rink atmosphere

Thread starter #1
Disappointing!
I managed to get to my first game of the season on sat and couldn't believe how empty it felt. I've been a devils fan a while now so have experienced good and bad crowds. The first period (and voths chant) were the only times that it felt like the crowd were there at the game. I did start to wonder whether the drumers were still there. Maybe the rugby had something to do with the lack of spirit but it can only help the devils keep their heads up if the crowds are there making noise.

The drummers were certainly MIA in the game.
There were a couple of kids shouting "Let's go devils" but completely on their own, and soon died off. Even if a group of us join in, it soon tails off.
At least if the drummers start it up it's more likely to get taken up?

Np86

Give the fans something to cheer about then.......

A hit, cycling the puck down low, hustling every oppsoition player with the puck, get in their faces...... SOMETHING to get the crowd in to the game...... Unfortunately we had none of the above! If the players want that "6th man" out there give us something to cheer for.

DevilDom

I thought the atmosphere was good at the start - particularly after the handbags at the face off but tailed off as the Devils performance tailed off and the Giants took control of the game. Got to agree with Np86 - give us something to cheer for and we'll get right behind the team. It doesn't have to be a goal (before someone says we only sing when we are winning!) just some extra effort to say "we might be 2nd best but we are still giving 100% effort".

I guess it's the "Give us something to cheer about" or "give the team a lift" argument.

Personally I'd say both! Players give something for the fans to cheer about, and equally the fans start making some noise to support the players when they're flat.

I think the drummers need to do a little more in the game maybe?
They are the official / unofficial cheerleaders for the fans. The ones that can get a chant going with the drums

voth26

with regards to chanting i feel stupid when you try to start a chant and other people dont join in and so i stop, and that affects the atmosphere i think. oh and when the team are playing not so good ( clean version of what i think) lol

Np86

Can anybody remember the guy that used to stand at the back of "i think" was block 13 in the wnir?

Get him back!

Between him and ECHO man they could rally the troops! In fact get them back and i will personally pay for both tickets! (for the first week) ;-)

Jones72

voth26 said:
with regards to chanting i feel stupid when you try to start a chant and other people dont join in and so i stop, and that affects the atmosphere i think. oh and when the team are playing not so good ( clean version of what i think) lol
I wouldn't worry...just shout out on your own. Works for me!!

:lol:

Surely the atmosphere is dictated by the game, if the game is flat less people chant even if stared by the drums. The drummers are amateurs and the real atmosphere should get generated by the professionals on the ice.

If the people that are getting paid look like they can't be bothered it rubs off on to the drummers and the rest of the crowd. This is not a criticism of the current team in general just at the apparent lack of effort on Saturday. The team that allowed a former teammate to come back on to their ice and roam freely to score a hat trick

ASHIPP

There is a scientific formula for this:

Quality of opposition+entertainment value x size of crowd!

Must admit, I personally shout and chant support whatever. But I do agree it's a two-way thing. A hard fought entertaining game will encourage a great atmosphere from the crowd. And the noise from the crowd hopefully will lift the team spirit even more.

Without fail, G always pays tribute to the noise the crowd make. He has said in the past the affect this has on the players. We definitely need to chant louder at the moment. Interesting observation: G's comments in last weekend's match night programme didn't mention the fans at all. Must just be an accidental ommission. :?

ASHIPP said:

i find thats one thing we struggle with, its all good having block 2 and 3 being noisy (it helps us alot) but with out the numbers to fill the rest of the blocks the drums become useless, we try our best but with out the help from the rest it dies out to quick and cant get a good chant to last

Wannabe2

drummer-ricky said:
ASHIPP said:

i find thats one thing we struggle with, its all good having block 2 and 3 being noisy (it helps us alot) but with out the numbers to fill the rest of the blocks the drums become useless, we try our best but with out the help from the rest it dies out to quick and cant get a good chant to last
Ask your Dad to drum harder, he isnt showing enough passion, he isnt hitting anyone, and he hasnt dropped the drumsticks and fought enough either, If he doesnt improve he should be on the next flight back to Bridgend. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wannabe2 said:
drummer-ricky said:
ASHIPP said:

Ask your Dad to drum harder, he isnt showing enough passion, he isnt hitting anyone, and he hasnt dropped the drumsticks and fought enough either, If he doesnt improve he should be on the next flight back to Bridgend. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wrong drummer ;) :lol: