Player Coaches

rocketbob

Well a certain Mr Adams seems to be doing a pretty good job. I think the key is having an excellent bench coach to work alongside the player coach. In addition success also requires that both coaches are pulling in the same direction.

It also requires the players to listen to the coach and all give 100% every game and carry out the game plan etc

Tylor is excluded as he always gives at least 1000%

I heard some chat after the nottingham game about how they're suffering because they need a dedicated/non-playing coach and thought 'we're doing alright'... I agree the difference is the quality bench coaching to back him up.

One advantage of the player/coach is the opportunity to set an example. On a couple of occasions this season when the team has been struggling or started to flag G's taken the puck the length of the ice and scored a goal. Not to mention the occasional use of his fists.

I often think how much Alex Ferguson would love the options G's got to express his opinions and get his message across.

Koop11

The player coach role is always an interesting issue and there are good examples for and against but picking up on Mark666’s point, I have to say how impressed I’ve been with Gerad, the player, this season.

Of course he and Franny have built a great team and regardless of how successful we may or may not be this year, Gerad has certainly recruited well, entertained and given back Cardiff a winning team. So much so he has earned himself a new contract. But as a player, I feel Gerad is playing he best season for us since we won the CC. Long may that continue.

Interesting debate to have.

Ask yourself this, were you happy with a player coach the past few seasons ? (IIRC you have had same coach and bench coach for 3+ seasons)

G has been our coach for that long, but last season was Franny's first as bench coach after retiring. I think that is where the difference is. Last year we had a more experienced coach and a rookie bench coach and had a decent season.

With an experienced bench coach, and another season's experience himself, G has shown what a player coach is capable of.

Wannabe2

Koop11 said:
The player coach role is always an interesting issue and there are good examples for and against but picking up on Mark666’s point, I have to say how impressed I’ve been with Gerad, the player, this season.

Of course he and Franny have built a great team and regardless of how successful we may or may not be this year, Gerad has certainly recruited well, entertained and given back Cardiff a winning team. So much so he has earned himself a new contract. But as a player, I feel Gerad is playing he best season for us since we won the CC. Long may that continue.
Top remarks made there, and hits the nail precisely on the head, its all coming together very nicely at this moment, and all the very hard work is undoubtedly paying off.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

no 1 can say its not working for the devils this season my question is how much is the bench coach being payed? also G is having a good season playing and coaching but how much exta dose he get paid to play and coach at the same time do people think he would be better off behind the bench all the time and get another import D man in i dont no about the money side of things what do you people think

Chris

Administrator
At the moment no, as good as our team is playing at the moment, when they do start playing a little worse, Adams seems to be dragging them up and ensuring we win. I don't have the stats, but it feels like Adams has scored some pretty important goals for us so far.

Having 'retired' previously, he also doesn't really look out of place and with Paul Ragan saying we're still losing money, i'd imagine we're saving money having Francis on the bench and Adams being a player/coach.

I've had a different opinion in previous seasons, and probably even at the start of this season, but as it's very clearly working at the moment we should stick with it.

Chris.

I haven't been the biggest fan of Adams in the past, but as Chris said, he seems to be popping up with some vital goals this season and I'd maybe even go as far as saying it's the best I've seen him play in the 4 seasons I've been watching Devils. In terms of coaching, Franny on the bench has made a big difference and I think only having player-coach isn't the way forward for any team - you still need someone decent on the bench as well.

I've said it all season, we have true leaders this year. When we are struggling in a game, it is always the same people who do something special to drug us out of the slump. G has been a key part of this, as has finnerty, Michel and vother.