Panthers v Devils - Sun 25th 5pm - Chat/Updates

bit gutted, had a bet on for us to win by 2 as well, could have got £100 :cry: nevermind. We could also have done with the blaze losing, seeing as they can potentially go ahead of us when they catch up on games. Doesn't sound like the guys put in a great performance, at least the scoreline wasnt so bad in the end though.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #23
Well, that was a weird game. On the plus side as I now live in Nottingham I can write something up real quick :)

I didn't see last nights game, or our 6-2 victory over the Panthers last weekend, but I was certainly expecting more from tonight. From the start it seemed to feel like we were always facing an uphill struggle and were going to be on the losing side.

From the start we seemed to be playing 'complex' hockey, fancy passes going wrong, fancy offensive pushes going wrong, defence missing. Despite conceding 6 goals, Lyle made some absolutely fantastic saves tonight, a couple of standing ovations to some of the saves, he really did keep us in this game tonight. That and the pipework, Panthers must have hit the pipes 3 or 4 times thanks to our defensive shortcomings...

When we played simple, we pressured Panthers and got some goals out of it, unfortunately we kept deciding to change this and play overly complex hockey that didn't work. The amount of times we lost the puck was unbelievable, perhaps a fine for every crap pass could sort some of the players out?

The Panthers played a good game though, they look dangerous on the push and their defence largely helped St-Pierre out, still he only let in 5, we let in 6 :(

Whilst I don't think the refereeing tonight made us lose, Hicks deserves a slap for being an absolute moron. Like Hanson, he was often so far behind the play he surely couldn't have seen what was happening at the other end of the ice. Why he refuses to call certain things I have no idea, several times our players were down because the Panthers high sticks, whilst no blood was drawn, surely it's a penalty?

The linesmen on the other hand were absolutely ******* useless tonight. I thought the refereeing was bad, but the linesmen were **** for both teams. Whoever the young lad is - I think it's the one mentioned in our program a month or so back? - should be shunted back down to the ENL, he clearly has no idea what the fuck is going on, the next time he wants to laugh at an insanely bad call, perhaps he could do it in the block where the away fans are sitting, might stop him being such an idiot on the ice.

I wish I could think of something more structured to write ala Finny and his game reports, but i'm too disappointed.

Latulippe won man of the match for us, 2 goals and probably deserved it. Michel again played well, but why we refused to hit ANYTHING until we were down 6-4 I have no idea, crap game plan and it clearly doesn't work.

As someone else also pointed out at the game, only in this league could the referees company sponsor the game he's refereeing...

Maybe tomorrow i'll have something nicer/better to write.

Chris. :x

Hang on, so this game counted for two competitions? What kind of a joke league is this? In what other sport would that happen in on a whim?! It's things like this that give the league its amateurish appearance (no wonder sponsors won't touch it).

Gaz G

El Supremo said:
Hang on, so this game counted for two competitions? What kind of a joke league is this? In what other sport would that happen in on a whim?! It's things like this that give the league its amateurish appearance (no wonder sponsors won't touch it).
This happens quite a lot with the panthers as they can't use the ice all the time because of concerts etc. As has been said before if they can't play the required number of games they shouldn't enter the competitions. However if they weren't in the cup, the cup would in my opinion lose value.

Chris.. After reading what you've said about our officials im disgusted, these are Welsh boys that have come up through our junior development and it takes alot for them to do what they do!
If you think you can do a better job than them how about you get your skates on and have a go your self and see how you get on!
It's fans like you that stop young men and women from doing the job of lines men etc..
They dont get paid enough to take un constructive criticism off people like you.

Wannabe2

Gemz25 said:
Chris.. After reading what you've said about our officials im disgusted, these are Welsh boys that have come up through our junior development and it takes alot for them to do what they do!
If you think you can do a better job than them how about you get your skates on and have a go your self and see how you get on!
It's fans like you that stop young men and women from doing the job of lines men etc..
They dont get paid enough to take un constructive criticism off people like you.
Then perhaps the league need to pay more, and attract better officiating, after all it is supposed to be a professional sport. Myself i wouldnt ask a plumber to build me a wall if the brickie was rubbish. We all realise its a thankless job, but it can only be taken really seriously when we have really serious officiating surely. And that cant be having a ref who is a local guy, you can take unbiasism too far, and we have seen that time and time again.

Gaz G said:
El Supremo said:
This happens quite a lot with the panthers as they can't use the ice all the time because of concerts etc. As has been said before if they can't play the required number of games they shouldn't enter the competitions. However if they weren't in the cup, the cup would in my opinion lose value.
I agree to an extent that if we can't play the games seperately then we probably shouldn't be in the competition, that's exactly what we did with the BKO Cup. However take a look at the icetime schedule for the NIC (CLICK) and you can see that available icetime is a big problem. As an example, my rec team have two sessions this week and then we have to wait at least four weeks before there is available icetime again!
Unfortunately demand for icetime at the NIC is far out-stripping supply, and we don't have the option of an alternative venue like Sheffield, Belfast and Newcastle.

Finny

Gemz25 said:
According to some of the comments on THF, the Panthers fans seem to think the linesmen were very poor too.

osh

Wannabe2 said:
Gemz25 said:
Then perhaps the league need to pay more, and attract better officiating, after all it is supposed to be a professional sport. Myself i wouldnt ask a plumber to build me a wall if the brickie was rubbish. We all realise its a thankless job, but it can only be taken really seriously when we have really serious officiating surely. And that cant be having a ref who is a local guy, you can take unbiasism too far, and we have seen that time and time again.
Wannabe, you are correct in what you quote. In an ideal world, we would have full time officials ( refs only ) who would be up for the task, but let's face it, an official doing perhaps 3 games a week would require a salary of perhaps a thousand ?? Multiply that by let's say 5 officials and we have a situation where our standard of hockey and the monery it generates cannot sustain 5 thousand pounds a week ! I think our standard of officiating is poor, but we play in a poor ( ££ )league unfortunately and that is reflected in our officials. I can't see an easy solution to this problem.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #34
To be honest, I don't care whether they're Welsh or not, they did a crap job on Sunday and i'm not going to sugar coat it depending on wher they're from.

Your argument is flawed, if you've ever given criticism to a player, perhaps you should take ice hockey up and do a better job yourself?

If I did something crap and I was being paid for it, chances are I wouldn't be running around laughing about it, the same goes for the officials on the ice on Sunday.

They might not get paid enough, but they still get paid to do a job, and on Sunday it was rubbish.

Unconstructive criticism? I'd say my rant was constructive criticism, do a better job at what you're getting paid to do, or drop back down the leagues and learn to do the job.

Chris.

Im sorry Chris you must be perfect at everthing and not had a bad day or made a bad decision.

As a sport we don't have enough officials as it is, the way i see it is if we don't have officials we don't have a game end of story.

Any training they do they pay for it out of there pocket if you feel they need more training maybe ticket prices should go up to help improve the standard of our officials?

If you feel so strongly about it would you be willing to pay more for your ticket knowing some of the money would go towards training for our league officials?

I very much doubt it! :D

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #36
Im sorry Chris you must be perfect at everthing and not had a bad day or made a bad decision.

As a sport we don't have enough officials as it is, the way i see it is if we don't have officials we don't have a game end of story.

Any training they do they pay for it out of there pocket if you feel they need more training maybe ticket prices should go up to help improve the standard of our officials?

If you feel so strongly about it would you be willing to pay more for your ticket knowing some of the money would go towards training for our league officials?

I very much doubt it! :D
Not sure where/why you have that impression, of course i've made bad decisions and had bad days, but they don't happen infront of 4000 odd people and they don't potentially effect the outcome of a professional sport. I also do my best to rectify the situation as opposed to laughing it off as 'one of those things'.

I'm well aware we don't have enough officials, if the league can/could add a surcharge of 50p or something to every ticket to improve the officiating then of course i'd be willing to pay it.

If it's one of the only ways we can get better officials, then so be it.

Chris.

The only way to bring any money into the sport is by getting bigger attendances.
Unfortunately ice hockey is seen as an american sport and not many know we have a league like we do.
The only publicity we get that everyone can see is on tv is 30seconds on a monday night at the end of the news and the games are only on sky sports extra that not everyone has so it limits what people see.

osh

Chris said:
Chris..

If I did something crap and I was being paid for it, chances are I wouldn't be running around laughing about it, the same goes for the officials on the ice on Sunday.

They might not get paid enough, but they still get paid to do a job, and on Sunday it was rubbish.

Unconstructive criticism? I'd say my rant was constructive criticism, do a better job at what you're getting paid to do, or drop back down the leagues and learn to do the job.

Chris.
If these officials were to drop back down the leagues as you have stated, who would then officiate ? Perhaps worse officials from lower leagues ? We have poor officials because we do not have the funds in place to be able to send them off for intensive training at higher levels. We see the same officials time and again mainly due to their proximity to whoever the home team is.Chris, I think your rant is just that, a rant born out of sheer frustration at inept officiating, poor funding and some times poor play by our own team, but it can't be changed, so we have to accept it