with him when they let him go.

Good to see him doing well.

BostonBart22

I think we got rid of the wrong player last season.

This player will only get better.

Anyone see his goal against blaze on weekend??
Agree got rid of the wrong one, 3 or 4 should've gone before rory, but unfortunately dupes had his besties playing ahead of better players sitting on the bench. That was most of the season as well , not just 1 or 2 games, how management couldn't see that is beyond me..

The_Stick_

I wouldn’t say we made the wrong decision personally. Rory was always going to be a short term option due to professional experience. He rarely iced for us when he was here, and I’m glad to see he’s getting plenty of opportunities in the NIHL. I expect him to be back in the elite league very soon, and hope he is a Devil again in the future when he is an established EIHL player

kettdevil1

I wouldn’t say we made the wrong decision personally. Rory was always going to be a short term option due to professional experience. He rarely iced for us when he was here, and I’m glad to see he’s getting plenty of opportunities in the NIHL. I expect him to be back in the elite league very soon, and hope he is a Devil again in the future when he is an established EIHL player
Yes, it was the right decision at the time. When he iced for us he looked very raw indeed and whilst it is great to see him doing well for MK, it is a different level of competition

moggy#9

Let's see how he does over a while season. There's a massive difference between turning it on during a preseason game and grinding something out of a mid January game.