Ragan and Pope answer your questions

Good interview. Good questions and reasonably answered especially by Paul Ragan. Bit long but covered a lot of interesting issues e.g. European players, coaching and Brent's role and hopefully will get positive response from the appeal to get on board and support the club to help it continue to move forward. I enjoyed it anyway.

To be honest I agreed with almost everything that was said and admire the two of them for partaking in this discussion. You'd never see the likes of Vincent Tan doing something like this.

Ocko

Yup I agree. The mess of the autumn was a dark period for the club but we are now emerging stronger as a result. Crowds are back and will grow with continued performances like those we have managed recently. For every person that has decided to stay away I'm sure they will be replaced with new fans. I think Paul Ragan will never be popular with some as he wants a clear distance between fans and management with a supporters group in the middle, just like most professional sports teams. However that hasn't happened in Cardiff before as some fans like to think they're close to the club and know it inside out - some people just don't like their noses pushed out. Which has clearly happened here.

Fair play to both for doing this, I am sure 99% of most sports teams wouldn't have this openness and access to their owner/management nor would they be obliged to justify their decisions so publicly.

Slartibartfast

Very interesting. I watched for the whole hour. Thought they come across very open and professional.
They may have made mistakes but at least now we understand the reasons why. And lets face it we are seeing better hockey than we have seen for a long time so in the long term it looks like they got it right.
Lets hope everyone gets behind the club now.

osh

Thought they answered questions put to them very well. PR admitted mistakes have been made and apologised accordingly. I thought BP was more guarded in his answers but made his position clear. I'm not sure that the interview will have convinced the regular doubters and hard done by posters. In fact, some of the issues raised on other media sites weren't even asked of the pair.

I'm delighted to note that we are playing much better hockey than at anytime in the past couple of years, results are better, but more importantly, the team is working very hard for each other and that hasn't always been the case. Crowds will gradually rise if we continue to play well, especially at home. Good to see 99% of posts are positive lately as well.

DevilDom

I thought it was a well scripted response, but they have had 2 weeks to prepare it.;-)

Didn't say that much new really for me. Skirted over the issue of the attempt to publicaly humiliate G into leaving and how contradictory the official club releases were at that time. Yes PR said he was sorry but only that he hadn't sacked G in the summer.

I could go on, but because I'm not swallowing it I'll only be called negative and not a real fan etc. But I find anything PR says difficult to believe because his actions are often so different to his words. Brent came across ok but did so by actually saying very little.

As for the comment about a small minority spoiling it for the rest, that really shows how blinkered the man is.

I will continue to support the team but will also continue to take a huge pinch of salt when listening to anything PR says. FACT

Ocko

You're trying to say it's not a small minority? I'm pretty sure there were still 1600+ paying supporters on Sunday, and I expect that to rise again for the next fixture. I have no doubt there are a lot of people that don't like PR or don't agree with his decisions but I don't think that is what he is eluding to because most are still turning up and supporting the club.

DevilDom

I have a season ticket and turn up every week. Those that know me, know I also loudly support the team each week. I still have no time for Ragan and his slimy attempts to smooth over some pretty shocking behaviour from the club. I know quite a few people who feel the same way, some have stopped coming, some haven't. Doesn't mean I won't voice my opinion, because it will be taken as negative, just because i still want to support the team.

Well IMO I'm one of the "won't trust him as far as I can throw him" camp....... I still go to games and support my team though.......
But here are a few neutral's view from THF, hope they don't mind me posting."

"Only watched the first 6.5 minutes of it and have to say Bent Pope 's demeanour throughout congress across as one full of arrogance and displeasure at having to answer these questions. Clearly that may not be the case at all but his body language comes across that way."

"Long piece and not watched it all, but Pope's response to a question around the 6 minute mark...nice attitude!"

"No I think you've nailed it, "Arrogance & displeasure at having to answer these questions"

Having heard from the horse's mouth what his practices & coaching are like, I think delusional is in there someplace as well."

"Just watched the first 8 minutes, I couldn't take anymore after that! Both Pope & Ragan's body language says they don't want to be there, Pope's arrogance is astounding, and the more I hear from him, the more I understand why I've never heard anyone say a good word about him."

So most are all saying Pope is very arrogant..... IMO not a good look for the club either.

Chris

Administrator
Yes, but some of those same people were also complaining about their choice of clothing and the fact they were stood up rather than sitting down.

Despite being labelled as sellouts and lapdogs for looking after the-inferno, I don't trust Ragan either but I don't see anyone else lined up or making noises about wanting to invest in the club, with Ragans comment at the end about not breaking even again this season someone else stepping in seems even more unlikely.

I don't think the whole coaching mess has been sorted out from that interview, but at the moment with the hockey being so entertaining to watch Pope can wear whatever hat he wants, even if it isn't him allegedly coaching the team.

They've made a huge amount of mistakes for sure, but the hockey seems better which is all that really matters to me :)

Foxy

Ocko said:
You're trying to say it's not a small minority? I'm pretty sure there were still 1600+ paying supporters on Sunday, and I expect that to rise again for the next fixture. I have no doubt there are a lot of people that don't like PR or don't agree with his decisions but I don't think that is what he is eluding to because most are still turning up and supporting the club.
Unless your going to go around and poll the rink i guess you'll never no how big or small the percentage is. As you say people go to support the team not PR

Alot of people are in the " support the club not pr/pope" camp. I volunteer and have held a ST holder for years ive lost interest in the back room bull shit that ALWAYS goes on. Although I disagree with the whole g/franny issue the devils on ice performance has improved no end. What was said about 'euro hockey' is correct. Look at the departures from the league and the arrivals we have seen in the tent. Kurka is doing outstanding and joonas looks great. Be interesting to see how and what style of coaching we see next season

Wannabe2

Unfortunately I watched the whole sorry episode, so much clap trap spoken it was untrue and incredibly embarassing to watch two people contradicting each other after obviously scrutinising the questions beforehand beggars belief. I love my club 1000% and more but that was so surreal it was unbelievable, as unbelievable as the answers given. And the bit about promising a new arena, jesus christ our owner wasnt even around then when the hard work began. Faulkners Fusiliers as I like to call them are finally showing what they are capable of, and that can only be good for the hundreds of people that this club is really about.

Gazza272

Wannabe2 said:
Unfortunately I watched the whole sorry episode, so much clap trap spoken it was untrue and incredibly embarassing to watch two people contradicting each other after obviously scrutinising the questions beforehand beggars belief. I love my club 1000% and more but that was so surreal it was unbelievable, as unbelievable as the answers given. And the bit about promising a new arena, jesus christ our owner wasnt even around then when the hard work began. Faulkners Fusiliers as I like to call them are finally showing what they are capable of, and that can only be good for the hundreds of people that this club is really about.

First of all the Owner never stated he did the hard work, just stated the new arena was on its way.

Secondly I find your assertion they scrutinised the questions before hand to be terribly disrespectful to John Donovan who conducted the interview. Indeed if they did scrutinice the questions, they didnt do a very good job given they told John one of them was 'inappropriate' but hey too many facts for you I guess.

thirdly, considering you have been going to hockey for a few decades the fact you think the recent form is down to Faulkner shows you haven't really learnt a lot about hockey in that time in my brutally honest opinion.

thirdly, considering you have been going to hockey for a few decades the fact you think the recent form is down to Faulkner shows you haven't really learnt a lot about hockey in that time in my brutally honest opinion.
I think you'll find Mac has been leading the coaching!

I liked the interview, very well presented and as honest as the business will allow.

Face it how many of us wonder about the decisions our boss makes, only to be be made clear many months later? The G/Franny thingy has been proven a good decision if a little too late and for me they don't go too far in respect of the situation and other peoples feelings (I.e. G)

All is good on the ice, long may it continue :RAWK

I found it an open and honest reflection of what has happened. Not many MDs and Head Coaches of a Sports club would have been prepared to offer their perspective of what has happened.

There will be some that won't believe what was said - so be it, that's their choice - what I find inappropriate is when people have to get so personal and insulting to the individuals concerned.

As Brent said, the club would not be at the level it is now without PR's money. PR is a businessman (successful one at that) and is making strides to run the club as a business. PR has invested significant amounts of his own money to get the club on to what he and his staff consider to be the right tracks - there will be some that don't agree - but negative criticism isn't worth the breath with which it is delivered. Got something to say - put it positively and there's a chance it may get listened to.

Both PR and BP acknowledge they have made mistakes (publicly). I think we all make mistakes from time to time, but one things for sure when I make mistakes and when I acknowledge them I sure as heck have no time for detracting name calling mud slingers - so I don't see why PR & BP should be any different.

Mistakes are made to learn from, some people just don't grasp that concept and think it is best to carry on doing what the club always did. I heard one of the DCF Junior coaches sum it up perfectly - If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got

DevilDom said:
I thought it was a well scripted response, but they have had 2 weeks to prepare it.;-)
Fascinating. The CDRA and RASG gave them 24 hours notice of the questions, which were then modified by JD as the questioning went along. So, in fact, many questions and answers were 100% ad-lib.

Why do posters on here make false assertions (also known as lies) in a way that leads people to think they're true?

BTW: I know this to be true as I drafted the final wording of the questions!

Ocko

To make a point about Faulkner 'leading training'. Why is that a smear on Pope? Surely if he feels that Faulkner has the attributes and is willing to take training good on him doing what's best for the team.

If you think that the head coach is always responsible for taking training in professional sports you are mistaken. A head coach will usually outline what he wants and expects from training to an assistant who will carry out the session and report to the head coach. This happens in most sports too; do you think Gatland took the Lions/Wales training sessions? He took few if any, that was down to Farrell and Howley.

TheStub

Ocko said:
To make a point about Faulkner 'leading training'. Why is that a smear on Pope? Surely if he feels that Faulkner has the attributes and is willing to take training good on him doing what's best for the team.

If you think that the head coach is always responsible for taking training in professional sports you are mistaken. A head coach will usually outline what he wants and expects from training to an assistant who will carry out the session and report to the head coach. This happens in most sports too; do you think Gatland took the Lions/Wales training sessions? He took few if any, that was down to Farrell and Howley.
Also, it is no different to how Adams conducted his training... Or rather how Adams didn't conduct his training.

If the players are leading the training sessions then thus is exactly what we have had for many years.