Reasons to be cheerful 2023

Slartibartfast

Thread starter #1
While this has been a season that I have felt and posted much more negative than previous ones, Im actually going into the new year feeling a lot more positive about this team. Why?

• In the league we are 10 wins and 1 loss in our last 11 games.
  • We have done that despite a lot of injuries
  • We are third in the league and only 3 points off top (though Flames have one game in hand)
  • The addition of Herrman and Fournier will bring some much needed physicality and Fournier has a pretty decent CV with respectable stats and AHL experience
  • The team have stepped up the physicality a bit. Great to see Thompson finally using his body to take forwards out
  • Crawford though a high risk player is the top point scorer in the league for D men.
  • Most of the season we relied on the Cox and Sanford to generate goals/assists. Recently Penny and Reid have started producing. Reid is now joint with Sanford on points and over a point a game.
  • Brittain is playing a lot better and starting to look like the power forward we had hoped for. Maybe he will combine well with Fournier
  • Lots of other teams are having injuries, off ice or changing room problems
  • We have seen Devils make changes around Xmas time in previous seasons that have led to good things
  • Kozun has played some absolute blinders recently

Do I think we will now take the league by storm?. No. But I think we are now in a position to give it much better go and we will at the very least see more entertaining hockey.

Key to success will be the return of Sanford who has been a goal machine of late. The fact that he was announced on Twitter as being back for the Coventry home game (even though he didn't play) suggests it was only a short term injury or illness so fingers crossed. I am worried that we will not see Coughler back soon though. I hope his season isn't over. Would love to see him back at least for the playoffs. We know the difference he made last season.

Wannabe2

That’s a great post and spot on, hopefully this team will play as it can play, and when it does it is a match for anyone. Think everyone is now in a better and more positive mood, we have been spoilt over the years but 10 wins in 11 games is as good as it get. Also again our amazing owners who know a thing or two about hockey, sorted it as they always do and no one can fault these guys, so thanks again guys awesome as usual. Few big games coming thick and fast now, let’s hope it’s Happy Hockey Days for our great club.

august04 2.0

There are many more reasons to be cheerful than a month ago, particularly looking forward to seeing Fournier. It’s great what a couple of new additions can do for other people’s contributions too. We were crying out for it and got there in the end thankfully. With Guildford starting to look a little shaky, it’s going to be the usual suspects that will fight for that title for me. Belfast have recovered, along with us but it’s Sheffield who are the real threat I think. A huge game against them coming up on the 5th. I think we’ll have a better understanding of where we are after these next 3 games against the Flames/Steelers before a tricky trip to Manchester. Let’s hope we’re back to a near full line up tomorrow and NYD. Always enjoy games v Flames and tomorrows’ could be a classic with them desperate to get back to winning ways and us playing with a bit more confidence.

moggy#9

I think that the home game against Coventry flattered us a bit. Had the netminders been swapped over it would have been a different story.

I would like to see an improvement in our special teams. It's unfamiliar seeing the devils 10th in the league in pk and 7th in pp. Meanwhile puck retention and break outs are still a problem.

All that said though, I'm a lot more optimistic than I was a few weeks ago. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new guys and setting down some markers for the continental cup and the run-in. There are signs of Guildford and Coventry getting metaphorical nosebleeds from their positions, so hopefully we can take advantage of that.

kristian

While this has been a season that I have felt and posted much more negative than previous ones, Im actually going into the new year feeling a lot more positive about this team. Why?

• In the league we are 10 wins and 1 loss in our last 11 games.
  • We have done that despite a lot of injuries
  • We are third in the league and only 3 points off top (though Flames have one game in hand)
  • The addition of Herrman and Fournier will bring some much needed physicality and Fournier has a pretty decent CV with respectable stats and AHL experience
  • The team have stepped up the physicality a bit. Great to see Thompson finally using his body to take forwards out
  • Crawford though a high risk player is the top point scorer in the league for D men.
  • Most of the season we relied on the Cox and Sanford to generate goals/assists. Recently Penny and Reid have started producing. Reid is now joint with Sanford on points and over a point a game.
  • Brittain is playing a lot better and starting to look like the power forward we had hoped for. Maybe he will combine well with Fournier
  • Lots of other teams are having injuries, off ice or changing room problems
  • We have seen Devils make changes around Xmas time in previous seasons that have led to good things
  • Kozun has played some absolute blinders recently

Do I think we will now take the league by storm?. No. But I think we are now in a position to give it much better go and we will at the very least see more entertaining hockey.

Key to success will be the return of Sanford who has been a goal machine of late. The fact that he was announced on Twitter as being back for the Coventry home game (even though he didn't play) suggests it was only a short term injury or illness so fingers crossed. I am worried that we will not see Coughler back soon though. I hope his season isn't over. Would love to see him back at least for the playoffs. We know the difference he made last season.
That's Todd's next program notes written for him .