Reasons to be Cheerful

DevilDom

Thread starter #1
Ok, its a bit cheesy but as there has been a lot of doom and gloom about recently I was thinking of reasons to be cheerful (it didn't take long) and there are quite a few!

1. We have won another trophy this season already.
2. It's a big IF but we may still win the league.
3. It's the final weekend of the season and we are competing for the top spot (again).
4. We reached the CC final (again) and had a great day out.
5. We moved into our shiny new arena and it's great and will only be better next season
6. The state of the club is a million miles away from where it was 2 years ago
7. We have a good chance of reaching PO final weekend.
8. We have the top points scorer in the league
9. We have the top scoring defenseman in the league
10. We have the best netminder in the league
11. We have great supportive owners and brilliant GM
12. We sold out over 3,000 seats twice at the weekend
13. Cardiff has to be the best place in the UK to play hockey
14. Things are only going to get better!

I'm sure there are more so feel free to add!

Before things changed last year, there were a few years when I was wanting the season to end in January. I haven't wanted the last two seasons to end. It's fun again and I'm grateful.

ASHIPP

I think many folks are just frustrated and baffled by the rapid slump in team performance in the last few weeks but many teams and their fans would swap places in a heartbeat to be in our position.

A conference winner, a top 3 league finish, a CC finalist ...those are still achievements in what has been a tough season.

Finny

DevilDom said:
Ok, its a bit cheesy but as there has been a lot of doom and gloom about recently I was thinking of reasons to be cheerful (it didn't take long) and there are quite a few!

3. It's the final weekend of the season and we are competing for the top spot (again).
5. We moved into our shiny new arena and it's great and will only be better next season

Amen.
Two years ago our target for the season was to finish top 8. We were to fail at that. When I left the rink after the Edinburgh game I genuinely didn't know when I would next see a game of ice hockey, my hope in the future was so low.

Now, we go into the final weekend of the league season with one trophy in the bag, a loss in a cup final and still in with a chance of the league title. Oh, and we qualified for the playoffs weeks ago.

When you look at how tricky it must have been to build a team that would be moving home venue's mid-season I'm genuinely shocked we are in this position. And by the sounds of it the team was built on a budget that under-estimated how good our crowds would be.

You can't demand success. Nottingham have shown that with the biggest crowds and biggest budgets yet only one league title to show for it. All you can hope for is to be competitive and be challenging for every title. And that is exactly what has happened this year.

I'm excited what this weekend and the playoffs might bring. But I'm even more excited as to what the future might bring us.

DevilDom

Thread starter #7
Finny said:
You can't demand success. Nottingham have shown that with the biggest crowds and biggest budgets yet only one league title to show for it. All you can hope for is to be competitive and be challenging for every title. And that is exactly what has happened this year.

I'm excited what this weekend and the playoffs might bring. But I'm even more excited as to what the future might bring us.
Very good point. I would imagine our budget was less than Nottingham's and Sheffield's and at best on a par with Belfast and yet we are competing for top spot whereas two out of these three are not.

The Future is bright & no matter what I've had a great time watching the team again this season. It wasn't long ago Belfast ran into double figures in our barn which was a real low in a season of lows. We all want to win everything but sometimes a reality check helps to appreciate what we do have.

Slartibartfast

I would add that although recent form has dipped, at times this season I have watched some of the best hockey I have seen in 26 years of following the Devils.

The talent in this team is incredible.

DevilDom said:

And we have soap & hot water in the toilets!!.. :lol: :lol:

Where were we a few seasons ago ! Ok, we could have done better this year ....sounds like the old school report ! so LET'S GO DEVILS. Just one thing, Franny, red tie please !!!

Sheincar

MAMPONTS09 said:
Where were we a few seasons ago ! Ok, we could have done better this year ....sounds like the old school report ! so LET'S GO DEVILS. Just one thing, Franny, red tie please !!!
He wears the tie that matches the shirts.

We've got a great team, a fantastic coach, a wonderful ownership group, brilliant management team, the best fans.... oh nearly forgot, a superb new arena that's been 10 years in the making.

No-one said Sport is predictable and no-one said that we had a divine right to win the league this year.. I really believe we deserve to but we might not

So long as we can show improvement and build year on year I'll be happy and so should everyone else be

Whatever happens this weekend I for one will be applauding this organisation for bringing the pride and feel good factor back into the Devils

LETS GO DEVILS LETS GO!!!!

Wannabe2

In fairness I had my season ticket money,s worth of entertainment way before we moved. It's a roller coaster ride supporting your team, think we all know that bit. Maybe it's a better trip being on a roller coaster ride, as opposed to either running away with something, or not being in the running. At the end of the day if we continue to improve, that's probably all we can ask for, at least the penny has dropped with us lot, we could be supporting some other sport and never realise the greatest sport on the planet is on our doorstep.

Doesn't matter what sport it is, there's skill involved and there's always luck involved, be it good or bad, you can be the best team (Devils ;)) and still have the worst luck, this season has been supoerb, maybe I'm biased but definitely think we deserve the league title and the CHL spot! let's see what happens, either way, stroll on August for the Pre-season and next season!