Penalty Kill

Thread starter #1
It frustrates me whenever we are on the penalty kill Matt Towe is on the ice and i have forgotten how many times we have been scored against while Towey and other Brits have shared the PK duties, surely we should have two lines of import players killing penalties as they are our best players on the ice! like in the old days - we always went with our best players (imports).

I'm no expert on ice hockey strategies - but I agree with the first post - I thought your supposed to put your best penalty killers out. Then again, maybe Towe is one of the best we have when it comes to that.

Finny

Towe is usually one of our best penalty killers. The problems seemed to be more the fact that we kept changing lines last night at the wrong times.

Rempel16

Yep, his points production hasn't quite developed as yet, or at least considering his epl points return before he signed for us. However, his skating ability allows for him to be a very good penalty killer and i think he's one of the better pk'ers on the team, with Michel and Smith being our two best.

dave hardman said:
surely we should have two lines of import players killing penalties as they are our best players on the ice!
Not necessarily, you'll find that a lot of the best players in NHL teams hardly ever go on the penalty kill, for example Alex Ovechkin one of the best players in the world is rarely on the ice penalty killing. Even though he'd probably be perfect for it, fast, strong and the danger of him on a breakaway would always be in the back of the attacking teams mind. But people reckon the coach doesn't want him to be blocking shots as they could injure him. Which I guess is fair enough, you don't want your best player to be blocking the shots of the other teams best shooters! Plus in a match a few weeks ago the commentators were saying how, when the powerplay is coming to an end, that's when you want your best players like Ovechkin going out onto the ice, either trying to catch the players who have been on the whole power play while they're tired or coming up against the lower lines (as usually the best players would be on for the power play).

I think we should be concentrating on our power play at home too more than our penalty kill. We spend most of our power play in our defensive zone!

jimmy snels

agree with that our puck retention can border on terrible at times and when we end up in the defensive zone it takes 10seconds to move from behind our own net.....even if there's a minute left and we're losing!!!! :?