Positive Suggestion

Thread starter #1
OK so I'm totally fed up with this non-contact form of hockey the Devils seem to have decided is the way forward this season, but rather than continue to tell everyone on here how fed up I am here's a more pro-active suggestion :)

I propose that a fan-funded 'hit bonus' is introduced.

The premise is that fans (if they choose) can donate 50p-£1 (fresh idea so still working out the kinks :D ) to a pot that will go to the forward and defenceman that throws the most hits during a game. The money is split equally between both, however a reserve amount can also be put by for 'honourable contribution' which would be awarded to the player that has perhaps done good work in protecting Stevie or stuck up for a team mate during the game.

The award could be presented to the player at the end of the game.

Obviously with no Tylor this year, it's a fair competition :lol:

Genuinely - is this something we could do? Paul? Are the Devils fans up for it? :D

TheStub

Smacks maybe a bit like a bounty, but "a hit of the game" type contribution could be fun.

I'm in :grin:

Maybe temper it with a "play of the game" prize as well :?

Gazza272

I love it, its like putting a bounty on a whole team :lol:

I can hear Max now 'I really want that pint glass full of change coach. My attitudes right'

Honestly it could be a bit of fun i guess, be interesting to see if the players took notice of it :lol:

Thread starter #6
TheStub said:
Smacks maybe a bit like a bounty, but "a hit of the game" type contribution could be fun.

I'm in :grin:

Maybe temper it with a "play of the game" prize as well :?
Hit of the game might be more practical :lol: (although I'd be worried it might not get that forecheck going) If there's no hits worthy we can have a rollover :D

'Honourable contribution' could be fleshed out a bit as well - perhaps to include blocked shots etc - the player who's put themselves most on the line...

It's potentially a serious prize though - If 500 people put a quid in an all that - could be a signature tradition for Devils fans for years to come :)

Perhaps we could even get the club to provide a free apartment, free car, weekly wages and a platform for the players to perform among other things as an incentive.......oh wait, we already do!

I apologise if I come across as forceful but if a combination of the above, professional pride and a desire to win isn't enough of an incentive for our players then I very much doubt a collection to throw a hit will be too! Asking the fans to contribute to a fund to get our players to perform (on top of an already over-inflated walk-up price of £17 or so for an adult) I think is an insult personally.

Again, I apologise. This isn't a personal dig at you, more so at the idea.

Max

DevilDom

I like the idea but doubt its practical.

Can you imagine G's team talks? - G to player "You were out of position for that goal", Player to G "yeah but I won the hit of the game competition and that is worth more than my Salary!"

Thread starter #10
Max Beerbarrell said:
Perhaps we could even get the club to provide a free apartment, free car, weekly wages and a platform for the players to perform among other things as an incentive.......oh wait, we already do!

I apologise if I come across as forceful but if a combination of the above, professional pride and a desire to win isn't enough of an incentive for our players then I very much doubt a collection to throw a hit will be too! Asking the fans to contribute to a fund to get our players to perform (on top of an already over-inflated walk-up price of £17 or so for an adult) I think is an insult personally.

Again, I apologise. This isn't a personal dig at you, more so at the idea.

Max
Totally agree (apart from the insult part - nobody's forced to pay) The idea offers a pretty strong comment on the way the team is approaching games this year though - if I was a player I'd probably regard it as an insult. ;)

If donating 50p a week ensures I get to watch a proper game of hockey I'd be happy to pay it :D

How about the 'Inferno Christmas Bonus'?
Would need help from the inferno. People contribute to a kitty. At the end of December a poll is run for forum members to vote on the player/s who deserves the 'bonus' most based on the month of December performance? Depending on the size of the kitty we could split 50/50 import/brit. 100% to one player or 50, 30, 20 for 1st 2nd and 3rd?

ridiculous idea ... it just says you don't trust G to coach the guys so you'll find a way of doing it instead. It's like parents paying their kids to score goals, turning them into selfish players. I hope the idea wasn't serious!

DevilDom

Bedevilled said:
ridiculous idea ... it just says you don't trust G to coach the guys so you'll find a way of doing it instead. It's like parents paying their kids to score goals, turning them into selfish players. I hope the idea wasn't serious!
I would guess Soundwave's tongue was firmly in his cheek when he posted this!

Leave the coaching to G..... :lol:

IMO the players won't take notice and rightly so. Hits don't score goals, putting the puck in the net does......

Plus if they did take notice, could you imagine the calls against us for the "biggest check". Our refs don't do big hits.

TheStub

Re: Re: Positive Suggestion

DevilDom said:
I would guess Soundwave's tongue was firmly in his cheek when he posted this!

I would guess so too. Although I can see some merit.

samidevils said:
Leave the coaching to G..... :lol:

IMO the players won't take notice and rightly so. Hits don't score goals, putting the puck in the net does......

Plus if they did take notice, could you imagine the calls against us for the "biggest check". Our refs don't do big hits.
I'll accept the refs comment, but I would argue that a well timed hit can make the play and lead to a goal.

I quite like the idea of the goal or play of the month, with a collection going to pay for a team meal - once a month. Bit of fun then, like juice boy - with one player getting bragging rights and the whole team bonding around it.

What do we think?

steve

Ah well seems like you get shot down weather you say something positive or not.

I would love a 'hit of the night' award to be honest although it might be better to have it sponsored - oh no are there any left!

Cardiff could gain a rep for its 'hit of the night' award and with the technology you could show a relevant replay at the end of the game. I'm sure maxi would love the chance to win it every week. Ok, so eventually someone would over do it (prob Frank!) but at least it would inject some 'fun' and the league will ban us for something anyway at some point.