Pre-season games!

Thread starter #1
http://www.thestar.co.uk/icehockey/Stee ... 5343106.jp

Ok, I'm quite annoyed by this...
Sheffield and Coventry both get to play Aalborg
and Belfast and Edinburgh get to play an AHL team each (ok it's not pre-season, but still)
who do we get?
COVENTRY.

Why can't the devils ever play anyone interesting?

I just wish that we would bring an interesting team (or two) to the tent.
Other teams seem to be doing it, so why can't we?

Because we can't do anything like this, I am forced to consider sacrificing my season ticket, to go up to edinburgh for the best part of a week, in hope to see some "interesting teams" play.

... and before it is suggested... I can't afford both, as I am only 16 years of age, and jobs aren't exactly easy to come by at a time like this.

Sorry if anyone doesn't feel the same way, but it's just my opinion.

Scott.

For the Steelers and Blaze, Aalborg will be vaguely exciting as we get to see our ex-players.

If they played the Devils, it would be 16 slightly higher standard players you've never heard of plus Lehman and Martin probably playing at half-pace.

I seriously doubt you are missing out on anything that great ;)

Thread starter #3
I see what your saying, it's just I'd like to see how the devils would compare against opposition from another league :/

that, and I'd like to see our organisation as a whole, doing things like this :oops:

Not meant to say anything but I spoke to Shannon today and he told me during a round of golf with Mario Lemieux he had organised a game with the Pittsburgh Penguins on the Wednesday 2nd of September where they will be parading the Stanley Cup around the Tent! And that the Cardiff Devils will be loaning Malkin, Crosby and Guerin as our first line for the month of September in the Elite League! That should set us on our way to the Elite League Title for the 2009/2010 season! Article in tomorrow's Echo!

We had a pre season game last year against a french team, the epinal dolphins. That was the first time we had a proper pre season game in years. Maybe the devils have other things planned, but havent released the info. who knows!

ASHIPP

I'm optimistically guessing there will be one or two other games being lined up - the Devils certainly will want to get in the swing of playing several games before the season starts.

DEVIL INSIDE said:
Not meant to say anything but I spoke to Shannon today and he told me during a round of golf with Mario Lemieux he had organised a game with the Pittsburgh Penguins on the Wednesday 2nd of September where they will be parading the Stanley Cup around the Tent! And that the Cardiff Devils will be loaning Malkin, Crosby and Guerin as our first line for the month of September in the Elite League! That should set us on our way to the Elite League Title for the 2009/2010 season! Article in tomorrow's Echo!
If Carlsberg did pre-season games........

A

Anonymous

DEVIL INSIDE said:
DEVIL INSIDE said:
If Carlsberg did pre-season games........
:lol: Priceless !!

ASHIPP

Any thoughts anyone on who we might be playing in our other pre-season warm-up games, if we have any?
My feeling is we might link up with Nottingham or Hull and play home/away.
We could even play an EPL team like the new Bison - although that would be more of a display match than a lik-for-like warm-up.

ASHIPP said:
Any thoughts anyone on who we might be playing in our other pre-season warm-up games, if we have any?
My feeling is we might link up with Nottingham or Hull and play home/away.
We could even play an EPL team like the new Bison - although that would be more of a display match than a lik-for-like warm-up.
Depending on their ongoing financial problems I'd like to play Bracknell away on the Sunday night. Bracknell have a very big ice surface which would give us much needed practice ahead of the new season. Perhaps the club could even see whether it would be possible to rent some ice time off Bracknell on the Monday and Tuesday before travelling down to Coventry for the Tuesday night game. As has been stated by Gazza on another thread our record on the big ice pads is going to dictate a lot of our success or failure this year. Whilst three days at Bracknell wouldn't solve these problems it might allow us to get off to a quicker start than previous years due to the big ice not being such a culture shock.

Hopefully, a game against an EPL side would give the players 'more time' on the puck to get their touch back and get into the 5 on 5 and powerplay grove.

Cheers,

John

ASHIPP

Belfast have added another fixture to their warm-ups - against Newcastle in the last week of August. Looks like Coventry, Belfast and Sheffield are going to get quite a lot of pre-season practice. Hope the Devils announce a couple of additional dates.

ASHIPP said:
Belfast have added another fixture to their warm-ups - against Newcastle in the last week of August. Looks like Coventry, Belfast and Sheffield are going to get quite a lot of pre-season practice. Hope the Devils announce a couple of additional dates.
i would hope so, i remember last year we just had the two games before the season started, this is no where near enough imo. I reckon about 6 warm up games would be a good number to have.

I believe the idea of battling against an EPL team is probably the most productive. Pre-season games are more about just getting your general touch back and getting some ice time under your belt, these games are likely to be a little more exciting aswell as the EPL guys will want to prove themselves. Whilst there is no real need to see how our players are fairing against league competitors as at that point in the season (pre-season) its very unlikely changes will be made last minute to the line-up of the team.

Sliput

Regardless of who we are playing...whether it be Coventry or Pittsburg ;) ..they are still only friendlies !!

No-one will be going full tilt and playing at their best...i dont usually go to friendlies as i think they are a waste of money
Unless of course there are ''other'' reasons to go :lol: :oops:

osh

Sliput said:
Regardless of who we are playing...whether it be Coventry or Pittsburg ;) ..they are still only friendlies !!

No-one will be going full tilt and playing at their best...i dont usually go to friendlies as i think they are a waste of money
Unless of course there are ''other'' reasons to go :lol: :oops:[/quote

I know what you're saying, however, pre season games are always an opportunity to gel prior to being thrown in to league and cup fixtures, and I think that it's always better to win 80% of your opening fixtures as opposed to losing 80% of your opening games. The more pre season games we can fit in the better, and progress from there.

Sliput

osh said:
I know what you're saying, however, pre season games are always an opportunity to gel prior to being thrown in to league and cup fixtures, and I think that it's always better to win 80% of your opening fixtures as opposed to losing 80% of your opening games. The more pre season games we can fit in the better, and progress from there.
Thats what i was sort of trying to say.......but surely it doesnt matter who you are playing (Replying to SDK)......even though neither team is really ''trying''

I know what i mean :lol:

I think that it will be a good match. Even though it's only a friendly there is still a good enough amount of rivalry there to make it an interesting match to say the least! ;) At least by playing them the guys have to work a little bit for the win. A couple of additional dates wouldn't hurt though, I do agree with that one!