Panthers v Devils - 18/12 @ 16:00 - League - Chat/Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilDom

Disappointing scoreline which again appears to show a lack of consistency. Panthers certainly seem to have our number so far this year.

In 5 games v them now we have lost 4 and only scored 6 goals (1 empty net) and conceded 19!

Also interesting to note than in 15 periods of hockey I think they have blanked us for 11 periods. Not sure why we have so much problem scoring against them because most other teams don't seem to have the same problem!

Aw well, certainly makes for an interesting season but i'd hope to think as their supposedly biggest rivals Panthers would bring some big performances to the games against the Steelers rather than just us!

No surprise there with that result. There's absolutely no denying that Corey Neilson has Lord well and truly figured out. I knew the Panthers were a few imports down but didn't realise they were down to 4 d men which makes these results against them even worse for us. They've been average all season but we've made that injury-ravaged side look like the Pittsburgh Penguins at times this season.

Miika Wiikman must have a great laugh whenever he sees the Devils coming up on the fixture list. We need to completely change up our tactics when we next play the Panthers because whatever we're doing isn't working and Corey knows exactly what's coming. If we don't win the title, there's a big chance it'll be our results against the Panthers that are mainly to blame. Also, I wasn't at the game but according to others, we didn't turn up for the first 37 minutes and that's pretty unacceptable.

august04

Good to see Culligan return but given his recent form, I'm surprised Lord sat this one out (unless he's injured). I'd have scratched one or two others ahead of him. Disappointing result against a depleted Panthers team, who have been hammered by the likes of Sheffield all season.

ASHIPP

It was always going to be difficult to get a result at the NIC against a team who have an exellent defence, and after losing away last night, were not going to disappoint the home crowd with a poor performance.

It makes it all the more frustrating because the Panthers were short-benched which including 2 of their best defencemen out injured.

Neilsen drills his team well against the Devils - speedy play, exert v early pressure, catch the opposing defence out of position. V difficult for a team to make ground when they are chasing game by 3 early goals.

Neilson is experienced and called a timeout after 3-0 up (repeat of last week against us) and changed the gameplan too. It's as if Neilsen knows how the Devils are going to play.

Whilst Panthers are our nemesis Devils need to find away to crack this - remaining league games against Panthers will be crucial and if we are lucky to get through final stages of C Cup and Playoffs, they will be a massive obstacle to overcome.

Last edited:

Russky

There is a way to beat Nottingham and that is to get in their faces from the off to antagonise,
aggrevate and rile them. Crash the net at will or should that Wiikman to unsettle and unnerve him from the first puck drop. Hit them hard to draw the pens and make the most of the powerplay opportunities. Finally don't react to their provocation, don't give up too many turnovers, cut the sloppy passes out and STAY OUT OF THE BIN. Its not too much to ask is it?

Last edited:

Ocko

There is a way to beat Nottingham and that is to get in their faces from the offf to aggrevate and rile them. Crash the net at will or should that Wiikman to unsettle and unnerve him from the first puck drop. Hit them hard to draw the pens and make the most of the powerplay opportunities. Finally don't react to their provocation and don't give up too many turnovers and cut the sloppy passes out.
I don't think it's that simple. We crash the net and as soon as we are turned over we get caught on the break, which is what has happened at every game against them this year. We also aren't a crash and bang team anymore, especially when Lord isn't in the lineup we can't change our entire game plan from one night to the next.

Russky

@Ocko: Well have one or two guys hang back to prevent getting caught on the counter attack. In order to beat Nottingham it has to be 'horses for courses' approach and have a specific game plan and variations of that to deal with them, neutralise their threat and basically be physical and hit them hard enough to make them scared of us.

It puzzles me that we seem to have Sheffield's number, Sheffield have Nottingham's and yet we cant beat Nottingham at the moment! Lordo probably already does this but perhaps he needs to look more closely at the Sheffield V Nottingham games to see what it is Sheffield do to undermine Nottingham's game plan/tactics and apply it to the Devils/Panthers games

Last edited:

Samael

Frustrating. Unless things change and some extra homework is done, if we meet the panthers in the playoffs or the cc cup we wont be banking those trophies this year. It's strange how teams we can beat consistently make Nottingham look average and yet they consistently neutralize what we throw at them. I'm just grateful their management/ownership is so slack because if they were on the ball the panthers would be dominating domestically. The panthers fans all complain about Nielson and want rid of him but I think they are just a bit spoiled. If they sack him at the end of this year I say we get him as assistant coach to Lordo, he'd learn a shed load. Then lets build a 21k arena with on ice projection, have NHL & KHL exhibition games and have jennifer lawrence in a furry bikini driving the Zambouni (sp?) in period breaks, sorry I'm starting to sound like electro now....

Personally I would have taken a 2 or 3 point weekend over the last couple of weekends. No problem at all.

Seriously.....where do you want us to be right now?

voth26

Frustrating. Unless things change and some extra homework is done, if we meet the panthers in the playoffs or the cc cup we wont be banking those trophies this year. It's strange how teams we can beat consistently make Nottingham look average and yet they consistently neutralize what we throw at them. I'm just grateful their management/ownership is so slack because if they were on the ball the panthers would be dominating domestically. The panthers fans all complain about Nielson and want rid of him but I think they are just a bit spoiled. If they sack him at the end of this year I say we get him as assistant coach to Lordo, he'd learn a shed load. Then lets build a 21k arena with on ice projection, have NHL & KHL exhibition games and have jennifer lawrence in a furry bikini driving the Zambouni (sp?) in period breaks, sorry I'm starting to sound like electro now....
Yep you are just joking although I really the Jennifer Lawrence idea a lot

Ocko

well have one or two guys hang back to prevent getting caught on the counter attack. In order to beat Nottingham it has to be 'horses for courses' approach and have a specific game plan and variations of that to deal with them, neutralise their threat and basically be physical and hit them hard enough to make them scared of us.

It puzzles me that we seem to have Sheffield's number, Sheffield have Nottingham's and yet we cant beat Nottingham at the moment! Lordo probably already does this but perhaps he needs to look closely at the Sheffield V Nottingham games to see what it is Sheffield do to undermine Nottingham's game plan/tactics.
Sorry that just doesn't work. You can't have guys hang back if your playing a crash the net strategy. You have a puck carrier, the guy crashing the net and someone in the high slot. It's what you get taught as a kid. If the high slot guy isn't there and has dropped back to stop a counter you're just shooting and hoping, and taking offensive players out of the game; at this level that just won't cut it.

And no matter how physical we are we are never going to scare Nottingham. They're a pro team with tough players themselves. If they get scared they're in the wrong job.

Panthers only doing to us what we are doing to Sheffield.
Certain teams styles get countered by other styles
Devils beating sheff... panthers beating us.

As previously said on here, Devils need to switch it up a bit vs the panthers

Russky

I don't believe that the Panthers are unbeatable, Sheffield and Belfast have proved that. The Devils have to find out how to beat them. If the form guide becomes reality in days ahead, it will be Panthers v Sheffield in the challenge cup Semi, with Steelers progressing to the final. I wont tempt fate but I would expect Belfast to face the Devils in the other Semi, on balance of current probability. If the Devils cant find a way to beat the Panthers, I hope that one of the other teams along the way dispose of the Panthers and end their League challenge so that any results the Panthers have against the Devils wll be negated by points gained by the Devils and taken from the Steelers etc

Last edited:

Samael

Personally I would have taken a 2 or 3 point weekend over the last couple of weekends. No problem at all.

Seriously.....where do you want us to be right now?
CONSISTENTLY beating our conference rivals would be nice, but If that's not possible I'd like to be watching Ms. J Lawrence doing the resurfacing duties in the period breaks, which seems more likely at the moment.

Samael

IMHO we have too many offensive D which is why we get caught out on turnovers. Think some of our D need to be reminded of their role.
Sorry for the double post (dunno how to do multi quotes) but what she said, 100% this. I'm not going to be so tactful now and I'm going to name names but when A Hotham and Fournier start fannying around trying to be fancy the team more often than not gets punished. I understand their frustration when the forwards are not hitting the back of the net but for god's sake surging forward then getting turned over wont help.

ASHIPP

The Panthers may not win the League this season but they will have a massive say in which team does. Devils still have a fair few games against them to play.

They are only going to get stronger - injured players will return, new player in after Xmas.

With the cup competitions, Panthers are current Playoff champions and have won the CC so many times in recent seasons. There is a strong possibility the Devils could meet them in final stages of either competition.

Samael

the two back to back away games in Belfast and the away games to Sheffield in March are crucial too. As someone stated earlier, you can guarantee the panties will gift Sheffield 4 points over Christmas though.

Status
Not open for further replies.