Red out the city

KEVIN

Thread starter #1
Paul Has asked as fans we come together to help distribute flyers in as many places as possible Saturday 1-4, prior to this being asked I was in conversation with Brent pope offering my services around the city centre (Cardiff).
This conversation was broadcast over twitter and as not all users are on twitter I thought it might gain a few more volunteers from here too!
The idea is to meet at the BBT at 1pm preferably wearing a devils jersey to stand out and hand out flyers in any part of the centre that permits you to do so.
Brent pope has gone to great lengths in supporting this event and has raised interest and support from the Cardiff blues supporters club.
A few fans on twitter have agreed to join in the campaign and if you wish to do so simply come to the BBT at 1pm Saturday and if you're on twitter use #REDOUTTHECITY and hope we can fill the tent in the very near future.
Thanks Kev.

This is a good starting point but this needs to be done on a weekly basis. In particular I would focus my attention between 12-2pm in the centre of town in the week so as to target those with disposable income (i.e. office workers on their lunch) and to give them enough time to integrate hockey into their weekend plans.

It needn't cost much money either - it could be as simple as one man/mascot walking around town with an advertising board.

How about getting a load of Cardiff Devils branded umbrellas made? It would provide free advertising (after the initial outlay) all over the city.

Sheincar

Sorry but surely this should be done in the days leading up to a game not a few hours before a game. Has Brent approached the Devils supporters club or just the Blues?

Ger-Devils

I'm playing at a charity football tournament for Velindre so won't be able to help.

I think the flyer will be for Saturday's game but will also cover the other games for October.

KaneDevils

I've always thought that there's a lack of public transport to the rink. A couple of buses to take people solely from town to the BBT, and back again could help. People like a beer on weekends and wouldn't be able to take their own vehicle. I wonder if this puts people off and stops them going?

I have got to the tent via bus, but I never know which one it is. Also waiting after a game for one to come along in the freezing cold isn't much fun. If there was one or two waiting to take fans there and again waiting to take them back into town, that might get a few more interested.

Gazza272

KaneDevils said:
I've always thought that there's a lack of public transport to the rink. A couple of buses to take people solely from town to the BBT, and back again could help. People like a beer on weekends and wouldn't be able to take their own vehicle. I wonder if this puts people off and stops them going?

I have got to the tent via bus, but I never know which one it is. Also waiting after a game for one to come along in the freezing cold isn't much fun. If there was one or two waiting to take fans there and again waiting to take them back into town, that might get a few more interested.

There is always the short walk up to Cogan train station to take you back into town if thats where you need to go! Easily accessible with the bridge as well now!

KaneDevils

I think the sports village as it is doesn't help does it? It will be different when the new project is finished. If you had a few pubs, restaurants, Mcdonalds or whatever, a travel lodge/premiere in, you would see a big difference in attendances. As it stands the whole area is somewhat derelict and off putting.

KEVIN

Thread starter #8
Sheincar said:
Sorry but surely this should be done in the days leading up to a game not a few hours before a game. Has Brent approached the Devils supporters club or just the Blues?
It's not just about the steelers fixture, it's about raising the profile of the game across the calendar, a weekend just happens to be the time the club want to do this and I believe there is no better time than now to do this.

We all want a winning team but without bums on seats we're doomed.
We are giving up our spare time for this event and would really appreciate a bit of support.

Sheincar

KEVIN said:
Sheincar said:
It's not just about the steelers fixture, it's about raising the profile of the game across the calendar, a weekend just happens to be the time the club want to do this and I believe there is no better time than now to do this.

We all want a winning team but without bums on seats we're doomed.
We are giving up our spare time for this event and would really appreciate a bit of support.
Been there done that & volunteer every game. Someone else can do it this time.

fif

El Supremo said:
This is a good starting point but this needs to be done on a weekly basis. In particular I would focus my attention between 12-2pm in the centre of town in the week so as to target those with disposable income (i.e. office workers on their lunch) and to give them enough time to integrate hockey into their weekend plans.

It needn't cost much money either - it could be as simple as one man/mascot walking around town with an advertising board.

How about getting a load of Cardiff Devils branded umbrellas made? It would provide free advertising (after the initial outlay) all over the city.
I agree with the umbrellas. I asked Paul R last season for golf brollies with Devils logo. Free advertising and good for Christmas gifts etc....beats the typical blue and white ones that I always seem to have.

Great idea to get the Devils name out there and hopefully it'll pick up some new faces for the game.

Still think this is something the club should be doing themselves rather than being instigated and planned by the fans though. They've ignored other suggestions but are happy to jump on with this.

Looking at that website article though, is anyone proof reading this stuff anymore? :DWD
What are the "FLYERS" we're handing out? Why the quotation marks all over the place?
I can forgive spelling, typos & grammar mistakes on twitter and the like, but not when it comes to newspapers, press releases or articles. Makes us look less than professional, too much like Sheffield! :evil:

Earnie

I agree with others that Saturday afternoon is a bit late for the Sheffield game. People will already have their weekend planned. Presumably future games will be advertised as well? I am not able to do Cardiff city centre on Saturday but I am able to walk around doing letter box drops on Sunday and Monday. Is that any good?