Paul Ragan to make an announcement about NHL situation

Slartibartfast

I think G is a good coach but he is not the best in the league. He has done a great job on player recruitment but does occasionally get out coached tactically as happened against Hull
My other concern with G is that every year it takes us to Christmas to work out the right combination of lines. If we got this right just slightly earlier we would have a least one league trophy by now.
This year the lines have been particularly difficult with the bans, the injuries and the temporary addition of Biz so I have some sympathy.However when Max returns the lines need to settle quickly.
I do feel Ragan is being given a hard time. He gave us Richie and Biz and a pretty good team considering the attendances. I for one hopes that he sticks with the Devils and sees us through to the new rink. We could do a lot worse for an owner.

KaneDevils

I can agree with this but the way in which Ragan goes about things is wrong, What makes him think he is qualified to select a coach ?
Who said he was qualified to select a coach? He's going on results/performances that haven't been good enough. I'm a fan of G too but to some he's bulletproof. If we lose a game that we should win, ie at home to Hull, away to Dundee, thats G's responsibility NOT PR's. Are failing power play, again down to coaching Not the owner. Players not giving 100% again, no fault of PR's. All these are factors in what appears to be another trophy less season. Point the finger in the right direction people.

Sheincar

KaneDevils said:
I can agree with this but the way in which Ragan goes about things is wrong, What makes him think he is qualified to select a coach ?
Who said he was qualified to select a coach? He's going on results/performances that haven't been good enough. I'm a fan of G too but to some he's bulletproof. If we lose a game that we should win, ie at home to Hull, away to Dundee, thats G's responsibility NOT PR's. Are failing power play, again down to coaching Not the owner. Players not giving 100% again, no fault of PR's. All these are factors in what appears to be another trophy less season. Point the finger in the right direction people.
So if G is edged out who is going to choose the coach?

A#45

Ragan, as owner of the Cardiff Devils has a right to say anything he likes about the club.

Whether it is actually wise to publically label the coach and the players complacent under achievers is another matter...

SFN

Ok, he can say what he likes but sometimes it doesn’t hurt to be a little diplomatic about things. A little tact and a little grace can go a long way.

KaneDevils

Sheincar said:
KaneDevils said:
So if G is edged out who is going to choose the coach?
I don't think PR wants G out. He has asked his coach and players for more, what's wrong with that. Or would people be happier for him to accept mediocrity?

Whilst Paul Ragan is not my favourite person in the world, I can understand why he chose to release the statement. Fans have been all over Facebook and Twitter saying that the performance of the team is not good enough and the results are poor and I have to be honest, I agree with them. I have been one of them.

What I don't understand though, is why everyone is jumping to the conclusion that he is saying that there is no more money to replace Biz. The way I have read it is that he has made the money available to G, left the decision up to G and G has decided not to bring anyone else in. From what I have seen, Ragan has always stood by G, backing him and giving him his full support. There is nothing wrong with Ragan asking his coach and players for more but did it need to be done in the way it was? Calling them complacent certainly was not the right thing to say in my opinion. Yes, their perfomances of late have been a little lacklustre at home but at least we are getting some wins. Albeit road wins, but a win is a win.

All we can do at the moment is continue to support the team and hope that things get better.

Sheincar

hockeyrocker26 said:
Whilst Paul Ragan is not my favourite person in the world, I can understand why he chose to release the statement. Fans have been all over Facebook and Twitter saying that the performance of the team is not good enough and the results are poor and I have to be honest, I agree with them. I have been one of them.

What I don't understand though, is why everyone is jumping to the conclusion that he is saying that there is no more money to replace Biz. The way I have read it is that he has made the money available to G, left the decision up to G and G has decided not to bring anyone else in. From what I have seen, Ragan has always stood by G, backing him and giving him his full support. There is nothing wrong with Ragan asking his coach and players for more but did it need to be done in the way it was? Calling them complacent certainly was not the right thing to say in my opinion. Yes, their perfomances of late have been a little lacklustre at home but at least we are getting some wins. Albeit road wins, but a win is a win.

All we can do at the moment is continue to support the team and hope that things get better.
So why in the Hull programme does G still say that everything is agreed for Biz to come back or "exploring other avenues in case we need to move in another direction" if he knew there's no possibility of either happening? Has he been misled the same as us?

KaneDevils

Perhaps when the Hull program was printed the lockout hadn't yet been sorted, was he not coming back anyway? Better offer from a higher ranked league I don't know. Maybe G has scoured the market and not found anyone suitable, who knows?
In all honesty I'm amazed we didn't bring Colt King in. Just what we need imo.
Is it safe to assume that not having a replacement for Biz is G's decision?

Finny

KaneDevils said:
I can't work out how anyone would come to that assumption?

If we don't have the money anymore then fine. I don't want us to go bust again.
But the problem is that Paul Ragan stated several times that they had come to an agreement with Biz. Which means either:

a) Biz was going to play for free
b) The money to be used for Biz is no longer available.

Whilst I doubt we would have been paying much in terms of wages to Biz, his insurance would surely have been similar to what an 11th import would be asking for?

For me the press release leads to more questions than it is answering.

I try to keep my opinions to myself most of the time as im all to appreciative that my opinions may not be the same as others, but c'mon folks PR isnt doing all that bad of a job with us.
He took over a failed business, took on a business in poor financial state and is slowly turning us around into a a viable in the long term project. I for one dont agree with his every move but as a business man and looking at where he is taking us in the long term, then quite simply i have no complaints. I dont really understand why he's having such a blasting and i think his release is fair comment.
I took his explanation of not getting anyone else in to mean that he extended the budget beyond what was initially agreed to bring back Richie and to bring in Biz. If Biz were to have returned then the budget extension would have continued but as he's not then with crowd numbers etc, etc he doesnt think its finacially viable to spend anymore - he holds the purse strings after all and thats his choice, he knows our finacial state better than the fans and im sure is only doing what he feels is best. Maybe im being naive.
The performance of the team does not come down to the owner, fact. In any other sport, if the team doesnt perform then the manager, coach or whoever is in charge is held to account..... for some reason in Cardiff we seem to blame the owner for not spending more cash. Im fully behind G, i think he's the best man for the job, i think all teams have a blip and the good times will return. Injuries and suspension, player changes and Biz going home leaving us short hasnt helped our cause and they arent planned for when G spends his budget.
Im positive good times are not far away, new bigger home will, im sure bring more people in, more sponsorship and more excitment. More money in the club should increase the player budget - if that doesnt happen then i think PR will get the criticism he deserves, but lets wait and see. I think were doing as best we can financially with what we have and have put together a decent team, worthy of a good crack at a 3rd/4th place finish...... lets give them and by that i mean the whole lot of them from owner to coach to player the support rather than just bitch about things not going right.

Ps - G to leave, never gonna happen!

Keep the faith people, keep the faith!

Gazza272

So it seems reading many tweets the main bone of contention seems to be people hinting that Brent is manipulating the situation to get G's job?

I'm guessing that is where a lot of anger is coming from?

KaneDevils

Finny said:
KaneDevils said:
I can't work out how anyone would come to that assumption?

If we don't have the money anymore then fine. I don't want us to go bust again.
But the problem is that Paul Ragan stated several times that they had come to an agreement with Biz. Which means either:

a) Biz was going to play for free
b) The money to be used for Biz is no longer available.

Whilst I doubt we would have been paying much in terms of wages to Biz, his insurance would surely have been similar to what an 11th import would be asking for?

For me the press release leads to more questions than it is answering.
PR made extra funds available to G to bring in Biz, now he's gone where would those extra funds have gone? Not unless as you suggest, Biz was playing for next to nothing. It's been mooted that they pay their own insurances?

Gazza272 said:
So it seems reading many tweets the main bone of contention seems to be people hinting that Brent is manipulating the situation to get G's job?

I'm guessing that is where a lot of anger is coming from
Finally, someone has the balls to say it. People are taking this out on PR but hinting at him being advised to do these things, but they won't name Brent. Probably because they're friends with him on twitter or it's easier to have a pop at PR.

I've been a big supporter of G, and largely he hasn't let us down his recruitment on a smaller budget, whilst allowing us to compete (for the most part anyway) with the bigger teams or with those getting much higher attendances than us.

But that doesn't excuse the failures so far this season, G must be the only coach in the league who is near enough bulletproof from the fans of his own team, infact even most fans from other teams don't question him. But the failure in the CC this season and some of the recent results leave a lot to be desired. At some point he and Franny have to take responsibility for some of our on ice failings, as hard as that might be for some our fans to accept.

The press release from PR might not be worded brilliantly, but it's mostly true. This forum used to have more people questioning the management but that's largely moved to twitter now until something goes wrong. Lots of people post with an 'I know something you don't know' style but then refuse to say anything, the same is happening now.

I've one person on twitter say they would rather Bob Phillips came back? Have you lost your mind or are you just normally out of your tree? Seems to me certain people with their own fanbases on twitter have blown this out of all proportion and are aiming their anger at largely the wrong person. Some of you have been very quiet on big issues that have not largely been reported or posted about on here, but now this hits you've become some sort of messiah.

I might not trust PR totally, but I think we'd be in a far worse position if he hadn't taken us on and stuck with us all these seasons. The wording surrounding Bissonnette is a bit of a letdown, but the NHL players were always going to be a special case and I don't think it's unreasonable to think PR might have funded his move similar to other clubs who brought NHL'ers in.

Anything Devils related always seems to be massively polarised, you're either with us or against us sort of mentality, you're not allowed or supposed to see anything in shades of grey.

Hopefully G, Franny and PR can sort this out and we'll see an improvement in performances especially at home and a decent push to claim 3rd or 4th.

Surely the main issue is us not winning enough games. PR has given us, on paper, a great team. Injuries and suspensions have dented our record massively but we are guilty of losing games we shouldn't just by our play.
As I've said before, I think G is a good coach overall but there are obvious issues with the gameplan, which is down to G. I may sound like a G basher but I still think he's a great coach and don't want anyone else; but I think he needs to look at the tactics we employ.
I think it's unfair to blame PR, he may have been unclear about the Biz issue and any further recruitment but we have a good, solid team as it is. The team needs to step up and get the wins.

Ger-Devils

Gazza272 said:

Yes that's what has been said at the rink and via social media.

Gazza272

DevilsPete said:
Finally, someone has the balls to say it. People are taking this out on PR but hinting at him being advised to do these things, but they won't name Brent. Probably because they're friends with him on twitter or it's easier to have a pop at PR.

Just before my post gets misconstrued. I'm not saying the Pope thing because I believe it.

I'm asking the question as I have seen it written and alluded too elsewhere, wondering if that was the case of peoples anger?

Gazza272 said:

Is this coming from the usual handful of 'charideeeeee' culprits?