Payette Signs for Phoenix

Rempel16

Re: Current Rosters for EIHL Also-Rans 2009-2010

Well you gotta feel a little sorry for them. The Manchester fans were told at the announcement of the EPL move that Beauregard and Molin were interested in signing, and then they end up with Payette.

Would've made a good signing for the 3rd line of a few teams (us included).

Re: Current Rosters for EIHL Also-Rans 2009-2010

Rempel16 said:
Well you gotta feel a little sorry for them. The Manchester fans were told at the announcement of the EPL move that Beauregard and Molin were interested in signing, and then they end up with Payette.

Would've made a good signing for the 3rd line of a few teams (us included).
i agree, i think we should of got him on the 3rd line for us, the bad thing for him now tho is ther are not that many enforcers in that league, so i wouldnt be suprised if he doesnt get into that many fights.

Ocko

Great signing for the Phoenix, he'll run riot in that league with the only player that could take him on being Cornish.

TheStub

That may be a good thing for him. Yes, he is a big physical guy - but you can't doubt that the guy can play.

It is a sensible move for him. He will have a good few seasons in the EPL, probably being a good point scorer. As he has a British family, it will probably allow him to stay in hockey and stay in the UK.

Plus, he can start looking outside of hockey with the lighter schedule.

I fully expect to see a more skilful Payette, with less penalty minutes next season.

Rempel16

Ocko said:
Great signing for the Phoenix, he'll run riot in that league with the only player that could take him on being Cornish.
Cornish is in the ENL with Isle of Wight.

Chris Wiggins will be happy no doubt. He can throw 'em in that league and he now has a chance to get Andre on his card. I'm sure a few elite coaches will be looking at that result too.

Wiggins (6'6) has signed for Bison.

Wannabe2

Good signing for the Phoenix, a loss to the elite league for his entertainment ability. Glad he didnt come here mind you, as i think we will be aiming at higher things this season.

Im going to miss the donkey. Love him or hate him, the guy was always entertaining. Great signing for the Phoenix though. The league is taking on a different shape this season with the majority of teams including ourselves looking at a hockey playing roster rather than a fighting one. Bring on the new season :)
CJ

I hope this isn't the start of the future for british hockey, if you know what I mean...

I for one enjoy fighting in hockey matches, I also love the hockey, so I dont just turn up to see the fights. But, with less of these "Characters" signing in the league and all the coaches opting to sign a more skillfull team, I feel that we are losing alot of the physical players (enforcers) and that may lead to us adapting to a european style of hockey, which is considerably less physical (so I am told)

I really hope this doesnt happen

:/

As much as we are heading towards a more skilled style of hockey i think the fighting element will always be a part of british ice hockey, you probably won't see quite as much of it but i think its better to make them more rare, makes them that bit more entertaining when they do occur :p

Good to see Payette getting a job in the UK.. Always entertaining to watch and made the Vipers v Giants games a lot more enjoyable... He should find it a lot easier in the EPL and put up decent points as well as being the toughest guy in the league...

Gazza272

scottydoesntknow said:
I hope this isn't the start of the future for british hockey, if you know what I mean...

I for one enjoy fighting in hockey matches, I also love the hockey, so I dont just turn up to see the fights. But, with less of these "Characters" signing in the league and all the coaches opting to sign a more skillfull team, I feel that we are losing alot of the physical players (enforcers) and that may lead to us adapting to a european style of hockey, which is considerably less physical (so I am told)

I really hope this doesnt happen

:/

But the characters who are going were pants in the playing stakes.

What we are left with now are guys like Voth and Cruickshank, G, Bergin, Derek Campbell etc.

I can actually see fighting going UP as players who do drop them in this league will be on the ice more, and have more chance to get niggly etc.

The loss of Cornish,Payette, Sharp is only a good thing from my perspective.

TheStub

Gazza272 said:
But the characters who are going were pants in the playing stakes.

What we are left with now are guys like Voth and Cruickshank, G, Bergin, Derek Campbell etc.

I can actually see fighting going UP as players who do drop them in this league will be on the ice more, and have more chance to get niggly etc.

The loss of Cornish,Payette, Sharp is only a good thing from my perspective.
I am with you, I think. I enjoy a good fight, but prefer to see actual hockey being played. This season, I can see there still being the fights - but no-one seems to have stocked their team up with guys to just fight.

That will benefit us, as when Brad get the penalty the other team will also loose a useful player.

We will also see more justified fights - with guys stepping up to protect their team mates.

The British game tends towards the North American style, due to the number of them running and playing in this league. But, in the more skilled leagues (NHL, AHL) fighting is a part of the game that happens, but is usually justified. Hopefully we will see some big hits, skilled play and less pointless fights this year.