Pre-season 2022: Belfast Games

Finny

From a conversation I overheard last night (between a fan and Kelman), I believe Coughler hasn't arrived yet and he arrives on Monday.
I think you might be mixing him up with Kozun who doesn’t arrive until Monday.
Coughler has definitely arrived and spent part of last night’s game on the gantry.

kristian

Just sure what people expected from these 2 games players only arrived about a week ago. Probably only a.few training sessions add to that a bit of jet lag. Let's be honest some are still getting used to who's who never mind knowing how each other plays.

Slartibartfast

I really don't understand the downer some people have on Bowns. A few years ago he was hailed as the saviour of the Devils. Now he is talked about like he is some sort of liability. But his stats have hardly changed through his career. He has always been around the .90 to .91 save percentage. He even had a respectable .906 in the Slovak extraliga. Granted he has not achieved the .93 of Macruth and Beskorowany but he is still a pretty decent nettie. Give the guy a break

1661140624628.png

kettdevil1

I really don't understand the downer some people have on Bowns. A few years ago he was hailed as the saviour of the Devils. Now he is talked about like he is some sort of liability. But his stats have hardly changed through his career. He has always been around the .90 to .91 save percentage. He even had a respectable .906 in the Slovak extraliga. Granted he has not achieved the .93 of Macruth and Beskorowany but he is still a pretty decent nettie. Give the guy a break

View attachment 1959
Yes, that's it for me. What the stats don't show is that the pattern is that the bigger the game, the better he plays as well. It could be that he has declined in the last few months but (a) I don't see how that is possible and (b) we have no evidence that this is the case. So for me the time to judge is some time into the new season.

Looking back over the last few years certain sections of the fanbase do seem to like to select a player to target (think Reddick, Bowns (first time around), Jardine (at the start of his Devils career) and others) as the cause of all woes and I wonder if this is beginning to happen again.

Kevlar68

If you read through I can't see anyone blaming a specific player.
We are just so used to being there or there abouts with our biggest rivals no matter when the game is that when you see scoreline 3-1 (fair enough) but then 5-1 and 3 goals against in first period it's always a shock.
I'm sure come points time we'll be nailed down with lines, plays and tactics.

Devil94

The issue is that some have already formed a negative opinion on Bowns (from his last season with us where we were winning the league comfortably, work that one out), and so it will be the way that any slight slip up he has during the season will immediately be jumped on.
Unfortunately you can see that already after one pre season weekend. In my view there was 1 goal out of the 7 he would want back, and there are already questions being asked. It's a shame but as Kettdevil1 said, there's always one that is a target. Not often is it one of your most successful players of all time though.

Rempel16

I don't think anyone is questioning his ability, the problem is.....and won't mention the player again......but now we have a ex nettie to compare him against (reflex, puck cover, post to post etc) where as before we only knew Bowns.
Which is valid, but then, and this isn't aimed at you, we surely need to compare temperament, attitude and number of fights in the locker room too.

Rick Brebant was our best player but after he and Shannon fell out one had to go. I don't care how good a guy is on the ice, if he is bad for the locker room then taking someone who's slightly less in the ability department but an upgrade in chemistry is a no brainer.

Samael

Ben was and still is a big game player. Yes he's older now and he also had a nasty injury at Graz but he served this club well in the past and l firmly believe he will this season and more importantly so do the experts who manage coach and own the team.

There is a lot to be said too regarding locker room chemistry which Rempel mentions above. Doesn't matter if you've got Patrick Roy in net, if he's an arrogant prick in the locker room and winding up other players, that is a liability not an asset. Ben from what l see in interviews is nothing at all like that and comes across as a decent straight talking guy. Typical northern lad really who l imagine is good for team morale.

ASHIPP

If the locker room is reasonably happy, honest and well motivated, that is much more conducive to positive training sessions and learning new systems. Devils are historically 'slow burners' every season. Let's be patient and see what happens.

lloyd_jeff

First post on the Inferno & first few games of 22/23 season. Have to say, it’s been a quick off season, or it at least felt quick. I’m good with how we played, I’ve not got a game summary of who did what right or wrong, I’m just glad to get a season under way. Expecting greatness in preseason, would be nice, just not important.

Finny

People talk about Bowns coming back being older.
He‘s only 31. Isn’t that around peak age for a netminder?

Just looked at the NHL netminder stats for last year and lots of players in the top 10 are 32.