PLANET ICE TO BUILD DEVILS' NEW ICE RINK

rocketbob

It's on the BBC news website too, with a picture. Not sure if this is the final design as they talk later in the article about starting to design it in late September.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

The design is certainly striking but I'm a bit worried it might end up looking like a leisure centre swimming pool in no time. I really really really hope that the seats will be in a bowl and not a horse-shoe shape!

Tonight was a total embarrassment. I lost count of the times that the maintenance men were called to fix gaps between the ice and boards and just plain holes in the ice. Fire extinguishers were used several times - would love to get an official H&S view on that!

On top of the toilets where door hinges are loose, taps are loose, hand dryers have cold air only and the stair barriers are left at an angle for anybody to fall over, this was just the icing on the cake.

CCC clearly did not inspect the current rink and its blatant lack of maintenance prior to making their decision.

I can feel a letter of complaint to both PI and CCC coming on.

BBW said:
Tonight was a total embarrassment. I lost count of the times that the maintenance men were called to fix gaps between the ice and boards and just plain holes in the ice. Fire extinguishers were used several times - would love to get an official H&S view on that!

On top of the toilets where door hinges are loose, taps are loose, hand dryers have cold air only and the stair barriers are left at an angle for anybody to fall over, this was just the icing on the cake.

CCC clearly did not inspect the current rink and its blatant lack of maintenance prior to making their decision.

I can feel a letter of complaint to both PI and CCC coming on.
I think your right, our rink is a total embarrasment. I hate it with a passion.

TheStub

Tonight, when the Blaze canst started the "at least we have ice" type chants, I couldn't help but envy them.

I took two hockey virgins tonight, and all the way through they just commented on how poor the ice and facilities were. Really loved the game though.

It was embarresing.

I think letters of complaint to the rink management and the council. If PI are getting the new rink, they need to know that the damsel wont stand for the crap.

TheStub said:
Tonight, when the Blaze canst started the "at least we have ice" type chants, I couldn't help but envy them.

I took two hockey virgins tonight, and all the way through they just commented on how poor the ice and facilities were. Really loved the game though.

It was embarresing.

I think letters of complaint to the rink management and the council. If PI are getting the new rink, they need to know that the damsel wont stand for the crap.

It makes you laugh though with the ice in the state it was in, you go in the bar and the manager of the gaff is sipping a cold pint of lager oblivious to the fact that the ice is non existant!!! Planet ice it should be called Planet slush - complete joke.

TheStub

Random jump. Why are there radient hearers in the bar? Couldn't they pump the waste heat from the ice plant in?

That way, they can crank the plant up with the saved energy.

It couldn't have come as a shock that the large crowd would warm the rink...turn it up in the afternoon

I agree, the lack of basic maintenance of the rink is dire, toilets with no locks (that you can probably pick up for a couple of quid in homebase) is totally unacceptable.

How the hell the ice in that one corner was so thin is beyond me.

Typical of Cardiff Council to award the contract to Planet Ice without even seeing what they 'provide' at the moment. However we all have to be behind them apparently.

Was an embarassment this evening, how the council can allow PI to build the next rink is beyond me..... although I bet there was an exchange of money somewhere as often happens with these sorts of bid :evil:

And as mentioned, the facilities are terrible and nothing seems to have been fixed since 4 months ago when we last visited. How difficult is it to have working locks in the toilet? :roll: But from other PI facilities I have visited, they all seem to be run on a no-maintenance scheme (sadly Gosport rink is suffering quite badly :cry: )

Instead of simply just writing on here about how disgusted you are with PI why don't you write a formal letter to the council? If there are enough letters of complaint they'll have to be seen to be doing something about it.

Finny

I take it from the BBC article then that there was no actual design submitted by Planet Ice?

Presumably their bid was along the lines of:

-We're the biggest operator of ice rinks in Europe.
-We have years of experience of running rinks with EIHL and other teams in it.
-Everyone loves us and we are yet to recieve a single complaint.

Bemusing to be honest - especially as the Devils seemed to already have plans for the rink. I guess we will have to take comfort from the fact that the Devils will be part of the design process. Could there still be a chance of it being a twin-pad development.

Finny

Also, the idea of the outside of the arena looking like melted ice is quite suitable after the problems last night.........

Finny said:
Also, the idea of the outside of the arena looking like melted ice is quite suitable after the problems last night.........
Very true :lol:

Im sure I read in the same article that speed of build was listed as a reason with going for PI (a single pad takes less time to build), but does this not seem extremly short sighted? Although with the "sports" village thats hardly suprising I guess.

Not the news I would have wanted to hear.

Last night's standard of ice was a disgrace.

Our 1st home game with a possible large number of newbies to ice hockey - what a great impression they will have formed about Ice Hockey Night in Cardiff.

What's that old saying - You never get a second chance to create a good 1st impression!!

I understand that the plant failed, and that's the reason for the ice to be sub-standard - but then If some money had been invested in maintaining the plant, by the operators, the problem should not have arisen in the first instance. You can't have the penny and the bun.

For an operator with So much experience in running and operating Ice Rinks to encounter these sorts of problems is a disgrace - this is the sort of thing one would expect a novice operator to fall foul of - Oh wait a moment....

I can see the next couple of years being buttock clenchingly character building.

vector said:
Has your car never broken down? You can service and fix something as often as you like but sometimes things just break!
Given the state on the lifting flooring, heaters in the toilets, plexi glass not replaced from the beginning of the last season (Hull brawl), why would the approach to maintaining the plant be any different? Also, who owns Olive, who is clearly past her best as she keeps breaking down too?

I came to ice hockey at the beginning of last season, with no bias towards or against PI. However, as a regular rink user, I am surprised now when something IS maintained!

vector said:
Has your car never broken down? You can service and fix something as often as you like but sometimes things just break!
So what you're saying is don't bother servicing or fixing anything as it's going to break anyway. I can see how P.I.s maintenance programme works now. Thanks. :D