Our match night programme

rolf

Thread starter #1
Okay so I am wearing my bullet-proof thong, so please don't be afraid to take a few pot shots at me, but what the heckle is goin on with our programme? I was gifted one tonight and I couldn't believe the paucity of information in there................

1 the total lack of stats on either a player or team level, where are we in the league? who's our top points/pim/assister or anything else????

2 mark finn regurgitates hockeydb stats and tries to palm em off as an insight into the opposition......chrissakes just phone em up and ask a few relevant questions!!!!!

3 loadsa out of date pics, featuring a grinning Rod Hinks......remember him?

4 two pages on football and that cheat terry henry's dumping the paddy's out of the world cup. Like i give a xxxx......2 pages of my life I'd like back again, but will never get.

5 then above-all, the best, the match day birthday sponsorship was wrong.......hahaha

Shouldda cost me 3 quid, but in me bin for nothing, even the fixture list is wrong......boster!!

Havent bought a programme since first game of the season as its nowhere near as good as it was. As you say its full of ' RUBBISH' and all out of date. A bit like the photos they use in the Echo :evil:

Finny

If you feel you can do better Rolf you are more than welcome to contribute. I am yet to do next week's article on Sheffield - I am happy for you to take my place this week.
Yes the article I wrote is pretty much taken from hockeydb (along with a couple of other sites), but I don't have the time or money to go all the way up to Newcastle and interview them myself.

The stats and table are usually in the programme. However, because this is a midweek programme most of it has to be done before the weekend and so I guess Richard had to fill the programme with as much non-uptodate articles as possible. I know I was up until the early hours of monday morning making sure my articles were completed so that he could print them first thing morning morning.

I actually really enjoyed the "Hand Of God" article by Aled Lloyd. It was something a bit different and it wasn't all about football, it was how they were trying to cut 'cheating' out of hockey and how it could be improved further.

As I said at the start Rolf, I am offering you the chance to show me how I can improve and show me what a profile on an away team player should like. I haven't done any of the Steelers players yet this season so you have the whole team to choose from.

PM me when it is done (by Friday please) and I'll give you the email address to send it to.
Thanks.

Finny.... I would shudder to think what would be printed had you not sourced stats from elsewhere, i personally enjoy your comments and knowing how much of the game you miss (I done the comments for Mnl up in newcastle) I appreciate the work you put into it.
The programme produced for the vipers game was absolute garbage and gave a right up on steelers who were playing the following evening !!! Our programme may have its faults but it is still far better than most.
Carry on the good work

Wannabe2

Think people are being very very unfair, towards what is probably the finest program in the league. It cant be easy to produce a proggy days after the last issue, and the incredible work that Richard does for very little income, while still trying to earn a living speaks volumes for him as a person, and as a extremely avid fan. The program is just another way of trying to bring a few bob into the club we all have such passion for, and having seen what the other lot have to offer, i think we are in pole position, without a doubt. Anyway i will still continue to purchase one, and for the extremely hard work that people put into it, i thank you very very much.

Skippy

Having seen the photocopied, badly edited, badly laid out and oddly printed rubbish that passes for progams around the rest of the league I would say that ours is pretty darn good.

Martynwo

I'm sure deadlines, frequency of matches and thinking of articles puts pressure
on writers, who are volunteers, to supply articles in time for the printing so like Finny
suggests I also will look forward to Rolf's input to the program.

Without a doubt, the Devils programme is the best in the league - and by far the best quality. In terms of the content, I am 100% sure that Richard would love to have a huge pool of writers at his disposal to write articles in time for the print deadline. However he does not have this. I know how much effort it takes to write an article, and I just do a tiny section each week. My hat goes off to the amount of work that Finny and Vic etc do in order to get the amount of information they do and also get it written up by the deadline (I doubt you realise just how much work these two actually do!). This is then followed up by Richard putting together the best quality programme around.

Remember this week we had a game on Sunday - the deadline for articles for Wednesday's game was Monday morning - you add some sleep in there before work then you can see that not a lot of time was available for "up-to-date" information for the programme for last night - yer we still had a high quality programme.

Remember this - all the writers are volunteers...and whilst there is always room for improvement in anything that you do, if you feel that you can do a good job then why not offer your services to the cause then?

In typical Devils fans style it is a case of having a go over something without then offering to help to improve it.

ASHIPP

Unfair criticism here for what is actually one of the best programmes around the League. As for using old photos, the Devils own website is equally guilty of that and anyway we are not talking about many photos. Loving the articles on our players - more interviews with them would be great. And a bit more about DCF with a timetable, perhaps. As for stats - must be difficult at times to print this accurately because of printing deadlines. My only little niggle is that 2 of the pages have been stuck together in 2 issues - bit frustrating when it cuts off across G's Coaches Corner! :D

If anyone is interested in writing for the programme then please send me a pm. We have definitely been short of writers this year which has led to Finny, Chris and myself having to write a lot of content ourselves, thankfully aided by Terry and Aled when their schedules allow. I myself have not been able to write anything for the last couple of weeks because of the flu, which has put extra pressure on the other guys, and of course Richard who has the extremely difficult job of putting it all together. Each of us who volunteer to write for the programme have full time careers and try to fit our writing around that, so as you can imagine it can be pretty hard to make short deadlines, particularly when we have a lot of mid-week games to consider.

We'd love to expand our team of writers so if you have any constructive criticism or ideas then please do let us know as it will help us to improve the programme. Also, if any of you are interested in helping with the writing we would really appreciate hearing from you, the more volunteers the better the content, so please send me a pm if you'd like to help.

Russky

I think the Programme is the best in the league by far and now as I dont contribute to it I can honestly say without bias that it is still as such!

Aside from my own former involvement, The programme has evolved in new hands! I think Finny's articles are as good as ever, Chris is doing a fine job having taken on the match reports! and the sheer print quality is as good as ever - well done to Richard and all at Doverco!

To my mind there are definitely too many adverts and not enough features as it used to have but the adverts bring in revenue for the club so it is a delicate balancing act that the Editor has!

Without wanting to make a political point, the Programme when under the editorship of Anne Hall was a masterpiece each issue, but as I say it is evolving under different editorial control so there we have it and we have to put up with it! IF you dont want to put up with it then dont buy it!! Use your £3 on shirt of his back or buy more 50/50 tickets and help towards funding the various junior hockey activities the club has!

Russky said:
I think the Programme is the best in the league by far and now as I dont contribute to it I can honestly say without bias that it is still as such!

Aside from my own former involvement, The programme has evolved in new hands! I think Finny's articles are as good as ever, Chris is doing a fine job having taken on the match reports! and the sheer print quality is as good as ever - well done to Richard and all at Doverco!

To my mind there are definitely too many adverts and not enough features as it used to have but the adverts bring in revenue for the club so it is a delicate balancing act that the Editor has!

Without wanting to make a political point, the Programme when under the editorship of Anne Hall was a masterpiece each issue, but as I say it is evolving under different editorial control so there we have it and we have to put up with it! IF you dont want to put up with it then dont buy it!! Use your £3 on shirt of his back or buy more 50/50 tickets and help towards funding the various junior hockey activities the club has!
Agree almost totally with that. Richard has always produced a high quality programme without a shadow of a doubt Anne was a very fine editor, not sure who has taken on that role since she left? As regards the adverts then I do feel there are to many this season, yes of course a lot of them bring revenue into the club, not all though, but we do seem to have a lot more full page adverts than previously.
As for the guys that write the articles then they do a great job, please don't knock them until you have tried to do it yourself!!!!

[quote="phil PLT
Agree almost totally with that. Richard has always produced a high quality programme without a shadow of a doubt Anne was a very fine editor, not sure who has taken on that role since she left? As regards the adverts then I do feel there are to many this season, yes of course a lot of them bring revenue into the club, not all though, but we do seem to have a lot more full page adverts than previously.
As for the guys that write the articles then they do a great job, please don't knock them until you have tried to do it yourself!!!![/quote]

I agree, Anne did a fantastic job as editor and I think part of the problem is that there is no editor as such at the moment so Richard has a hard job trying to bring everyone's individual work together each issue. Thank you very much to the people who have already pm'd me to say they're happy to write for the programme, I look forward to reading your work.

something just came to me whilst reading this thread. On SOCCER AM they have a feature called team mates. When they have questions like who is the joker? who is the best dressed? who listens to the best music? and so on including the longest in the shower?...............

i know we have something similar but maybe could go down this route for a few weeks

Great idea Andy - I might try and arrange something like that for the Boxing Day programme - hockey players love to wind each other up and Christmas seems a good excuse :)

Thanks for the idea and keep them coming.

rolf

Thread starter #20
Ha ha a few dents to the thong but nothing major, so please don't be too alarmed, I am ok. Glad to see my brothers-in-arms have pretty much unanimously stood together and sung with one voice, I wondered if they might.

Anyways, it looks like I have been invited to join the editorial board of this organ, and I am very pleased to say a massive YES.

Mr Finn, I am not sure of your deadline cut-off today, but I have put some feelers out for a contribution for me to make on Weds, just depends when they get back to me. I only read your kind offer about an hour ago,but have sought an extension from the devils and have contacted both coaches involved, so hopefully something will materialise. If not I wll definitely produce something for the next game after the steelers visit. That's a promise.

I cannot get pm to work for me on this site, so if I am needed I am on 07802 377880 and will be delighted to talk that way.

Happy programme days folks.....