Private messages

Thread starter #1
I have been having issues with private messages, i just wanted to know if my private messages are getting through, is anyone able to help me out with thsi please?
Thanks

Chris

Administrator
What's the error you're getting?

There are a few people getting issues with cookies on the board for some reason, but it's not effecting the majority...

Chris.

Thread starter #3
Basically, the messages arent getting through to people. So if i get a message i cant reply. does that make sense? lol

Thread starter #5
lol didnt think it did.

basically no error is being thrown at me, its just i have messaged people and they just arent receiving the messages

They said they havent received anything. but i did send a message.

Just needed to know if they were going through.

Thank you :mrgreen:

Chris

Administrator
I'm not sure why that would be happening, if it's not throwing an error up though it's hard to say what the problem might be.

James or Gareth might have more insight, i'll slap them about a bit and link them to this thread!

Chris.

Thread starter #13
Whoohoo, thank you very much.

By the look of things what happens is it stays in outbox for a while, thats why they didnt send

Thank you very much for your help mate :D

Chris

Administrator
Indeed, that's how phpbb works, confused me at first :E

When a message is sent, it stays in the senders outbox until the recipient reads it, then it'll disappear.

Chris.

James

Administrator
its simply a case of how the system handles it. Unlike an email which is sent via SMTP (although the system also sends emails but thats not directly related) a PM is simply a record saved in the database. It isn't sent, other than the recipient being informed effectively it has been saved in the database. Or to use terminoligy relating to the forum, a PM is a forum post which can only be read by the intended parties. Therefore the outbox isn't actually functioning like a mail package at all. The Outbox should really be considered as 'sent but unread'

or something :D