Play Off seeding

Thread starter #1
If I am interpretting the seeding arrangements correctly FIFE FLYERS will occupy the 2nd seed position.

Devils could be anywhere between 1st and 6th seed.

DevilDom

I think as it stands we would be 2nd seeds and Fife would be 3rd.

Elite league winners get 1st seed.

If the league winners do not win their conference the two conference winners take the next 2 positions determined by who finishes higher in the overall league.

So seeds as it stands would be

1. Steelers
2. Devils
3. Flyers
4. Clan
5. Giants
6. Panthers
7. Stars
8. Blaze

wildthing74

I just hope we come out on top or minimum conference champs to get a decent PO opponent. Last year was brutal being one win in Sheff away from winning the league to playing Belfast :cry:

bdevil

I'm pretty sure last year it was slightly different. If the League winners don't win their conference then the winner of the conference which does not generate the league winner takes the second seeding spot. I may be wrong but this is what I recall from last year..

DevilDom

bdevil said:
I'm pretty sure last year it was slightly different. If the League winners don't win their conference then the winner of the conference which does not generate the league winner takes the second seeding spot. I may be wrong but this is what I recall from last year..
I'm not one to defend the league but I think it was the same last year as Devils suffered as a result dropping down to 4th seed and having to play the Giants who were 5th, after Panthers won the conference and jumped up a place.

Have Hope#35

DevilDom said:
bdevil said:
I'm not one to defend the league but I think it was the same last year as Devils suffered as a result dropping down to 4th seed and having to play the Giants who were 5th, after Panthers won the conference and jumped up a place.
I'm with you... I'm almost certain it was the same last year! Does anyone know how we stand in the Conference? I know if we Win one more Conference game Sheffield & Nottingham can only tie with us... Are we better off on Regulation Wins? 4pt weekend seals it, C'mon you Devils!

bdevil

DevilDom said:
bdevil said:
Yes, that is correct. But what I'm saying is, last year was a bit coincidental since Braehead won the conference that didn't generate the league winners but also finished second. It went:

Sheffield (as league winners)
Braehead (as winner of conference that didn't generate league winner)
Nottingham (as winner of conference that did generate league winner)
then based on league position.

All that it would mean based on you're seedings is Fife would be seeded second as opposed to us.

does that mean then that if we finish second but get demoted to third because the other conference didn't generate the league winner that we also lose the European place too as we will be deemed to have finished 3rd?

Have Hope#35

Clarification: Playoffs
The season ends with the playoffs. The top eight seeds progress to the two-legged quarter-finals (home and away).

The Elite League champions will be seeded number one for the playoffs, while the second seed will be the winner of the Conference that does not produce the league winner.

The remaining six playoff spots will be taken in order from the final Elite League table.

In the event of the league title winner not winning their Conference, the order will be as follows.

The number-one seed will still be the Elite League winners with the two Conference winners taking seeds two and three (higher rank determined by their league position).

Seeds four to eight will then be determined by the Elite League table.

Quarter-finals will follow the usual match-ups over two legs with seed one facing eight, two against seven, three versus six and four playing five.

Overtime and penalties will be used after the second leg if needed.

Playoff finals weekend takes place at Nottingham’s National Ice Centre, usually in the first weekend of April, with the semi-finals taking place on the Saturday and the third v fourth-placed match and Grand Final on the Sunday.

Seedings for the semi-final and final will be determined by the original quarter-final ranking, so the highest-placed team left in the playoffs will be ranked as the highest seed.

The highest seed will play the lowest seed in the first semi-final, with the remaining seeds playing in the second semi-final.

The two losing semi-finalists will meet in the third v fourth-placed match, while the winners will go head to head in the Elite League playoff final.

Important bit is above in Bold! 2nd would mean 2nd if someone in our Conference Wins the League. Almost certain this is how it was last season too!?

devils1990 said:
does that mean then that if we finish second but get demoted to third because the other conference didn't generate the league winner that we also lose the European place too as we will be deemed to have finished 3rd?
Yes

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Have Hope#35

robert.newbolt.3 said:
devils1990 said:
Yes

No... Europe is determined by League position, not Playoff Ranking!

robert.newbolt.3 said:
devils1990 said:
Yes

My understanding of it is that we would still be seeded second for the playoffs if we did not win the league but still won our conference. If Fife won the other conference then they would be seeded third because they will finish lower in the league table than us.
I hope I am reading this correct because being seeded third could be a nightmare when you look at who could finish in sixth place.

Hopefully we will win the league and our conference and end up seeded 1st.

robert.newbolt.3 said:
devils1990 said:
Yes

No! The post above regarding seeding for some reason does not include this middle paragraph:

"In the event of the league title winner not winning their Conference, the order will be as follows.

The number-one seed will still be the Elite League winners with the two Conference winners taking seeds two and three (higher rank determined by their league position).

Seeds four to eight will then be determined by the Elite League table."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have Hope#35

Hotdog said:
robert.newbolt.3 said:
devils1990 said:
Yes

No! The post above regarding seeding for some reason does not include this middle paragraph:

"In the event of the league title winner not winning their Conference, the order will be as follows.

Seeds four to eight will then be determined by the Elite League table."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That bit is in there... It's even in bold ;)

DevilDom

As it stands after last night the seeding would mean we would meet Blaze in the play-offs. I know we have done well against them most of the season however I really wouldn't like to see that as they are probably the form team in the league at the moment.

Makes winning the league even more important or failing that lose every game and we'll probably get an easier tie! :lol: